Joey Gatewood usage

WFE12

16 minutes ago, amsterjam said:

I don't think anyone is saying he should for sure be benched. I think most are saying Joey deserves at least a chance so see what he can do while at the very least give Nix a breather and let him clear his head for a minute. Some people act like they would rather see Auburn lose than see Gatewood get a shot to see if he can help and I don't understand that logic.

It's because they're so caught up in the "feel good Bo Nix grew up an AU fan and his daddy played for AU" story. Someone on here legit said weeks ago that it means so much to the AU family that Bo Nix is the starting QB for Auburn because his daddy played here. Who cares! A narrative won't win you any games! Sometimes this "Auburn Family" mess sets us back. The same reason why Gus is still here but shouldn't be. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I´ve seen several comment to the effect the ¨Bo Nix is the future of Auburn football.¨ Although I would like to believe it, it isn´t written and stone and it remains to be seen. A lot of us thought the same thing about Jeremy Johnson. At this point, it´s game-to-game and a couple more games like the FL game and Gus will have to pull the trigger with Gatewood. Won´t he?

53 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I´ve seen several comment to the effect the ¨Bo Nix is the future of Auburn football.¨ Although I would like to believe it, it isn´t written and stone and it remains to be seen. A lot of us thought the same thing about Jeremy Johnson. At this point, it´s game-to-game and a couple more games like the FL game and Gus will have to pull the trigger with Gatewood. Won´t he?

I dont even think its a couple, if the guy gives you one more poor performance against a nothing team (arkansas) and then doesnt show up for the first half of the LSU game, you gotta yank him. If his confidence is shot, oh well, its not like Gus or the offense has anything to lose. And alot of the Auburn Family would use this phrase to describe other players that arent legacies, but if "he cant handle that type of adversity, that's on him". IDK why we (in the collective sense, not I) have to coddle a freshman when we are perfectly okay with suggesting that another, supposedly near-equally as talented freshman, stay and waste away as a backup for the next 3.5 years.

Gatewood is the prime example of why the Transfer Portal exists and should remain in existence. There's no logical reasoning as to why he didn't get at least a few snaps against Florida. We should have been throwing the whole playbook at them and we didn't.

The moment Gus said he hadn't thought about including him in a package and that he should have is frustrating. Reminded me of last year when Gus botched the redshirt for a player and essentially said "oops".

Incompetent.

13 hours ago, amsterjam said:

So according to your logic we should bench Tega and Iggy since they've been at their position a shorter amount of time than JG has been playing QB

I guess you missed this report but I'm sure you know more than his own teammates anyway so no worries.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-teammates-cant-help-but-compare-Joey-Gatewood-to-Cam-Newton-131238295/

You linked an article written back in April.  That's pretty much a different era.  The same things were said about Woody Barret.

In fall camp, the reports were that Gatewood couldn't lead the team to score touchdowns, while Nix could.

I'm sure Gatewood can run somewhat like Cam could.  Arkansas State will be overjoyed to get him next year.  Or the next.

35 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

In fall camp, the reports were that Gatewood couldn't lead the team to score touchdowns, while Nix could.

He must have regressed under Gus from his spring A day performance.

9 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

You linked an article written back in April.  That's pretty much a different era.  The same things were said about Woody Barret.

I'm sure Gatewood can run somewhat like Cam could.  Arkansas State will be overjoyed to get him next year.  Or the next.

With the orange jerseys on right? If they could wear them during the games then your point might be valid.

10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

He must have regressed under Gus from his spring A day performance.

I don't remember ever seeing that reported

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't remember ever seeing that reported

Me either. I should have used yellow font.  My point was, he didn't have any trouble leading scoring drives on A day, so why would he all of a sudden have trouble in fall camp?

On 10/6/2019 at 10:08 PM, GTNupe11 said:

It's because they're so caught up in the "feel good Bo Nix grew up an AU fan and his daddy played for AU" story. Someone on here legit said weeks ago that it means so much to the AU family that Bo Nix is the starting QB for Auburn because his daddy played here. Who cares! A narrative won't win you any games! Sometimes this "Auburn Family" mess sets us back. The same reason why Gus is still here but shouldn't be. 

Exactly it sells tv time. Look how much time the network took showing clips of Pat to Sanders pics. To bad for college football we have become more about tv time than enjoying kids playing ball. I would discourage any young person today from commuting to the circus D1 football has become . It is like junior NFL and I’ve got to the point I don’t even watch NFL anymore.

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Me either. I should have used yellow font.  My point was, he didn't have any trouble leading scoring drives on A day, so why would he all of a sudden have trouble in fall camp?

in either situation the guy should have a substantial adv if QBs could run and yet, Gus still doesnt allow Qbs to do so 

22 hours ago, amsterjam said:

With the orange jerseys on right? If they could wear them during the games then your point might be valid.

Look, I was on Team Gatewood all summer and part of fall.  And I'm sure he can run very well, like he did in spring practice.

That is, until the opposing defense figures out that he can't pass very well, which is probably what happened when they went head-to-head in fall camp with full playbook, instead of the limited playbook that was utilized in the spring.  Orange jerseys notwithstanding.

The only way Gatewood will see significant playing time at AU will be if Nix is injured, or has several more games like the Florida game and needs a break to clear his shellshocked head.  

And if Gatewood gets his shot and proves to be a good passer as well as a good runner and overtakes Nix for the starting job, then fine by me.  I just don't believe that will happen.

Go ahead and buy yourselves a Bo Nix jersey.

17 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Look, I was on Team Gatewood all summer and part of fall.  And I'm sure he can run very well, like he did in spring practice.

That is, until the opposing defense figures out that he can't pass very well, which is probably what happened when they went head-to-head in fall camp with full playbook, instead of the limited playbook that was utilized in the spring.  Orange jerseys notwithstanding.

The only way Gatewood will see significant playing time at AU will be if Nix is injured, or has several more games like the Florida game and needs a break to clear his shellshocked head.  

And if Gatewood gets his shot and proves to be a good passer as well as a good runner and overtakes Nix for the starting job, then fine by me.  I just don't believe that will happen.

If Gus knows one thing its that his offense works way better with a dual threat QB, especially one the size of Cam Newton.  I think Gus gave Joey every opportunity to when the starting job this spring/fall and I think that even if Bo only slightly edged out Joey as a better passer, Joey would still start.  This is the same coach that thought a backup JUCO QB could solve the offenses problem in '16. (Yes I know Lashlee was the main recruiter) and we saw how that Vanderbilt game worked out. I would still like for Gus to give him an opportunity with the full playbook though so we could just end the argument.

That being said, I have a very close relative that gets to attend a couple scrimmages/practices every Spring and Fall.  When I asked who would be the starting QB he said Bo.  Said the defense completely dominated the scrimmages and Bo was the only one that could actually move the ball due to being able to escape the pocket, keep his eyes down field, and make an accurate pass.  He said Joey would just tuck and run every time he saw pressure and it seemed like they were trying to break him of that habit.  

23 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Except if you believe in summer reports, like alluded to above, Nix threw plenty of Ints. More than Gatewood. What say you?

4 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Except if you believe in summer reports, like alluded to above, Nix threw plenty of Ints. More than Gatewood. What say you?

Whenever someone says they were team so and so when you're talking QB's you should stop listening right then....

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Whenever someone says they were team so and so when you're talking QB's you should stop listening right then....

It's getting pretty bad when it's so personal you don't want your backup QB to have ANY experience running the full offense. It's not like Gus is know for having a plan b when things aren't going our way so I guess that's  par for the course with the Gus bus riders.

SIAP but Mark Murphy said Joey's non-throwing shoulder had been bothering him after taking a lick at Texas A&M. He is now back to full speed & expect him to play vs. Arkansas

Archived