Arkansas post game

Maverick.AU

4 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Can Gus not see how weak the middle of our oline is? Do you think he has considered replacing someone in the middle? What reason would he not make a change? Is it because the backups are even worse? If so how could we recruit a roster full of olinemen who can’t get any push and doesn’t like contact? He believes strongly in seniority? Only time he made a change I can remember was with the center last year and when Driscoll got hurt last year. It seems there was a year with Tubs we started 3 freshman against, I believe, Florida and upset them. I think it was Pugh, Zimba, and Ramsey. We don’t have those guys on roster but maybe we have someone who likes contact. I’d make it a competition and the guys that moved the line of scrimmage would see more playing time. We have become a finesse offense.

All of what you're questioning or suggesting is the responsibility of the online coach. Right now based on what I've read from interviews with Grimes the 5 online on the field are our best. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, creed said:

All of what you're questioning or suggesting is the responsibility of the online coach. Right now based on what I've read from interviews with Grimes the 5 online on the field are our best. 

Hadn’t seen much from JB Grimes except the one video just before the season. Are there other interviews?

5 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Hadn’t seen much from JB Grimes except the one video just before the season. Are there other interviews?

Latest interview

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Zeek said:

Thank you for posting these.  I enjoy them. 

27 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I've seen a couple...no links. But one would need to ask why would Grimes not want to put the best unit on the field? Now that doesn't mean each are the best individually, but are the best as a unit, which may highlight your question. Possibly there is someone more physically gifted on the bench, but hasn't mastered all the line calls, assignments, etc.

2 minutes ago, creed said:

I've seen a couple...no links. But one would need to ask why would Grimes not want to put the best unit on the field? Now that doesn't mean each are the best individually, but are the best as a unit, which may highlight your question. Possibly there is someone more physically gifted on the bench, but hasn't mastered all the line calls, assignments, etc.

Maybe it's the same reason he wasn't allowed to recruit the OL he wanted before this cycle.

11 hours ago, alexava said:

The only thing I really like about Kam is how quick he hits the hole ( when there is one) on inside runs. I don’t think he’s extremely fast on the edge. But when he has a crease he sees space and gets north pretty good. 

Yeah having a RB who hits the whole like that can be useful, especially pairing that with a sledgehammer type of RB but there’s times Kam is just running into the o lines backs instead of actually looking for a hole

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He was told who he could and couldn't offer

I've never heard or read that, are you serious?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He was told who he could and couldn't offer

Why would a coach with the experience of Grimes accept a deal like that?

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sounds like he may not be a good recruiter or talent evaluator.. good teacher? Sometimes a coaching staff has a coach who is not good at certain things and needs corporate help from the rest of the staff. Maybe this is the case.

1 minute ago, creed said:

Sounds like he may not be a good recruiter or talent evaluator.. good teacher? Sometimes a coaching staff has a coach who is not good at certain things and needs corporate help from the rest of the staff. Maybe this is the case.

Maybe, incorporate help is one thing though. Saying you have no input is another. Just me personally,  I would be kind of mad if my expertise was needed in an area, but then can't have a say in what personnel I need. I might need your help in obtaining this personnel, which is a different story.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

I believe he was looking for a job and not ready to retire just yet.  Grimes knew what Gus wanted and accepted his terms.  It was a typical offensive staff hire for Gus who likes to control everything on the offensive side of the ball.  It will be telling if Grimes is retained after this year or will “retire” at the end of the season.

20 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

<pictures Gus turning his visor around like Sly Stallone turned his hat around in "Over The Top" as he arm wrestles corch gravel gargler>

😄

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I believe he was looking for a job and not ready to retire just yet.  Grimes knew what Gus wanted and accepted his terms.  It was a typical offensive staff hire for Gus who likes to control everything on the offensive side of the ball.  It will be telling if Grimes is retained after this year or will “retire” at the end of the season.

I imagine the difference between a good coach and a great coach is a certain type of leadership ability.  I can almost bet if I walked into a NS, Dabo, UM, etc library, you would see a ton of books on leadership. I am reading a book on transformation leadership, to become much better at my role. I just feel like something like that is counter-intuitive, but I am also not the one 6-1 heading to LSU right now. 

16 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Because he's my Mancrush and I work very hard to quash bad stories on him. :beer2:

Lolol I respect your loyalty my bro! I appreciate you going with the underdog for your mancrush

24 minutes ago, creed said:

I don't know a lot of detail on Grimes' relationship with Gus or his abilities.  I just wanted to add that from listening/reading about him the last couple years, it seems he's probably a great teacher.  However, it sounds like he's given very little latitude so he merely is teaching the materials he's provided.

Based on comments from NFL personnel and former players (as discussed previously on this board) it appears that Gus, or Chip, have a particular scheme he wants to use and it's not a good one.  It sounds like a Pass Blocking scheme adapted for the run game which puts you O-Linemen at a strength & leverage disadvantage from the beginning.  Grimes' probably teaches the technique perfectly.  It's the technique that's flawed.

As for recruitment?  That's not an area I follow so I defer to others on that...

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't know a lot of detail on Grimes' relationship with Gus or his abilities.  I just wanted to add that from listening/reading about him the last couple years, it seems he's probably a great teacher.  However, it sounds like he's given very little latitude so he merely is teaching the materials he's provided.

Based on comments from NFL personnel and former players (as discussed previously on this board) it appears that Gus, or Chip, have a particular scheme he wants to use and it's not a good one.  It sounds like a Pass Blocking scheme adapted for the run game which puts you O-Linemen at a strength & leverage disadvantage from the beginning.  Grimes' probably teaches the technique perfectly.  It's the technique that's flawed.

As for recruitment?  That's not an area I follow so I defer to others on that...

The just culture theory calls that a systemic breakdown! Don’t solely blame the employees , blame the process. 

40 minutes ago, creed said:

Sounds like he may not be a good recruiter

Falling asleep during  a visit to a recruits house never helps.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

The just culture theory calls that a systemic breakdown! Don’t blame the employees , blame the process. 

That's too smart for me, so I had to look it up. LOL!

Sounds like a very scholarly way of.....agreeing?

31 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's been talked about here by connected people a lot.

Ask @ellitor

Whoever it is responsible for the situation I think is a mastermind. We have had classes were we haven’t even recruited the position. Genius. That’s high school mentality. You have to recruit top linemen on both side in the SEC every year or you will erode the program like we are watching happen imo on the offensive side.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's too smart for me, so I had to look it up. LOL!

Sounds like a very scholarly way of.....agreeing?

giphy.gif

Archived