New season new stuff

cole256

So this year I won't be doing a bunch of fussing and back and forths, especially passive aggressive ones. This will make me happy and everybody else I'm sure. I will post my predictions and opinions and I'll post why I feel the way I do. Any disagreements I'll be fine having convos as long as there is mutual respect. I'm not going to disrespect anybody or call names or anything unless provoked. I'm not going to allow myself to get mad at stuff that I KNOW, I'll just say ok. 

I'm going to try to put how I see a game going before and see how it goes and then reflect. That stuff is fun for me. I'll also try to see what I think about players but this year it's a little hard. I'm already on record of thinking Wiley is going to be very good and a key for us, think DP is a very good player. Think okoro will be fantastic defensively but will have to work on his offense. 

I'm not worried about scoring as much as people establishing and knowing their roles and having a guy that can close. I also worry about the overall confidence. Last year they could look at a guy like chumma and say this guy is literally as gifted and talented than everybody over there we will be facing. This year Idk. I also and worried about our new PG, samir, and to a point DP. Being the man is a much different role than coming off the bench and doing a job. And also just our bench in general.....but anyway I'll write what I see. 

Just because I post a particular play or game that may be bad doesn't mean I'm saying we suck I'm just pointing out stuff they may end up being an issue on down the line.

9 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

We need a thread for this?:drippingsarcasm7pa:

Let it go. If Cole bothers you that much stop opening his thread. Since you did open his thread take him for his word and move on. If he does what he says then good for him. If he doesn't then let it go because he'll know it and no one will need to point it out. Actions speak louder than words. 

Sounds good. I enjoy people posting analysis of what they see and why. JwgreDeux had done that many times and it's educational for those like myself who are fans but not students of the game. War Eagle!

Looking forward to your analyses. I know that you know the game.

Until I see a few games it will be hard for me to judge this team. Also with the players we lost both talent wise and leadership wise I am glad that we are starting with a somewhat easier schedule this year as I believe it will take this team a while to find their identity.  We have a lot of talent but finding a way to merge these players into a cohesive unit both on Offense and Defense will take time. I believe the easier schedule at the beginning of the year will allow them to beat teams with talent only while they coalesce into a very solid team.  

@cole256 with our youth and athleticism I think we will try to run a lot and most play base offensive schemes (at least for the first part of the schedule). Those schemes being high pick and rolls, and some iso's. Do you prefer Wiley on the floor over McLemore, and/or do you think McLemore helps us at the 4 on the floor with Wiley? I think this will be a crucial thing for Pearl to figure out for this team.  

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

@cole256 with our youth and athleticism I think we will try to run a lot and most play base offensive schemes (at least for the first part of the schedule). Those schemes being high pick and rolls, and some iso's. Do you prefer Wiley on the floor over McLemore, and/or do you think McLemore helps us at the 4 on the floor with Wiley? I think this will be a crucial thing for Pearl to figure out for this team.  

I would really like them to play together. A mc game really can mesh well for this and it would definitely make us one of the better defensive teams in this league. We can't have both of them in foul trouble the same game though unless stretch can be very good on that end very early. 

I agree with you, it's little convos like this that will make a world of difference as far as how we perform. Man I can't even get the time to just sit down look at the team and write, which I want to do very soon as that's what makes it fun for me calling things before they happen and then seeing how accurate you were

I want to see some old Hi/Low plays with Mac and Wiley, maybe Stretch, in at the same time. The low block, bang around, throw it in-kick it out ball is how we played back in dark ages, and I am a little bit knowledgeable about that style. This new wild,wild west ball took some getting used to, with all of the "bad shots" that weren't bad shots

On 11/2/2019 at 5:16 PM, cole256 said:

So this year I won't be doing a bunch of fussing and back and forths, especially passive aggressive ones. This will make me happy and everybody else I'm sure. I will post my predictions and opinions and I'll post why I feel the way I do. Any disagreements I'll be fine having convos as long as there is mutual respect. I'm not going to disrespect anybody or call names or anything unless provoked. I'm not going to allow myself to get mad at stuff that I KNOW, I'll just say ok. 

I'm going to try to put how I see a game going before and see how it goes and then reflect. That stuff is fun for me. I'll also try to see what I think about players but this year it's a little hard. I'm already on record of thinking Wiley is going to be very good and a key for us, think DP is a very good player. Think okoro will be fantastic defensively but will have to work on his offense. 

I'm not worried about scoring as much as people establishing and knowing their roles and having a guy that can close. I also worry about the overall confidence. Last year they could look at a guy like chumma and say this guy is literally as gifted and talented than everybody over there we will be facing. This year Idk. I also and worried about our new PG, samir, and to a point DP. Being the man is a much different role than coming off the bench and doing a job. And also just our bench in general.....but anyway I'll write what I see. 

Just because I post a particular play or game that may be bad doesn't mean I'm saying we suck I'm just pointing out stuff they may end up being an issue on down the line.

just for the record if we tie up my intention is to never disrespect anyone. and i am not saying i want to argue at all. i enjoy your insights and helps to enjoy the games more.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:54 PM, bigbird said:

Just making sure you got the talking points for Tuesday's game. 

tenor.gif

Will we have enough depth to succeed?

I'm going to have to see us play a little. I'm very interested in what Johnson will bring to the table. I can't accurately say anything about him yet though. And I hate when people just say generic stuff about a player and it's plain as day they haven't even seen the player play before. I will not just talk out of my ass about the game.

I will state things to watch out for and some things I'm worried about. I worry about the PG position overall. Leadership as far as making sure everybody is on the right page and where they are supposed to be. To the little things like pacing a team. JM will be learning some things on the fly and I'm sure he'll be a much better player in March as opposed to right now so be patient with him. 

I worry about our offense sort of.....I don't really worry about points being scored but I'm worried about the efficiency and how the scoring will go when situations are bad like when we're down. I also worry about our size in the backcourt, but I will speak on that and what that can effect later.

Teams will be playing us very different now. The mismatches chumma would provide helped EVERYBODY on the court and he's gone. Also the range Harper and Brown had would force teams to extend their defense and really stretch them out. That in turn opened it up so much that we rarely had to deal with doubles and clogged up lanes....that will be gone early as well. Okoro doesn't have the offensive game chumma does or even the mindset yet as I see some of you have already seen. These are a few offensive things to think about and I'll list a few defensive things as well a little later!

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm going to have to see us play a little. I'm very interested in what Johnson will bring to the table. I can't accurately say anything about him yet though. And I hate when people just say generic stuff about a player and it's plain as day they haven't even seen the player play before. I will not just talk out of my ass about the game.

I will state things to watch out for and some things I'm worried about. I worry about the PG position overall. Leadership as far as making sure everybody is on the right page and where they are supposed to be. To the little things like pacing a team. JM will be learning some things on the fly and I'm sure he'll be a much better player in March as opposed to right now so be patient with him. 

I worry about our offense sort of.....I don't really worry about points being scored but I'm worried about the efficiency and how the scoring will go when situations are bad like when we're down. I also worry about our size in the backcourt, but I will speak on that and what that can effect later.

Teams will be playing is very different now. The mismatches chumma would provide helped EVERYBODY on the court and he's gone. Also the range Harper and Brown had would force teams to extend their defense and really stretch them out. That in turn opened it up so much that we rarely had to deal with doubles and clogged up lanes....that will be gone early as well. Okoro doesn't have the offensive game chumma does or even the mindset yet as I see some of you have already seen. These are a few offensive things to think about and I'll list a few defensive things as well a little later!

I think the new three point line will help all teams offensively spread the defense out a bit more. Just by having to close out that extra foot will open things up a bit. Truly thing that was more of a reason for moving it out than the shooting percentages. 

14 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I think the new three point line will help all teams offensively spread the defense out a bit more. Just by having to close out that extra foot will open things up a bit. Truly thing that was more of a reason for moving it out than the shooting percentages. 

Absolutely, but we have to be able to hit them. If we can't then the logical thing would be to sag off and collapse down on Wiley and let ourselves shoot us out of the game.

Also if we can't make them then shooting them is just giving the opposing team easy transition shots so it's imperative on both sides of the floor we either be efficient at it or we don't do it that often. That may be the thing we prioritise to find out first

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely, but we have to be able to hit them. If we can't then the logical thing would be to sag off and collapse down on Wiley and let ourselves shoot us out of the game.

Also if we can't make them then shooting them is just giving the opposing team easy transition shots so it's imperative on both sides of the floor we either be efficient at it or we don't do it that often. That may be the thing we prioritise to find out first

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could also use that extra space if they sag to drive the ball into gaps, couldn't you?

7 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could also use that extra space if they sag to drive the ball into gaps, couldn't you?

I don't know if I understand what you described. So if I'm responding to something you didn't say my bad. But if you play off a guy it makes him easier to defend and easier to cut drives off. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know if I understand what you described. So if I'm responding to something you didn't say my bad. But if you play off a guy it makes him easier to defend and easier to cut drives off. 

You answered it as described. I was just thinking that if they close out but leave a couple of feet trying to force a shot, a quicker guard can use that space to get a drive going. But as you suggest, it's likely that the defender is able to cut off the angle on a drive. 

So yep, AU needs to hit some 3s!

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

You answered it as described. I was just thinking that if they close out but leave a couple of feet trying to force a shot, a quicker guard can use that space to get a drive going. But as you suggest, it's likely that the defender is able to cut off the angle on a drive. 

So yep, AU needs to hit some 3s!

Oh ok. Yes this is a reason many times if you're a coach and you have a guy that's super quick the first thing you want to do is make sure this guy is at least respectable shooting the ball because this forces you to have to get up on them to challenge a shot but when you have to get close on a guy like Steph curry or kyrie Irving you are in trouble because they are so fast and they now command the ability to get into the lane at will and score or facilitate and there's nothing you can do about it. 

If you're not that great of a shooter now I can take 3 steps back and have more time and leverage to react to you and beat you to the spot while daring you to shoot. This is why they say Ben Simmons and gianis are a jump shot away from being the best players in the league.

Also you can look at the corner vs. Wr match up to better visualize the concept when they back off vs when they press a wr. When you press a guy and make a mistake the guy you are defending is gone.

Archived