Bob Stoops to FSU?

Zeek

That's a good move for FSU.  They will have to come off a ton of money and agree to pay top 5 salaries for his staff (which they wouldn't do for Fisher), but there's nothing wrong with giving it shot.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

That's a good move for FSU.  They will have to come off a ton of money and agree to pay top 5 salaries for his staff (which they wouldn't do for Fisher), but there's nothing wrong with giving it shot.

Yeah, I hear from a lot of locals they either don't have or don't want to spend the amount needed to keep up these days. Still don't think they get Stoops but there seems to be a lot of confidence.

Would stooping be stoopid? Would they be stooped over instead of standing tall? Would archrival Florida be stoopified at the stoopidity and pull a Forrest...or would it have STOOP-endous results?  

(I can't resist word play...carry on!)

stupid-is-as-stupid-does.jpg

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

What? that they are flying to meet him? Or he is hired

Hired. Could still fall through but there would be a lot of shocked locals and university employees if he isn’t at this point.

They want to move quick considering Arkansas, maybe South Carolina, maybe Tennessee, etc. will be hunting for coaches. 

I can see the appeal. Extremely easy conference and good recruiting base. A good coach is basically guaranteed 10 wins there since they play nobody. 

In comparison, look at how that job stacks up to AU. Au- the hardest division in college football, biggest rival has been dominating college football for years, other biggest rival always a contender, LSU may win it all, Tam has all of the $ in the world... it is tough

59 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Hired. Could still fall through but there would be a lot of shocked locals and university employees if he isn’t at this point.

They want to move quick considering Arkansas, maybe South Carolina, maybe Tennessee, etc. will be hunting for coaches. 

Image result for so youre saying theres a chance gif

Man I really wanted to see the ensuing chaos of having hired Dieon Sanders 😅

Of course it's already been a roller coaster of "will he, won't he?" Guess we'll find out soon enough...

FSU couldn't or wouldn't pony up the $$.  We heard last year about this time when AU Boosters were quoting him that he wanted Saban/Swinney type salary with a big guaranteed contract. 

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

FSU couldn't or wouldn't pony up the $$.  We heard last year about this time when AU Boosters were quoting him that he wanted Saban/Swinney type salary with a big guaranteed contract. 

"No longer a candidate"  :dunno:   betting he was never a real candidate....as I noted earlier...this year's Jon Gruden....and by the way, I heard that Bobby Bowden was on the list ….near the bottom of course....but still someone to consider. 

Face it...the next coach getting a big time power 5 contract (Auburn, FSU, similar programs)  is gonna want a Jimbo like contract....might not get it ...but no point in changing jobs to a place you can get fired in two or three years unless you have about 7 years of security built in. 

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I wonder... Do you think Bob decided to "retire" because Oklahoma wouldn't pony up Saban/Swinney type money? I would imagine if that's what he wanted he probably could've gotten it.

I would speculate that perhaps he really doesn't want to get back into coaching and is countering these suitor schools with a ridiculous demand... But obviously by making a counter offer he's not against letting a desperate school make him filthy rich. Just my two cents...

With what programs are pouring out in salaries right now, a HC has to win plenty of games and do it early.  With big time pay comes big time expectations.

If a school's paying top 10 salaries, then that staff better be fielding a top 10 ranked team after bowl season consistently.  The notion of giving a staff time to learn and build a team over multiple years and expecting the fan base & boosters to be patient are over.  

18 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I wonder... Do you think Bob decided to "retire" because Oklahoma wouldn't pony up Saban/Swinney type money? I would imagine if that's what he wanted he probably could've gotten it.

I would speculate that perhaps he really doesn't want to get back into coaching and is countering these suitor schools with a ridiculous demand... But obviously by making a counter offer he's not against letting a desperate school make him filthy rich. Just my two cents...

He's HC & GM of the Dallas Renegades right now, so I don't think he wants to hang up his whistle.  He may not want to deal with it at the college level, recruiting, glad handing boosters, spoiling recruits or dealing with the sky high expectations of a fan base anymore.  But he jumped right back into it real soon after he stepped down from OU.

18 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I think he was just ready for a break.  This job, at the big time Power 5 level, is a recipe for burnout and exhaustion.  But these guys tend to be competitive and feed off the game in ways most of us don't understand.  So after being out of it for a couple of years, getting to relax and not be constantly recruiting, glad handing, practicing, game planning and so on, the batteries are recharged and he misses it.

So I heard a rumor that Bob turned FSU down because they could only offer $3 million. If that's their budget they're going to be hunting for a G5 coach. Also worth noting that there was a Wheels Up plane that flew into Tallahassee today from Palm Beach and a private plane that flew in from the Boone, NC area. 

16 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

So I heard a rumor that Bob turned FSU down because they could only offer $3 million. If that's their budget they're going to be hunting for a G5 coach. Also worth noting that there was a Wheels Up plane that flew into Tallahassee today and a private plane that flew in from the Boone, NC area. 

Didn't dig into it but saw something on Reddit about sources in Tallahassee now have "mystery candidate". This gets juicier every day 😅

Also National Championship of Life seems to be getting serious looks at Arkansas. This coaching carousel looks less like dominoes and more like a train wreck lol

On 11/14/2019 at 8:37 AM, keesler said:

Pretty sure that’s why they lost Jimbo because they were broke doubt they could afford Bob. 

21 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

So I heard a rumor that Bob turned FSU down because they could only offer $3 million. If that's their budget they're going to be hunting for a G5 coach. Also worth noting that there was a Wheels Up plane that flew into Tallahassee today from Palm Beach and a private plane that flew in from the Boone, NC area. 

Lane Kiffen would be a good choice they could afford . 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Lane Kiffen would be a good choice they could afford . 

No practice on Tuesdays. It’d conflict with his show on Comedy Central. 

Archived