The great defense of 2019

Eagle Eye 7

LSU’s offense was unbelievable this year. Going back and looking at their numbers it was amazing to see Auburn held them to their least output, points wise, at 23. The next best was uga at 36. Almost two TDs better than the next best. They played some very good teams, uat, Florida, OSU and Clemson as well as uga. And our low score came against them at their house. Really proud of our defense and defensive coaches this year. Hopefully we can get a decent offense to go with it this year. 

46 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

LSU’s offense was unbelievable this year. Going back and looking at their numbers it was amazing to see Auburn held them to their least output, points wise, at 23. The next best was uga at 36. Almost two TDs better than the next best. They played some very good teams, uat, Florida, OSU and Clemson as well as uga. And our low score came against them at their house. Really proud of our defense and defensive coaches this year. Hopefully we can get a decent offense to go with it this year. 

Miss St allowed 36

uga allowed 37

Love that there are like a dozen compilations on Youtube of LSU's glaring holds of Brown and/or Davidson on key plays (including 2 TDs). We sacked Howdy Doody 3 times in the 1st quarter and LSUs o-line thereafter grabbed hold virtually without punishment.

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think you mean OU. They played Oklahoma not Oklahoma State or Ohio State. 

You are correct . Thanks but they beat teams that beat  both OSU - Clemson and Oklahoma 😁

My point being LSU may have had the greatest College offense I have ever seen play. And for us to hold them to that was really amazing considering that offensive power. They set a record with 60 passing TDs against a very tough schedule in anybody’s book. LSU went 7 of 7 against teams that finished in the final top 25. It is unbelievable . That’s nearly half the games they won against top 25. 

this is a hard topic for me to come to a conclusion.   The defense at times were lights out, and then there were times when a stop was needed and it couldn’t get it done.   

I thought the LSU game was a perfect example of how the season played out.   It held the best offense in the country to its lowest point total, but gave up tons of yards.  It showed a unique defense formation and went against its normal style and strategies.   

14 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Defense had talent but was way too inconsistent. 

Yup. They didn't even make to December before they gave up more than 24 points in a game. Pathetic, especially with such a soft schedule and with a dominant, clock-eating offense like ours. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. They didn't even make to December before they gave up more than 24 points in a game. Pathetic, especially with such a soft schedule and with a dominant, clock-eating offense like ours. 

If your defense doesn't shut everyone out all season do you even have a defense?

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

If your defense doesn't shut everyone out all season do you even have a defense?

THANK YOU. Still can't believe Kevin Steele was only able to drop 14 pts on bama. 

51 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Defense had talent but was way too inconsistent. 

The only game I can question the defense was the bowl game. We let Minnesota run for ? 215..? We looked like we were wearing skates. Couldn’t tackle the RB downfield well at all. The rest of the season I think we were just short of amazing. There were a few plays we let happen in a few games. When you can point out a few bad plays that means you played well. But the bowl ...... we just kept getting punched in the mouth. 

If the offense could hold up their end of the deal the way our defense is viewed would be much different. But the defense's margin for error is sooo slim due to our inability to score points on O, so any sort of slip up on D is magnified and seems like it hurts us more when in reality it's the offense that couldn't muster 300 yards FOUR times this season putting immense pressure on the defense in many different ways. You're not going to win many, if any, games gaining <300 yards of offense in this day and age. The era of low scoring, low offensive output wins are long gone and won't be coming back with how the rules have changed etc.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You forgot about the offense helping them out in multiple games. 

Title should read "the good to very good defense of 2019".  This was not a "great" defense but it was good enough to win every game we played with some help from the offense.  UGA had a "great" defense this year.

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

If the offense could hold up their end of the deal the way our defense is viewed would be much different. But the defense's margin for error is sooo slim due to our inability to score points on O, so any sort of slip up on D is magnified and seems like it hurts us more when in reality it's the offense that couldn't muster 300 yards FOUR times this season putting immense pressure on the defense in many different ways. You're not going to win many, if any, games gaining <300 yards of offense in this day and age. The era of low scoring, low offensive output wins are long gone and won't be coming back with how the rules have changed etc.

Exactly when the offense works even to a little degree it helps the defense. When the offense is going three and out and turning the ball over deep in the territory it makes it hard on the defense to jell. If the offense would have just been at least middle of the conference good, our defense would probably been in the top five in the country. Watch these D guys leaving most will be playing at the next level.

We did have one of the greatest defenses that we've ever had. However, Gus messes it up with his play calling and offense going 3 plays and punt. Therefore, the defense never had much time to rest. In fact, the defense played 80 to 85% of the time. The offense was on the field for maybe 20 to 25% of the time. We should all count our blessing to have such an awesome 7 million dollar a year offensive guru who loses 4 games or more a year for 6 straight years and who's 2-5 in bowl games.

LSU will come back down to earth in 2020. They are losing their offensive guru, their DC, and Mr. Burrow along with others. We should have a decent chance to beat them in JHS. After that stunt that was pulled after the game with Burrow and other players taking money from Beckham, I lost all respect for that team. I would love nothing more for them to go 8-4 or worse in 2020.

On 1/15/2020 at 2:33 PM, Tiger said:

I miss those 7 to 3 type of games. I love a good defensive battle with low points total.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:02 AM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Remember when we used to say, "if we could just get a good defense to go with this offense."?  

On 1/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, doc4aday said:

I miss those 7 to 3 type of games. I love a good defensive battle with low points total.

Amen to this. We're a dying breed, brother. 

On 1/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, doc4aday said:

Not me. To me, games like the 2008 Mississippi State game were the most boring mind numbingly frustrating games I've ever seen. Doesnt matter if its 3-2 or 7-3. Those games had very little excitement. Scoring points gets you noticed. It gets you ranked higher. It forces teams to "keep up." 

When Gus' offense was scoring points like crazy, those are the games I love. 

Man... I miss those days. These days we are lucky to get 20  points against any team with a pulse. 

On 1/17/2020 at 3:09 PM, auburn4ever said:

We did have one of the greatest defenses that we've ever had. However, Gus messes it up with his play calling and offense going 3 plays and punt. Therefore, the defense never had much time to rest. In fact, the defense played 80 to 85% of the time. The offense was on the field for maybe 20 to 25% of the time. We should all count our blessing to have such an awesome 7 million dollar a year offensive guru who loses 4 games or more a year for 6 straight years and who's 2-5 in bowl games.

Is that a total guess on your part? I did wonder how much a game our D was on the field vs our O to see how inconsistent our offense was.

I don't count OOC games that are against weaker teams and the offense rolls up 500-600 yards giving a false impression of our offense. I would only do SEC games and games against ranked teams outside of the SEC, we played.

At least it looks like Gus may begin to understand his lack of a true passing game is putting his offense at a disadvantage. Bubble screens and Hail Marys  does not a passing game make. 

On 1/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, doc4aday said:

LSU will come back down to earth in 2020. They are losing their offensive guru, their DC, and Mr. Burrow along with others. We should have a decent chance to beat them in JHS. After that stunt that was pulled after the game with Burrow and other players taking money from Beckham, I lost all respect for that team. I would love nothing more for them to go 8-4 or worse in 2020.

I agree Doc. LSU Coaches making "strong ass offers" and their alum dishing out $$ to players on the side line >>> LSU cheaters.

Archived