Meet the bag man

bigbird

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

But I do understand integrity. I also understand people like you, who justify any illegal or dishonest activity with "you don't know the struggle". 

I've done nothing of the sort and that's an incredibly disingenuous thing to suggest. One might even say your comment lacks integrity

Again, I think what's most telling is that people think the better thing for an 18 year old is cash in the hand rather than a free college education. 

Huh? Since when did these things become mutually exclusive? What is free about something that it takes kids 30-40 hours a week- in addition to their classes and requisite study time- to maintain? You're speaking nonsense.

Furthermore, what I said- I'll paraphrase- is to get off your high horse about questioning these kids' and their families' morals for accepting handouts when every damn college they look to is offering. Blame it on the players? TFOH with that. Look in the mirror. You don't like it, quit watching. This is all being done for you and me, fellow fanatic. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol I never said the coaches weren't to blame. They shouldn't be paid anywhere near what they are. They also get to bail whenever they like. It's an unfair system and college coaches are pretty dirty dudes. They aren't in it to help kids anymore, that's for sure.

You said very specifically to blame the players and the bagmen. 

2 hours ago, copper4eva said:

Lol wut? This is the country with some of the most expensive college in the world. If anything, people over value college today. But I don't wanna get into that tbh.

Like it or not, college education is highly coveted by almost everyone in America, and there's a huge crisis of escalating tuition costs. So getting a college education for free is extremely valuable, no?

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Like it or not, college education is highly coveted by almost everyone in America, and there's a huge crisis of escalating tuition costs. So getting a college education for free is extremely valuable, no?

Who's getting a free education? The guys who have to spend 30-40 hrs a week on football activities sure aren't. 

As for the "extremely valuable" part, what's more valuable? Do you realize that Auburn football netted $117 million in revenue and $65 million in profit the last 3 years? Why are we even giving these kids scholarships? Why waste all this money on recruiting? I'm sure we could field nothing but walk-ons and do just as well. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

LMAO morals and ethics dictate these kids should be paid. Otherwise it's flat out exploitation. Hmmm real green money is being generated but the kids doing the hard work see none of it. Yeah that seems morally sound.

None of this money would come from your pockets so you don't have to worry, my man! I promise! 

This bottom line is this is about envy. College football players are compensated more today than they ever have been. By a LOT. They get bowl packages, stipends, access to world class facilities, their housing is nicer than ever, and tuition costs more than ever (even adjusting for inflation), so these kids are quantitatively getting much more than college players did in the 1940s, 60s, 80s, whenever. 

But there was no outcry then. You know why?

Because the true motive behind the current cries of pay-for-play is envy. People see how much the schools and coaches make, and they think it's unfair. It's not that the kids don't have enough. It's that other people have TOO much. And I can't get behind that kind of reasoning. It's a slippery slope.

Now do I think college coaches are paid too much? Yes. I also believe the NCAA could give an equal pension to all players, depending on how many years they play at the college level. The key is whether or not that's feasible to the current system. And whether you could give legitimate ideas on how to make this work.

In order to pay kids "fairly", you may have to cut ALL lower level athletics - nearly all women's sports, and I would imagine even major sports like baseball at most schools, as these don't turn a profit and depend entirely on the teat of college football to survive. You'd also likely have to cut back on the number of players on a roster. It'd be very hard to pay 120 kids, let's say, $50,000 a year. And also cover their education. And also cover their food. And also cover their housing. 

And we haven't even scratched the surface of small-market schools versus bluebloods. Is it fair for the backup kicker at Ball State to be paid the same as the Heisman winning QB at Texas? Probably not. So how will you solve that problem? And if teams' revenue gives a larger budget, wouldn't that make competition extremely unfair? How would a school like Tulsa or Boise State ever hope to be competitive, when their payrolls are 10000 times smaller than a major conference team's?

Not to get political, but this is my beef with the current far-left ideology. Sure, free college and healthcare and reparations seem like a great idea. But tell me how it would work. 

This bottom line is this is about envy. College football players are compensated more today than they ever have been. By a LOT. They get bowl packages, stipends, access to world class facilities, their housing is nicer than ever, and tuition costs more than ever (even adjusting for inflation), so these kids are quantitatively getting much more than college players did in the 1940s, 60s, 80s, whenever. 

Because the true motive behind the current cries of pay-for-play is envy. People see how much the schools and coaches make, and they think it's unfair. It's not that the kids don't have enough. It's that other people have TOO much. And I can't get behind that kind of reasoning. It's a slippery slope.

Now do I think college coaches are paid too much? Yes. I also believe the NCAA could give an equal pension to all players, depending on how many years they play at the college level. The key is whether or not that's feasible to the current system. And whether you could give legitimate ideas on how to make this work.

In order to pay kids "fairly", you may have to cut ALL lower level athletics - nearly all women's sports, and I would imagine even major sports like baseball at most schools, as these don't turn a profit and depend entirely on the teat of college football to survive. You'd also likely have to cut back on the number of players on a roster. It'd be very hard to pay 120 kids, let's say, $50,000 a year. And also cover their education. And also cover their food. And also cover their housing. 

And we haven't even scratched the surface of small-market schools versus bluebloods. Is it fair for the backup kicker at Ball State to be paid the same as the Heisman winning QB at Texas? Probably not. So how will you solve that problem? And if teams' revenue gives a larger budget, wouldn't that make competition extremely unfair? How would a school like Tulsa or Boise State ever hope to be competitive, when their payrolls are 10000 times smaller than a major conference team's?

Not to get political, but this is my beef with the current far-left ideology. Sure, free college and healthcare and reparations seem like a great idea. But tell me how it would work. 

Very well stated. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Who's getting a free education? The guys who have to spend 30-40 hrs a week on football activities sure aren't. 

What does this even mean? Derrick Brown is a business student that's made All-SEC Academic like every year he's been here. This was his quote on coming back.

For Brown, a business school student, it wasn't purely just about coming back for another football season. It was also about coming back for his degree and his family. 

"My dad always told me to always finish everything you started," Brown said at the 2019 SEC Media Days, "and you know having to worry about how long it would take to get my degree if I had left and came back and how many springs that would look like.

"I wholeheartedly decided that it was better for me to finish my degree now and I wanted to say the same for my son growing up, education is what's going to happen, it's not an option."  

What does this even mean? Derrick Brown is a business student that's made All-SEC Academic like every year he's been here. This was his quote on coming back.

For Brown, a business school student, it wasn't purely just about coming back for another football season. It was also about coming back for his degree and his family. 

"My dad always told me to always finish everything you started," Brown said at the 2019 SEC Media Days, "and you know having to worry about how long it would take to get my degree if I had left and came back and how many springs that would look like.

"I wholeheartedly decided that it was better for me to finish my degree now and I wanted to say the same for my son growing up, education is what's going to happen, it's not an option."  

Where does he use the word "free"? No offense, but I don't think you're really processing what others are saying.

(What Brown does say about leaving early and then trying to finish his degree without a scholarship is that it would take too long.)

Just now, McLoofus said:

Where does he use the word "free"? No offense, but I don't think you're really processing what others are saying.

(What Brown does say about leaving early and then trying to finish his degree without a scholarship is that it would take too long.)

If I'm not processing what you're saying it's because it's incoherent. Are you angry because the kids have to play football to get their monetarily free education? ALL "free" scholarships are dependent on work and meeting requirements. Are you really advocating that that's wrong?

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This bottom line is this is about envy.

You're right. The opposition to players getting more of what they deserve is about envy. 

College football players are compensated more today than they ever have been. By a LOT. They get bowl packages, stipends, access to world class facilities, their housing is nicer than ever, and tuition costs more than ever (even adjusting for inflation), so these kids are quantitatively getting much more than college players did in the 1940s, 60s, 80s, whenever.

Relative to how much football programs are making? Hell no they aren't.

See above. Also, there was no internet.

Because the true motive behind the current cries of pay-for-play is envy. People see how much the schools and coaches make, and they think it's unfair. It's not that the kids don't have enough. It's that other people have TOO much.

Not only is this wrong to the point of being absurd, but you're moving the goalposts.

Explain in more detail, please, why players are to blame for football programs trying to pay them under the table for their services.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If I'm not processing what you're saying it's because it's incoherent. Are you angry because the kids have to play football to get their monetarily free education? ALL "free" scholarships are dependent on work and meeting requirements. Are you really advocating that that's wrong?

Ah. So the money you get from your job is free. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Ah. So the money you get from your job is free. 

Hahahaha I legitimately have never heard anything more entitled in my life. You are mad that employers make employees work for their money. You are mad that scholarships have requirements. You think it should be truly, unconditionally free. Think about that. 

I am in literal disbelief a person could have this take. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're right. The opposition to players getting more of what they deserve is about envy. 

Actually, no. That's not envy at all. 

Oxford Definition. "Envy - a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck."

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Hahahaha I legitimately have never heard anything more entitled in my life. You are mad that employers make employees work for their money. You are mad that scholarships have requirements. You think it should be truly, unconditionally free. Think about that. 

I am in literal disbelief a person could have this take. 

Yeah. You are having serious problems understanding very simple and clearly stated ideas. I couldn't have been more clear and you couldn't have more severely misunderstood. Yikes. I'll see myself out. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. You are having serious problems understanding very simple and clearly stated ideas. I couldn't have been more clear and you couldn't have more severely misunderstood. Yikes. I'll see myself out. 

Probably a good idea. You can say I misconstrued them all you want, but your points are there for all to see.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Excellent point actually. I'm a senior in chemical engineering right now. Zero chance I get through this major while playing football. At least, not on time.

19 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

Excellent point actually. I'm a senior in chemical engineering right now. Zero chance I get through this major while playing football. At least, not on time.

Good luck and get that paper!

15 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

I don't think most people truly understand what football players go through at a major  university as far as time commitment is concerned.  The average Joe couldn't handle what players do on a day-to-day basis.  It's quite literally a 15 hour day.  Here's something put out by UF a few years ago. 

• 6:00-7:00 a.m.: Wake up
  • 7:00-7:45 a.m.: Eat breakfast
  • 8:00-11:30 a.m.: Class
  • 12:00-12:30 p.m.: Eat lunch
  • 12:30-1:30 p.m.: Lift
  • 1:30-2:30 p.m.: Fuel and recover
  • 2:30-3:30 p.m.: Meetings
  • 3:30-5:30 p.m.: Practice
  • 6:00-6:30 p.m.: Fuel and recover
  • 6:30-7:00 p.m.: Eat
  • 7:30-9:00 p.m.: Study

https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/6/9/8752711/florida-gators-football-players-daily-schedule-graphic

I worked a 30 hour a week job and another 20-30 on campus doing media.  There's no way I could have handled this schedule though.  Gotta remember, this is just weekdays.  Doesn't even include Sundays, travel, missed classes from travel that you have to make up, etc.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think most people truly understand what football players go through at a major  university as far as time commitment is concerned.  The average Joe couldn't handle what players do on a day-to-day basis.  It's quite literally a 15 hour day.  Here's something put out by UF a few years ago. 

https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/6/9/8752711/florida-gators-football-players-daily-schedule-graphic

I worked a 30 hour a week job and another 20-30 on campus doing media.  There's no way I could have handled this schedule though.  Gotta remember, this is just weekdays.  Doesn't even include Sundays, travel, missed classes from travel that you have to make up, etc.

This is why words like "free" and "given" are ignorant at best.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No biggie they should try and go thru what we golfers at Auburn had/have to do for training. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This is why words like "free" and "given" are ignorant at best.

Lmao. Y'all act like this is some glamourless grind for an unpaid internship (of which I have had more than a few). There is a reason kids do it instead of heading straight to the CFL.

I think most of us here, and most anyone who has ever suited up on the high school level, would do almost anything to play D1 ball. 

I am fine discussing and hearing any ideas as it pertains to compensating athletes. But let's not be disingenuous. Let's look at the actual cost/reward dynamic for a D1 college football player. 

Cost: Intense training. Long practice hours. Balancing classwork. Very little free time. Maintaining grades. 

Reward: College education in field of choice. Instant fame. Girls. National TV appearances. Social media verification. Girls. Direct pipeline to NFL. Girls. Room. Board. Food. Girls. Eternal credibility in sports (opening door to jobs as analyst, coach, broadcaster, book deals, etc.). And simply getting to do what you love.

Oh and girls also. 

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Reward: College education in field of choice. Instant fame. Girls. National TV appearances. Social media verification. Girls. Direct pipeline to NFL. Girls. Room. Board. Food. Girls. Eternal credibility in sports (opening door to jobs as analyst, coach, broadcaster, book deals, etc.). And simply getting to do what you love.

Oh and girls also. 

You girls gotta girls admit girls @McLoofus girls he's girls gotta girls point girls there girls.

Archived