Start, Bench, Cut

bigbird

My son came and asked me this and I was stumped.

Who do you start, who do you bench, and who do you cut?

The options...

Tracy Rocker

Nick Fairly

Derrick Brown

An old timer like me can't imagine benching or cutting Tracy Rocker. But I also can't imagine benching or cutting Fairly (in his final AU season) or Brown. Of the three, in all but his last season, Fairly would most likely see the bench or be cut. But man...that last season. You can't sit that player down, can you?

Damn...not a fair exercise. Makes my head hurt.

It’s a great thing when your son asks a question that makes you think before you answer. 

Start Rocker

Bench Fairly, not as consistent as Rocker, but had a heck of a motor when turned on (and mean).

Cut Brown only because you have to cut someone according to the rules.

I make Rocker my girlfriend. I dump Fairly...he’s just not worth risking my heart over. And I marry Brown. He’s reliable—won’t leave me over spilled beer. 

wait...did I do this right? 

Interesting thought...

Start Rocker

Bench Brown  - Keep him over Fairly because...

Cut Fairly - took too many plays off.  Beast when he wanted to be, but getting that "want to" was the problem.

Only because the choices are so limited:

Start Brown: I just think he is the most dominant lineman we have ever had.

Bench Fairley b/c of his on the field antics, but man was he relentless on qb's.

Cut Rocker b/c you have to cut one of the three.

Cut Fairly. He did not have the same career as Rocker and Brown.

Rocker had the awards and probably a better supporting cast but Brown probably has more pro upside. Start Brown and bench Rocker.

Start Rocker - Pat Dye thought he was mean. I think CPD is a guy who knows mean when he sees it. (Prayers for Coach Dye)

Bench Brown - Rocker has got to have a blow now and then

Cut Fairly - Only option left

45 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Nah, can't do it.  Put Rocker at DE. Start 'em all, bench somebody else.

Abso-freakin-lutely!  That would be the premier starting DL ever -- Fairly in the middle, with Brown & Rocker on the ends.  Fire the coach who even mentions benching or cutting.  

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Cut Fairly. He did not have the same career as Rocker and Brown.

He was only here for two seasons as opposed to four seasons for the other two. He made a good number of great plays in 09. I tabbed him as our breakout player on defense for 10.

Can't do anything but start the Outland and Lombardi winner. 

Bring in Brown off the bench because you brought Fullwood in off the bench and that worked well.

Cut Fairly because you made me cut someone. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

The options...

Tracy Rocker

Nick Fairly

Derrick Brown

Cutting is easy the other two are hard.

Cut - Nick Fairly

He's the least consistent and would disappear at times waiting to make a big play. I'm not hating on him but he just didn't have the same motor. Can't lie his NFL career has been largely disappointing as well.

Bench - Derrick Brown

I debated this but simply put Rocker was more decorated. Brown's NFL career could change this but for now he has to sit behind the DL GOAT for Auburn. Brown's play really reminded me of the presence Fairley had but it was even more consistent. Listen to the analyst talk about how they can't watch any tape involving Auburn without noticing Brown. One talked about trying to watch tape on Herbert and he couldn't focus on anyone but Brown. He's phenomenal and was quite frankly robbed out of at least one national award.

Start - Rocker

Two time All-American, Outland Trophy, and Lombardi Award. He's also had a fantastic coaching career which started at Auburn high school. His NFL career was rather disappointing but his college career (if that's what it's based off) was phenomenal. Maybe I'm just deferring to the older player but this group is real strong. FWIW I think Derrick Brown may go down as the Auburn GOAT at DT over time. 

Honestly?

Cut all of them and I would be starting.  I am untouchable with my level of talent.

giphy.gif

Start - Fairley

Bench - Rocker

Cut - Brown

And that pains me as someone who loved watching D Brown play.  However, he could be neutralized at times.  Fairley, particularly in 2010, was a one man wrecking crew playing on a much less decorated defense.  Meanwhile Rocker has too many accolades to ignore.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:24 AM, ArgoEagle said:

Only because the choices are so limited:

Start Brown: I just think he is the most dominant lineman we have ever had.

Bench Fairley b/c of his on the field antics, but man was he relentless on qb's.

Cut Rocker b/c you have to cut one of the three.

No way, I don't want Rocker showing up at my door and telling me what he thinks of my decision.

43 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’m playing all three of them . To hell with the rules. 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I’m playing all three of them . To hell with the rules. 

Is that you Saban?

On 5/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, bigbird said:

The options...

Tracy Rocker

Nick Fairly

Derrick Brown

That sounds like a fun game to play with all sorts of possibilities:  QB, RB, LB, etc.  

In this case, as others have said, I start TRock, I bring in DBrown off the bench, and unfortunately have to cut Nick Fairley.  

If I’m picking one season Fairley had the best single season ever.. DB had a great career with two great seasons. I’m 47 and honestly just barely remember Rocker. 

I'm going to cut Nick Fairley, bench Derrick Brown and start Tracy Rocker. Fairley's not going to give us a full career. Either Rocker or Brown could go early, but we know for a fact that Brown- in the current CFB landscape- will come back for his senior year. So we start Rocker knowing that he will be good enough to get drafted after 3 years and that Derrick Brown will be back the following year.

If we're talking just one year of each guy's best year, then I start 2010 Nick Fairley and flip a coin for his backup. Especially with no proven edge rusher. 

You keep all of them, rotate a lot, and to &)$;/ with this exercise in futility!!!!

Edit:Kudos @bigbird for how you raise your kids to come up with these exercises in futility!

Archived