Any News from Softball Fall Practice?

Normally, during fall practice/exhibition season we get some idea of who can do what, and who are the candidates to replace departed players.  Or supplant established players.  With no exhibition season this year, there is no news coming out of fall camp.  I'm guessing they haven't allowed observers due to Covid-19.  All I've seen are some player profiles on the News page.  Anyone have any information?

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Normally, during fall practice/exhibition season we get some idea of who can do what, and who are the candidates to replace departed players.  Or supplant established players.  With no exhibition season this year, there is no news coming out of fall camp.  I'm guessing they haven't allowed observers due to Covid-19.  All I've seen are some player profiles on the News page.  Anyone have any information?

1 hour ago, warbiscuit said:

Apparently Fitts is up to 97. Garrett Wade had TJ. Bryson Ware & Cole Foster had exit velos above 100. I'm thinking Fitts is the 3rd starter with Owen and Greenhill.

Pretty sure Whiskey was asking the question in regards to softball.  

I sent email to Leisa Lee, Director of Operations for softball, on Sept 21.  Asked if there were any open practices.  Disappointed to say that I got no response.  Wondered if there might be any type of scrimmage.  I believe I heard that practices would be broken down into small practice groups to reduce potential for close contact.

22 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I had softball in mind, but I follow baseball as well, and thank WarBiscuit for his reply; but, what is "TJ".

TJ usually means "tommy john", as in tommy john/elbow ligament surgery.

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I had softball in mind, but I follow baseball as well, and thank WarBiscuit for his reply; but, what is "TJ".

Yeah it's Tommy John surgery and it sucks for Wade. Apparently he had some hype getting drafted and this happens. But he'll be a 4th year sophomore next season if he doesn't get drafted. And I apologize I thought you meant baseball. I doubt there's crowds because baseball is closed to the public, I imagine it's the same for softball.

Well I was told softball had been closed to spectators after a few open to the public scrimmages.  However when the family members told me they had been closed that made no sense as football was having 17k plus attending a game....  I would be mad as a parent not to be able to see my kid(s) play or watch practice when football has 17,000+ at Jordan Hare

Auburn 247 Sports has a small tid bit on the new pitchers for the softball team: “Maddie Penta and Shelby Lowe have been everything Coach Dean expected and more.”

Auburn should be able to throw a lot of looks at opponents this year with the addition of these two, plus a healthy Dismukes. I’m interested to see how the rotation plays out. Yarbrough will definitely be involved, and I’d imagine one or two of Penta, Lowe, or Dismukes will be the 2nd and 3rd starter.

I’ve always thought Dean should use Handley in a closer role, similar to the way Oklahoma used Paige Lowary - a hard throwing lefty who messes up the timing of hitters. She showed lots of promise last year, and if she can truly heal her back, her control will likely get better. 

There is only one ball and so many innings to go around though.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:31 AM, Jad0003 said:

Auburn 247 Sports has a small tid bit on the new pitchers for the softball team: “Maddie Penta and Shelby Lowe have been everything Coach Dean expected and more.”

Auburn should be able to throw a lot of looks at opponents this year with the addition of these two, plus a healthy Dismukes. I’m interested to see how the rotation plays out. Yarbrough will definitely be involved, and I’d imagine one or two of Penta, Lowe, or Dismukes will be the 2nd and 3rd starter.

I’ve always thought Dean should use Handley in a closer role, similar to the way Oklahoma used Paige Lowary - a hard throwing lefty who messes up the timing of hitters. She showed lots of promise last year, and if she can truly heal her back, her control will likely get better. 

There is only one ball and so many innings to go around though.

With this type of Pitching talent we need to back it up with solid defense behind the pitchers and score a few runs.

I have tried to watch this Facebook viewing and find the very limited field view and difficulty determining the player numbers is way to frustrating.  Wish there was something they could do to upgrade the presentation.

I'm with you Slot.  Watched a little of the first game.  The lefthanded pitcher looked sharp.  Don't know who she is.  The right hander (Yarborough?  sp) struggled throwing strikes.  

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

I'm with you Slot.  Watched a little of the first game.  The lefthanded pitcher looked sharp.  Don't know who she is.  The right hander (Yarborough?  sp) struggled throwing strikes.  

I watched the games tonight too and Yarbrough did not through.... but the lefty is Penta I believe. And Lexington Handley, and I believe KK threw as well.

I’ve watched a few innings of each game. I haven’t seen Dismukes pitch yet during the scrimmages. The freshman have gotten a lot of innings and had some success. Lowe is the freshman lefty. She has looked sharp in the games I’ve watched. Penta has really good at times too. Yarbrough has been inconsistent and struggled at times. I’ve been most impressed with Handley so far.

Also saw where Snow tore her ACL. Based on scrimmages either Denver Bryant or Lindsey Garcia will start at 3rd. 

It’ll be interesting to see how the lineup plays out.

8 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

I’ve watched a few innings of each game. I haven’t seen Dismukes pitch yet during the scrimmages. The freshman have gotten a lot of innings and had some success. Lowe is the freshman lefty. She has looked sharp in the games I’ve watched. Penta has really good at times too. Yarbrough has been inconsistent and struggled at times. I’ve been most impressed with Handley so far.

Also saw where Snow tore her ACL. Based on scrimmages either Denver Bryant or Lindsey Garcia will start at 3rd. 

Thanks for the info on Snow.  Feel bad for her.   I had seen a photo and video showing someone with crutches and right leg in "cast" but could not definitely identify the player.  Also someone also had left arm in a sling.   The little I watched the scrimmages I also got the impression that Lowe was throwing well.  Yarbrough has so much movement on the ball but appears to be having trouble hitting her target.  Penta has such a smooth pitching motion.  Would be great if Handley  could have a good senior season.  I understand she has had some "back issues" in the past.

16 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Oh. I hate to hear that about SNow, with all she has been through in her career here. Is this it for her then, for even softball in the spring? 

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Oh. I hate to hear that about SNow, with all she has been through in her career here. Is this it for her then, for even softball in the spring? 

She is one of my favorite players to watch because she is always smiling and seems to have a positive attitude on the field. 

I have no insight into the recovery process or what the future holds for her though.

15 hours ago, Mickeyb1 said:

I think it was Perry who had her arm in a sling.

Yes as the scrimmage i watched involved a ball drifting into the running lane to 1st and a big collision.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that Phoebe Florian is no longer listed on the roster, and an article about her on another Auburn site has been removed.  ??  She played in 19 games this year.

• ellitor changed the title to Any News from Softball Fall Practice?

Archived