The Shivers Kickoff Return Play

twilli13

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Because by rule, it was not a blown call.

Yeah, swing and a miss on my part. I was just reading Stat’s breakdown about it. 

I’ll be honest with you. If that play goes to the booth, I don’t know how confident I feel that the ref gets it right. It seems like such a strange rule.

I guess that’s just another reason why I talk to trees all day in the woods alone and don’t officiate college football games.

4 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah, swing and a miss on my part. I was just reading Stat’s breakdown about it. 

I’ll be honest with you. If that play goes to the booth, I don’t know how confident I feel that the ref gets it right. It seems like such a strange rule.

I guess that’s just another reason why I talk to trees all day in the woods alone and don’t officiate college football games.

Not entirely a swing and a miss. I still took the thesis to be "Who cares?"

But now I know that the trees do. The trees care. Man, trees are awesome. Damn right I'd hug one. But only if it's consensual.

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

They probably wouldnt have gotten it right. They didnt even know they had gotten it right afterwards.

On 10/28/2020 at 7:08 AM, EastAl_Tiger said:

you are correct. trajectory is nowhere in the rule book.  the rules refer to it as "impetus" and "responsibility"

page FR-85 (2019 ed.):

b. A kick becomes dead by rule behind the defending team’s goal line and the attacking team is responsible for the ball being there.

Well what does responsibility mean, you ask?

SECTION 7. Responsibility and Impetus

Responsibility ARTICLE 1. The team responsible for the ball being out of bounds behind a goal line or being dead in the possession of a player on, above or behind a goal line is the team whose player carries the ball or imparts an impetus to it that forces it on, above or across the goal line, or is responsible for a loose ball being on, above or behind the goal line.

Initial Impetus ARTICLE 2. a. The impetus imparted by a player who kicks, passes, snaps or fumbles the ball shall be considered responsible for the ball’s progress in any direction even though its course is deflected or reversed after striking the ground or after touching an official or a player of either team.  

That is all true, in high school its referred to as FORCE instead of Impetus.  I didn't ask, I already know. :lol:   Also you didn't quote the entire rule.  However, it doesn't apply here.  The entire rule reads:

It is a touchback when:

b. A kick becomes dead by rule behind the defending team’s goal line and the attacking team is responsible for the ball being there.

If the kick was touched in the field of play by R  the ball is not dead by rule, so that negates your rule reference.  Sorry. 

It's really splitting hairs at this point but IF Shivers touched it (only he really knows), we got a HUGE break.

Archived