Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

Its like the bible says.. They will believe a lie and be damned.. Thats the way some people are.. if its not negative about Auburn don't speak it.. My Lord.. God bless.. Im out of here

Holy sh**, did we just get trolled by Kiffin himself

Just now, auburnfaithful72 said:

You know I can remember when Auburn had fans that stuck together and had class.. it used to really be like a family.. Not anymore.. I wont be back but not because some screwball types words on a screen but because I dont like what Aufamily has become.. May the Lord bless you all..

Bye GIFs | Tenor

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The proof is that it's December 21st, we're BY FAR the best available job in the country, yet we still don't have a head coach. If this search was going well, it would have been over a long time ago. 

This has been disastrous. No way around it.

I'm just sitting here remembering all those times people said we'd become Tennessee if we fired Gus and they were derided.

National punchline
Fans ran off a coaching hire
Scraping the bottom of the barrel and still coming up with nothing

The parallels are starting to get to me.

1 minute ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

You know I can remember when Auburn had fans that stuck together and had class.. it used to really be like a family.. Not anymore.. I wont be back but not because some screwball types words on a screen but because I dont like what Aufamily has become.. May the Lord bless you all..

Lol we're all good here fam. You're getting pissy over differing information. Don't ruin your night getting worked up by this. 

We all want a good coach. We're all annoyed with the process. We have all made choices on who we're believing and what makes logical sense. 

I had a guy earlier who I love thought he met an inside source. Tried to tell me that not a single person has actually been interviewed. While I know this guy well, I also know that's not remotely logical. 

17 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

All I am saying is most of yall are being smoked.. Auburn has a guy they want but are interviewing.. that is why some remove themselves from the list.. I don't want to be on a list where I wont be offered... Don't waist my time.. Trust me Steele will not be the head coach.. If I am wrong I will admit it.. Kiffin may be the guy in the end is all I am saying

Again. Evidence? Source? Something? You are making bold claims with nothing to back it up.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Put the bottle down brother. You're getting into stand territories here. This is all just fun. I keep updating the OP with the best information we have. 

No one, including the beat writers, has a clue what's really happening. 

My friend, I will take the abuse.  I will eat it up, because I can and will put anyone who needs help first at the top of the list. I do not live a luxurious life, but I live a simple life and I am there to help whoever is needed to help themselves.  I give constantly because I can survive by simple means.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

My friend, I will take the abuse.  I will eat it up, because I can and will put anyone who needs help first at the top of the list. I do not live a luxurious life, but I live a simple life and I am there to help whoever is needed to help themselves.  I give constantly because I can survive by simple means.

You are hired

10 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am being serious:

if (big if) Auburn is regrouping and realizing they have struck out,  time to let the AD do his job - 

I suggest:

• K Briles
  • B Venables

Pay  what we would pay Cristobal or similar (don't go cheap) and let him hire whomever he wants.  

Get  the football only complex started!  Borrow the damn money if we have to...THE WORLD IS PASSING US BY.

2010 - NATIONAL CHAMPION WAS AUBURN, Clemson was behind us....they went all in.    We messed around on the Gus bus for 8 yrs and now we are driving it off the cliff. 

we are now a punchline of a bad joke, this is embarrassing. 

Time to go ALL IN.   

Clemson is a bad comparison. Their coach retired, and Dabo, largely a nobody at the time, was promoted internally to head coach. If we want to be like Clemson, the move would be to promote Steele, not open up the checkbook for a big name. 
Clemson lucked into their current position by making a move that at the time probably looked pretty weak.

2 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I'm just sitting here remembering all those times people said we'd become Tennessee if we fired Gus and they were derided.

National punchline

Eh I'm tired of the Gus truthers trying to shame people and have a "I told you so" parade.

People who wanted Gus gone wanted better for Auburn. Those gloating about this process aren't doing it out of love for Auburn but to be petty.

Can't let fear keep you from trying to be better. Plus, the always-Gus crowd argued there wouldn't be somebody better. That's hard to judge but we've had at least 3 candidates we could have landed that are likely as good or better.

No one knew about all of this BOT crap. We also didn't know they would force any would-be hire to take the defensive staff. 

Napier was one agreement away from being announced today. His pre-Auburn resume was better than Gus, his personality is better, better public speaker, builds a better culture, better coaching tree, better recruiter, younger, and so on and so forth.

Still the right decision,  BOT have just ****** the process with their politics. 

12 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

Bless your heart

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Clemson is a bad comparison. Their coach retired, and Dabo, largely a nobody at the time, was promoted internally to head coach. If we want to be like Clemson, the move would be to promote Steele, not open up the checkbook for a big name. 
Clemson lucked into their current position by making a move that at the time probably looked pretty weak.

I actually remember the day they promoted Dabo. I vividly remember thinking “oh he’ll be gone in 2 years tops and they’ll hire a real coach”...

Funny how things work out. 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

You were so fond of the AU family before that you stayed off the board for 8 years...

11 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

National punchline

As one of those fans that thought it was a bad move, I still hope I end up being proven wrong. 

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

You were so fond of the AU family before that you stayed off the board for 8 years...

Timing is sus! 8 years ago was the last coaching search lol

8 yrs? Heck, 8 minutes is a long leave for me. 

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Tommy Bowden was fired and Dabo promoted. He rallied the team and they began to show improvement and commitment to Swinney. Clemson was patient with Dabo and it paid off even when Swinney was still losing to Carolina. Different situation since Steele has been working for this shot behind the former coaches back. 

13 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

National punchline

Uh, no. We'll be Tennessee if we hire a guy like Steele and we lose for more than a decade. UT earned their reputation on the field, and padded it off the field. 

I am very pleased Auburn fans stood up and demanded a better HC and refused an in-house replacement.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Timing is sus! 8 years ago was the last coaching search lol

Trolling bammer perhaps? Who knows. I’m all for new people chiming in but we seem to have some new ones stirring things up intentionally.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Can't let fear keep you from trying to be better. Plus, the always-Gus crowd argued there wouldn't be somebody better. That's hard to judge but we've had at least 3 candidates we could have landed that are likely as good or better.

No one knew about all of this BOT crap. We also didn't know they would force any would-be hire to take the defensive staff. 

Napier was one agreement away from being announced today. His pre-Auburn resume was better than Gus, his personality is better, better public speaker, builds a better culture, better coaching tree, better recruiter, younger, and so on and so forth.

Still the right decision,  BOT have just ****** the process with their politics. 

1. Not gloating. I was Gus-ambivalent. I was fine with him here or gone, but if he was gone, wanted it to be done deliberately.

2. I don't understand this contention of us not knowing the BOT crap...it's been that way since the 1980s. It's just the way it is. Hence, #1. I figured we'd screw it up. In fact, I don't know why seeing us screw up the last several hires made people think that "this time, it's going to be different!" We're a pretty codependent lot, apparently.

3. I do not think there is anyone left that thought that Gus hadn't run his course this year, or at any point in the last 4 years. But hope is not a strategy, and "anybody but Gus" isn't a coaching search. This is like the worst monkey's paw wish I've ever thought of.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Uh, no. We'll be Tennessee if we hire a guy like Steele and we lose for more than a decade. UT earned their reputation on the field, and padded it off the field. 

I am very pleased Auburn fans stood up and demanded a better HC and refused an in-house replacement.

Did I say that that part was a bad thing? I just said it was a parallel. I honestly can't remember that happening anywhere else other than UT. We deserve better than Steele and he needs to be shown the door, and I am glad RiR did what he did, and glad that our voices were heard.

2 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

1. Not gloating. I was Gus-ambivalent. I was fine with him here or gone, but if he was gone, wanted it to be done deliberately.

2. I don't understand this contention of us not knowing the BOT crap...it's been that way since the 1980s. It's just the way it is. Hence, #1. I figured we'd screw it up. In fact, I don't know why seeing us screw up the last several hires made people think that "this time, it's going to be different!" We're a pretty codependent lot, apparently.

3. I do not think there is anyone left that thought that Gus hadn't run his course this year, or at any point in the last 4 years. But hope is not a strategy, and "anybody but Gus" isn't a coaching search. This is like the worst monkey's paw wish I've ever thought of.

And before anyone says it - in terms of #2: it's literally number 2. It SHOULDN'T be that way. It is AWFUL that it is that way. I want it to NOT be that way, as does everyone on this board. It's total crap and not where we want to be, but that doesn't change the fact that that is where it is at this moment.

I hope against hope that this situation shakes it loose and makes it not this anymore. If not this, I don't know if there's going to be a situation that will make it happen, short of several funerals.

12 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I actually remember the day they promoted Dabo. I vividly remember thinking “oh he’ll be gone in 2 years tops and they’ll hire a real coach”...

Funny how things work out. 🤷‍♂️

and about 3 years in he was on the hot seat... and then things changed. I had hopes Gus would figure it out. Never did. 2017 was fools gold. 

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Eh I'm tired of the Gus truthers trying to shame people and have a "I told you so" parade.

People who wanted Gus gone wanted better for Auburn. Those gloating about this process aren't doing it out of love for Auburn but to be petty.

I don’t think you completely get what folks like me have been arguing. I was probably the biggest “don’t fire Gus” person on here. It wasn’t because I thought he was doing a good job. I thought he was underperforming slightly, losing 1-2 games a year he shouldnt lose. I was against him being fired because I didn’t see us making a better hire. Auburn just doesn’t have what it takes to hire an elite guy, as this coaching search has kind of shown. 

So have we cocked this hire up or what? I know nothing, not connected to anyone and just want this hire to be good. I would expect an announcement this week if we had our $hit together. I still hope we make an announcement this week because it’s starting to feel like we didn’t have our act together. What say you? 

Archived