Honest first reactions?

CleCoTiger

I think some of us didn’t have an immediate opinion, but it was because he was completely off the search radar. We had invested time and energy researching the candidates we were hoping for and were making the “rumors” list and Harsin caught us all off guard.

Now that the surprise is gone and I’ve had time to research him, I like what I see. As @3rdgeneration said, Harsin said all the things we expect new hires to say, and now we’re in a wait and see phase. One thing I really liked that he said was that he and his coaches owed it to the young men that come here to DEVELOP their talent. That’s one of the biggest things that was sorely missing with the previous staff. They brought in all these highly skilled players, but many of us felt like those players were never developed to their maximum potential.

The first step is seeing what assistants he surrounds himself with. If he hires great recruiters and DEVELOPERS of football talent, then I become even more excited about what he can build here. Bottom line, I think we are going to see a well-coached and disciplined team that will play hard-nosed football and opposing teams will know they’ve been in a dog fight when they’ve played us.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first reaction was "who in the hell" but after reading, researching and listening to some pundits, I feel it was a very strong hire.  He seems to be a program builder, that can develop players especially QBs and he has a process similar to Saban's and Dabo's.  I think it was a sneaky good hire and that will set us up well for when Saban retires in a couple of years.

He needs some great Southern recruiters as assistants but it sounds like from his presser he knows that

Very very happy it wasn't Steele. If you'd asked me who the coach at Boise was I could've told you Bryan Harsin but probably would've misspelled it and had no clue what his record was there. So I went and read up about his record and history. I'm very excited about this hire and that he isn't tied to a scheme. Gone and watched some past Boise games, love the run/pass balance, and mostly love seeing the ball not being passed to the sideline (from what I've seen so far). 

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Reading the board following the hire of Bryan Harsin, I got the feeling that a lot of folks were doing their best to find the bright side and not really being that forthcoming as far as their initial reaction. So in all honesty, here is the way I reacted when I first saw the news...

I've been pretty sick for a few weeks and running a temp off and on. When I saw the news my honest first thought was "Well, this can't be April Fools. It's the wrong month. So maybe it's a fevered dream."

That ought to just about sum up my feelings about the fancy shade of lipstick that's dressing up this pig. Welcome to Rocky Top on the Plains!

War Eagle

Don't let the negative responses to your post get to you.  I think you ask a fair question.

I get a laugh out of all the hoopla this board made on the Steele vs Freeze vs Cristobal vs Napier vs etc.  But I don't think anyone on this board mentioned Harsin.  And yet when he was announced, there were so many "experts" on this board singing with joy about how this was such an obvious choice.

Like you, I said "who" when I first heard the news.  But upon further research, I saw a lot of upside to this guy and I gained a lot of respect for AG for looking deep into the coaching pool for Harsin.  But in three years no one will remember the introductory speeches and all that will matter is his W-L record.  Will he be a hero?  Or will the same "experts" that claim to love him now be asking about buy outs.  Who knows???

I remember all the adoring fans on this board celebrating Gus' arrival when he took the HC reins.

In a year this honeymoon will be over but hopefully the marriage will last.

First reaction was totally surprised. Was wondering though if AG would introduce candidates into the search that probably none of us expected. Him not being an AD that has deep roots in the South made me wonder if coaches like Fickel would get some serious condideration. Since learning it would be Harsin I have been optimistic to say the least. Watching a lot of football over the years, it's clear to me that there is some excellent fundamental football played in many places throughout the country. I enjoy watching well coached football teams play the game, no matter the results. Harsin's Boise teams certainly being among them. I realize that he will be ultimately judged on wins, and losses, but at this point I'm just ready for a well prepared football team that is given every opportunity from a coaching standpoint to be successful. 

First reaction- “We fired a coach that never had a losing record and went through that absolutely embarrassing search to hire a guy that was on no one’s short list for a vacant head coaching job? We’ve become Tennessee.”

Reaction about 18 hours later- I still have some questions about this hire. Mainly, will he be able to at least maintain if not elevate the recruiting we had under Gus?Is his lack of familiarity with the southeast or the SEC going to have a drastic impact on his success? But, those to questions aside, we managed to fall into a good hire despite the mess of a coaching search. Seems like a good balance between wanting to win and following Auburn values. Seems very passionate. I also really do like his scheme offensively now that I know more. I’ve always felt that a well run multiple offense that fits plays to players rather than players to plays was the best way to go if the coordinator was a smart guy.

My first reaction to the hire is that it is a home run hire. 

My reaction to the OP is a Gus acolyte trashing the new Auburn HC.  At least he is overt about that. 

First reaction after the name came up was a little google research and a “I will take it”. Love the “out of the box” part and hiring a coach at an energetic age in years. These guys don’t come dime a dozen. Well worth whatever chance

I was disappointed because I wanted Sark so bad. After doing a little research, watching video and hearing him speak, I am satisfied with the choice. Much, much happier than when I found out Gus was hired, by a lot

3 hours ago, countoff said:

Don't let the negative responses to your post get to you.  I think you ask a fair question.

I get a laugh out of all the hoopla this board made on the Steele vs Freeze vs Cristobal vs Napier vs etc.  But I don't think anyone on this board mentioned Harsin.  And yet when he was announced, there were so many "experts" on this board singing with joy about how this was such an obvious choice.

Like you, I said "who" when I first heard the news.  But upon further research, I saw a lot of upside to this guy and I gained a lot of respect for AG for looking deep into the coaching pool for Harsin.  But in three years no one will remember the introductory speeches and all that will matter is his W-L record.  Will he be a hero?  Or will the same "experts" that claim to love him now be asking about buy outs.  Who knows???

I remember all the adoring fans on this board celebrating Gus' arrival when he took the HC reins.

You have a selective memory or maybe you are just full of it. Show me all those posts on here where many were saying he was the obvious choice. Simply not true. And when Gus was hired, there were many disgruntled fans as well. You mock the "experts", then act like you are somehow better when your comments are based on opinionated inaccuracies.

My first thought was "who is he?!?" The I researched and though I'll wait and see but he does have a good coaching pedigree and he's a good w-l record so I thought  I'll jump on board.

Stunned disbelief. I just never saw it coming. I kept waiting for the story to be shot down til it was obvious it was really happening.

My first reaction was also “Who’s he?”.  Then after googling him and seeing his record at Boise I was “OK”.  But it wasn’t until 8 saw 4-5 of his interviews and press conferences at Boise did I have an opinion.  I was impressed with him from those videos.  His Auburn introductory press conference only reinforced that for me.  He could be a really good hire.  Time will tell but I like what I see so far.

2 hours ago, countoff said:

I was one of them. It was because of him and cam Newton that we won the national championship in 2010. And after his first year as head coach I thought he was great. But then he forgot how to beat Georgia. 

I suspect that most of the people on this board that knew who he was before Auburn hired him, did not think he was very interested in leaving Boise State.  It certainly surprised and impressed me.  Considering that he walked on at Boise State, and spent most of his coaching career there, I thought he was where he wanted to be.

Gigantic sigh of relief that it wasn't Steele and we didn't JABA up the hire. Glad he got experience under Peterson, Mac Brown, and Dan Hawkins and that he has coordinated in a major school and been a head coach at 2 schools. Wasn't sure of his record, but knew BSU was successful. Press conference made me feel very optimistic. Of course his staff will be a concern, but if he cleans house here with maybe the exception of Cadillac, I'll be ecstatic. Recruiting will be wait and see. I feel like he can evaluate and develop talent. Best I've felt about AU football since Bowden's first season.

The board has its usual negative nellies posting simply for the post count. The comments on the board are so fractious there is absolutely NO hire that would have produced unanimous assent. IMHO...this is a great hire. This is a very successful coach that abandoned his roots to become a part of the Auburn family.. ..There is much to repair in this program. I believe this man is up to the task...

stop lying nobody said he was an obvious choice . Most people were reserved and then saw his resume and was like nice. This guy is getting dislikes because his final message. Not to mention , prior to the coaching search , he was pro Gus clearly no matter what. He constantly repeated we will be the next Tennessee. Hence his smart ass comment about the rocky top plains.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

stop lying nobody said he was an obvious choice . Most people were reserved and then saw his resume and was like nice. This guy is getting dislikes because his final message. Not to mention , prior to the coaching search , he was pro Gus clearly no matter what. He constantly repeated we will be the next Tennessee. Hence his smart ass comment about the rocky top plains.

People were happy with Gus and rightfully so. At the time his offenses were clicking on all cylinders. What got to Gus is the league figured him out and he wouldn’t adapt. Time will tell with Harsin but you can’t deny he’s a proven winner and HC.

Just now, JMassie11 said:

People were happy with Gus and rightfully so. At the time his offenses were clicking on all cylinders. What got to Gus is the league figured him out and he wouldn’t adapt. Time will tell with Harsin but you can’t deny he’s a proven winner and HC.

I don’t know what you are talking about. I am specifically saying throughout the coaching search this Guy kept poo-pooing on all, if most options and saying why did we fire Gus if it is only to hire A, B, C or D. There wouldn’t have been a single coach he would’ve been happy with it. 

Archived