Honest first reactions?

CleCoTiger

First reaction was "Great"! Because it wasn't some move that kow-towed to the PTB. Hiring a new coach is a crap-shoot anyway and this guy seems like a better prospect than most. Let's get behind him and hope he does great here.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the hire.  He is a proven winner...more importantly, he has done it consistently.  In a new coach, I wanted someone who could develop players...this is his strong suit.  His history tells me that he develops QBs, his teams win at the LOS and he is a no nonsense coach.

Coaching in the MWC is really no different than anywhere else.  In the SEC, if you recruit good players and you don’t develop them while your opponents are recruiting the same kind of players but they develop their players, you are left with really good HS players playing against really good college/pre-pro players.  Sound familiar?

I am optimistic about where AU football is about to go...

9 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

My very first reaction was, "Dmn, no 400-page thread." 😑

My first thought was similar. we had at least 400 pages and a 1000 posts about the search and candidates. All the sources (including mine), experts, insiders, unsubstantiated hearsay, etc,. and not one mentioned Harsin. After seeing his PC I think he is a good man. Only time will tell how it works. He sure has his work cut out for him.

On 12/26/2020 at 1:59 PM, CleCoTiger said:

Reading the board following the hire of Bryan Harsin, I got the feeling that a lot of folks were doing their best to find the bright side and not really being that forthcoming as far as their initial reaction. So in all honesty, here is the way I reacted when I first saw the news...

I've been pretty sick for a few weeks and running a temp off and on. When I saw the news my honest first thought was "Well, this can't be April Fools. It's the wrong month. So maybe it's a fevered dream."

That ought to just about sum up my feelings about the fancy shade of lipstick that's dressing up this pig. Welcome to Rocky Top on the Plains!

War Eagle

Of course that sums up your reaction. You'll also be the first one on the Harsin bus if he succeeds and last one off again if he fails. You're more predictable than the sun rising. You're like the few bammers I recall whining when Mike Shula was fired.

Gigantic sigh of relief. After the PTB tried to pull the KS stunt? Thank goodness some real leadership stepped up. Gogue took charge and let AG and his team do a real search, with a real interview process. They weeded out candidates who weren't serious (ridiculous salary demands up front). They gave a carnival barker the cold shoulder he's deserved for a long, long time after his unprofessional attitude towards Auburn during his Prattville days. 2 accomplished offensive coaches, with major baggage and job instability in their backgrounds, were never really considered. Good. Bottom line is, CBH wanted it more. He's stable. Offensively diverse. Player development, particularly QB. Smart players. Tough players.

I think Harsin has the potential to be a very good choice.  I like his toughness and his emphasis on details and fundamentals. We should be better at HC across the board.  

-  He is articulate and a good orator.

- He knows how to win a media conference.

- I believe he will call you out if you try to make excuses, go behind his back, or not be all-in with the process.

- I believe he is not a fan of social media because of mis information and unlimited propagation of uninformed opinion. I believe he could be an ass to someone involved in the above.

- His wife is hot. 

My first reaction was “this is exactly what some here said. Completely out of left field with no one hearing anything until it happened” 

I waited until the PC before I really reacted. He sounds great and fired up to be in Auburn. I think it says a lot about him for leaving his comfort zone and wanting to compete with the best. 
He sounds like a motivational guy that has a lot of little catch phrases. Time will tell if he’s a person who read to many leadership books. The program will tell that story over time. I’m optimistic he is going to change the culture and I hope he holds the talent currently on the roster together. 

Think Auburn scored and will win.

he’s the type coach we need to break the mold. It is interesting that some in Boise felt he had done all he could there and they were beginning to grumble about a change was needed.

Of course the Mountain West doesn’t offer the same opportunities as the SEC.

I think other teams and fans are a bit concerned.

i was not sure how i felt until i saw he was a winner and felt better. but what convinced me is he left a school he loved because he wants a chance to win natty's. to me that is huge. i do have a feeling this season might get rough before it gets better. i want to see bo progress and get some of that big money in the pro's but i think at this time it will take a lot of work. maybe not. and i feel a ton of relief all this mess is over.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:14 PM, gr82be said:

I know, I just deleted it. You're correct. CleCo has been clear on his opinion and it didn't surprise me at all. My opinion on that should have not been shared. 

Fever is gone along with the pneumonia. I can breathe and feel a little better now. That applies to my feelings on Harsin as well as my health. I'm a fan of Auburn, not particular coaches. AU goes on. War Eagle!

6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Fever is gone along with the pneumonia. I can breathe and feel a little better now. That applies to my feelings on Harsin as well as my health. I'm a fan of Auburn, not particular coaches. AU goes on. War Eagle!

Glad you are feeling better. 

27 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I’m getting Covid tested at 2:30 today. 

51 minutes ago, alexava said:

Tested positive two weeks ago. Came off quarantine Christmas Day. Had been feeling rough a while. Tough few weeks but much better now. Best wishes alex

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Hope all comes out well and you get better quick. Have to say it really knocked me on my arse there for several days. When the pneumonia set in it got pretty damn miserable. Hope you experience nothing like that. War Eagle!

14 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Tested positive two weeks ago. Came off quarantine Christmas Day. Had been feeling rough a while. Tough few weeks but much better now. Best wishes alex

I’ve had a sore throat for weeks. Wearing masks makes my throat sore. Last week mild cough and mild headache. Saturday morning sinus pressure headaches started getting severe constant sneezing and fatigue. No fever, still taste. Three coworkers are positive, one also positive for flu. (We worked together until about 4 AM Christmas Eve )A little better today than last two but called dr.. they said to come on in but stay in the car.  I’m pretty sure I’ll survive but I kinda hope it’s positive. Just to put it behind me. I just hate that it’s ruining my winter shutdown of 12 days paid off. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’ve had a sore throat for weeks. Wearing masks makes my throat sore. Last week mild cough and mild headache. Saturday morning sinus pressure headaches started getting severe constant sneezing and fatigue. No fever, still taste. Three coworkers are positive, one also positive for flu. (We worked together until about 4 AM Christmas Eve )A little better today than last two but called dr.. they said to come on in but stay in the car.  I’m pretty sure I’ll survive but I kinda hope it’s positive. Just to put it behind me. I just hate that it’s ruining my winter shutdown of 12 days paid off. 

Sounds familiar only no sore throat and I had some fever. Also ached in places I did not know I owned. Hopefully worst is behind you. Keep us posted. My Dr. did advise D3 5000IU, C 1000mg, Zinc 1000mg, 1 aspirin 325, daily.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

🙏

1 hour ago, alexava said:

How does wearing a mask make your throat sore?

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

How does wearing a mask make your throat sore?

I don’t know for sure. But I wake up ok. Go t work. Put on mask an hour later throat is sore. Rebreathing toxins? 

Archived