Alabama has ruined college football

gr82b4au

Dabo has it made at Clemson. I can’t believe he would be stupid enough to follow wee man. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

Every team tries to get a competitive edge.  Some teams have better (far reaching) assisted help in gaining this competitive edge.  I am not shocked that a school has figured out how to work the system.  What I am surprised about, is that the school is Bama, "little" ol' Bama.  It would make more sense to me if a school like ND, Michigan, OSU, USC, ULCA, Texas, Penn ST, or TAMU had figured out where the all puzzle pieces go.   But no it was/is Bama, a head scratcher to say the least, but I'm impressed that they are so well organized.  Bama, as an organization, appears to be light-years ahead of everyone else, hence the 6 NCs in 10 (or 11) years.

They planted the seeds during Bear's tenure. 

On 1/11/2021 at 10:29 PM, Shift said:

Wait, is this what happens when you hire an unscrupulous coach, with the support of unscrupulous boosters,  and turn the program over to them?  Huh...is that how that works?

I took the liberty to change that a smidgeon.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, gr82b4au said:

A decade of #1 classes. 
Games that are not even fun to watch 

Only people that like this are Alabama fans. This is miserable football. 

They made a commitment to excellence and achieved greatness.  That does not ruin anything it makes it better.  The other teams by not making a the same commitment and achieving the same result as Bama is ruining college football.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, gr82b4au said:

A decade of #1 classes. 
Games that are not even fun to watch 

Only people that like this are Alabama fans. This is miserable football. 

Damned interesting article at Slate:

Nick Saban Warned Us That He Was About to Break College Football

Long excerpt:

Compare 2020 Bama’s gleeful slam dunk mixtape of a season to Saban’s first championship at Alabama.

In 2009’s title game win against Texas, Bama QB Greg McElroy threw 11 whole passes for 58 yards. The Tide ranked No. 32 on the year in yards gained per play, winning by such somber scores as 22–3, 20–6, and 12–10. Saban had applied a sleeper hold to college football.

Two years later, LSU beat the Tide 9–6 in the regular season before Alabama got its revenge, 21–0, in an unwatchable title game that featured five field goals and one touchdown. (Bama missed the extra point.)

That 2012 title broke the sport in at least two ways. The widely reviled all-SEC championship game was the last straw for the BCS, resulting months later in the announcement of the College Football Playoff.

And by then, the hideous nature of Bama’s defense-first dominance had driven every alleged competitor in one of two directions: either hiring a Saban assistant and hoping for Saban-like results (a strategy that usually fails), or going counter-Saban and playing up-tempo, risky, option-heavy, offense-first football.

Bama’s state rival, Auburn, chose the latter. In 2013, they hired Gus Malzahn, the coordinator who’d been in charge of the Tigers’ title-winning 2010 offense (a job that basically meant letting Cam Newton do everything) and former popularizer of a no-huddle offense at the high school level.

Everyone remembers how Malzahn’s debut season ended—with the Kick Six, the shocking takedown of No. 1 Bama that vaulted Auburn into the SEC Championship Game and nearly to a national title—but what we didn’t realize at the time was that the game’s most important play had happened 32 seconds prior.

Late in the fourth quarter, Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall, a converted defensive back, chose to keep the ball instead of handing it off, running what appeared to be a standard read option. But right at the line of scrimmage, he lofted the ball to an uncovered receiver for the tying touchdown.

It was far from the sport’s first run/pass option, but the big stage meant lights going off in the heads of every coach in America. Months later, the Seattle Seahawks had Russell Wilson throwing RPOs, and Pete Carroll credited Malzahn’s Auburn for the idea.

[snip]

“Is this what we want football to be?” Saban had asked in 2012, complaining about the hurry-up revolution even before he’d beheld the extent of Malzahn’s blasphemies. “I think that the way people are going no-huddle right now, that at some point in time, we should look at how fast we allow the game to go in terms of player safety.”

At the time, everyone understood this to be a gripe, a stodgy former defensive back and defensive coordinator lamenting the coming extinction of his brontosaurus, whining about the challenge of stopping dual-threat QBs, and worrying about his privileged perch atop the sport’s hierarchy.

Well, it turned out that popular assessment of Saban’s comments was way off.

It wasn’t a gripe. It was a warning.

[snip]

I don’t want to say Saban just chose to have the best offense instead of the best defense, as if such a thing could be so simple, but … well, that is literally what happened.

“It used to be that good defense beats good offense. Good defense doesn’t beat good offense anymore,” he said this past October. “I don’t like it. But we just have to make sure we have an offense.”

More at the link...

14 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

There may be some bending of the rules by other programs. But no one has the sophisticated REC cheating machine like the bammers. It is intermingled with state government., SEC officials, the NCAA, and ESPN and other sports media. As long as Emmert is at the NCAA bammer has free reign. 

Name one university that could get away with moving an entire family from Hawa'i to Alabaster, and supplying jobs and a house, cars, etc to an athlete's family and not try to even hide it. Name another school who would give an athlete a $60,000 SUV, with free gas, let his Mom and 2 kids live in a booster's condo and provide Mom with a nice income.. Name one college student/athlete who grew up in poverty, has no job, but can afford to regularly take his Mom and his 2 kids out for steak dinners. Name one working class family who can suddenly afford to pay cash for a new home for Grandma (after allowing her to live in a very run -down home for 50 years)..As soon as the grandson commits to  bammer.....Grandma suddenly can pay cash for a new home. These are the things that bammer does, and they are pretty flagrant. The REC is asked to fill a need for the athlete's family and before you know it that problem is taken care of and the kid is going to bammer. But let any other school try it and bammer will ensure that there will be trouble for their program. There's just no way to overcome the corruption that is the bammer athletic program because at every step the REC has installed someone to make sure that bammer gets what it wants without fear of consequences. They do not have to play by the same rules that every other school is forced to live with, The best athletes can expect to have financial security for their loved ones and an almost guaranteed chance to play in the NFL It's definitely killing college football. I said it about 10 years ago......the nickster is terrible for college football and he will ruin it.....and everybody called me a tin-foil hat wearing nut job. Now it's done and it's too late to fix it. His teams have no real competition anywhere in college football. The closet anyone got was Dabo....and he uses the same techniques. He gets some protection because the bammers want him when nickster retires so they can't have him getting in trouble. 

16 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

if ALL programs cheat, then why does one program seem to always be ahead of everyone else or always on top?  (and never accused/investigated of wrongdoing)

personally, i think there are 2 areas that the bammers kill everyone else: 

1--"analysts".  i wish this would be abolished or at least limited to only 3 per school.  sure, they only report minimal, to them, income of 80k but trust me, the REC assists in this as well.

2--practice time.  again, this is my personal thought...no way bammer only uses allotted/allowed practice time.  is this, or can this, be policed?

HEY! Keep it down home, Cuz

18 minutes ago, Stephen66 said:

HEY! Keep it down home, Cuz

Are you trying to compare a few steaks/groceries and a little pocket money for Eric Ramsey and his wife/child way back in the late days of Pat Dye to what goes on at bama? Really?

I think @bigbird @augolf1716 @Tigerbelle and quite a few others will remember back on AuburnEagle when a physical packet of documents was provided to the NCAA showing that a recruit was driving a charger registered to a booster and living in an apartment owned by a booster AND the title for both was provided along with financial information about the recruits family. The NCAA's response was basically "ok, and? We're not touching it." 

4 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

I think @bigbird @augolf1716 @Tigerbelle and quite a few others will remember back on AuburnEagle when a physical packet of documents was provided to the NCAA showing that a recruit was driving a charger registered to a booster and living in an apartment owned by a booster AND the title for both was provided along with financial information about the recruits family. The NCAA's response was basically "ok, and? We're not touching it." 

Or their s/c coach admitting paying a player

13 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Or Brent Calloway basically being kidnapped for 3 days until he committed to Alabama.

Or T-Town's menswear

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Or T-Town's menswear

Or Dante Hightower literally beating a guy and trying to run him over with his car and the Tuscaloosa police department refusing to investigate. That one isnt so much NCAA related, just something people forget happened. 

On the NCAA side...

Or their basketball program only getting a $5000.00 fine after paying Colin Sexton, giving his brother a job paying $40,000 a year, and playing him all season.

7 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

I'm lucky if I remember an hour ago........................;) but I remember what your talking about

Some cash-strapped bammer students turned in Trent Richardson for getting free gas for his $60,000 car ( IIRC he had a big black SUV) and took photos of him gassing up and walking away without having to pay the clerk. He just showed the clerk his ID or something and breezed on out every time he filled up. I guess the booster in charge of his lifestyle paid the tab. Anyway that pissed off the students after a while and they finally turned him in. And of course nothing happened. Imagine that.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:11 PM, Never2Yield said:

Wish Auburn could have their kind of success!

Yes please! :yes:

But not go about it the way they do it.

22 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Damned interesting article at Slate:

If your brain is that damaged that you read Slate, I can hook you up with some good neurologists and psychiatrists that may be able to get you back close to normal functioning. Freaking Bizarro world rapidly approaching if it isn't here already.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:34 PM, Never2Yield said:

What I am surprised about, is that the school is Bama, "little" ol' Bama.  It would make more sense to me if a school like ND, Michigan, OSU, USC, ULCA, Texas, Penn ST, or TAMU had figured out where the all puzzle pieces go.

Bammer doesn't have to worry about academic requirements nearly to the extent of several schools you listed. And, most importantly, BAMA owns the state in regards to media, lawyers, judges, good ole boys, etc. to a level that could not be achieved anywhere probably other than LSU or some of the big private universities that care about football, eg. USCw, ND, etc. Snitches get stitches, or fall up the stairs when required. The mafia can destroy the lives of the little people that were lucky enough to birth a 5 star athlete.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

If your brain is that damaged that you read Slate, I can hook you up with some good neurologists and psychiatrists that may be able to get you back close to normal functioning. Freaking Bizarro world rapidly approaching if it isn't here already.

<scold on>

Do you know what logical fallacies are? You might want to look up ad hominem, AKA "attack the source."

I read a great many sites and sources. You should too. If you only read sources you agree with, i.e. sources that tell you what you want to hear (confirmation bias) and that do not cause you to challenge what you think (cognitive dissonance), then you're part of the problem and not part of any solution.

You went to college, right? Then you ought to know better than this.

</scold off>

The article at Slate was about sports. Geeze!

On 1/13/2021 at 5:18 PM, WarTim said:

Dabo has it made at Clemson. I can’t believe he would be stupid enough to follow wee man. 

Man, I dunno. I think Dabo would fit right in. He knows how things are done at bama. And he's about as arrogant an a$$ as Saban.

10 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I read a great many sites and sources. You should too. If you only read sources you agree with, i.e. sources that tell you what you want to hear (confirmation bias) and that do not cause you to challenge what you think (cognitive dissonance), then you're part of the problem and not part of any solution.

Thanks for the lesson on "the correct way to think", I'll vote for you next time you run. Now excuse me, it's time for my daily minute of hate.

Archived