2021 FCS QB Jason Brown (South Carolina 1/26)

toddc

FCS All-American transfer QB Jason Brown is 'waiting for that call'

3 hours ago

Jason Brown still can’t really believe it a few days later.

Last week he and the Saint Francis Red Flash football team were prepping for a spring season. Brown, the team’s redshirt junior quarterback, was coming off an honorable mention All-American campaign. He wanted to build on the final six games of a 2019 season that saw him pass for 1,878 yards and 20 touchdowns against three interceptions while completing 66 percent of his passes. This would be his second season as the starter, an opportunity for continued growth. 

Then the word came down: Saint Francis, with almost no warring, canceled its spring football season despite the fact the Northeast Conference would play. 

“The coaches found out like an hour or two before the players did,” Brown told 247Sports. “The school made that decision without informing any coaches or players about it. The reasoning was to focus on winter sports, which is just weird to me. ... I felt like we weren’t a priority, the football team or any of the other sports weren’t a priority. They were so keyed in on basketball that they didn’t really think about how the other people were effected.”

Brown decided to enter the transfer portal a few days later. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Fredericksburg, Virginia native popped up in the portal officially Monday morning. 

Now, Brown is hoping to find an opportunity to prove himself on the FBS level this fall.

“My goal is to jump up to the FBS,” Brown said. “I think I can play there and play exceptionally well. I think I can bring a lot to a team. Just waiting on that call really.”

A few have come in already. Arkansas State talked to Brown on Monday, and Brown said he also spoke with a coach from Virginia Tech, who watched his film. Brown, along with his Saint Francis offensive coordinator Marco Pecora, is supposed to speak with Hokies offensive coordinator Brad Cornelsen soon.

With a big arm and some legitimate NFL tools, Brown is an intriguing option for quarterback-needy teams. Brown is just hoping to find the right fit.

“Somewhere that can make me a better player and somewhere I feel wanted, so I’m not a second option,” Brown said.

When Brown worked out during an extended offseason, he often did so alongside his high school teammate and good friend EJ Jenkins. A 6-foot-8, 235-pound receiver who caught 39 passes for 779 yards and a school record 13 touchdowns a season ago, Jenkins entered the transfer portal alongside Brown on Monday morning.

They’ve known each other since middle school when they played with former Penn State star pass rusher Yetur Gross-Matos at Chancellor High School. Brown said he'd like to continue playing with Jenkins if possible at his next stop.

“That’s something we’re very interested in since we’ve been together for so long,” Brown said. “So whichever team does end up offering us, if a team offers both of us, that’ll be one of the top priorities on our list. But we’ve discussed if there’s an opportunity for somebody to go somewhere, one of us is going to have to take that bigger opportunity. … But we’d like to play together still.”  

Brown had a whirlwind 2020, waiting and waiting to play while watching other teams on TV each Saturday. Now that Saint Francis’ spring season is off the table, he’s looking forward to finding a new home and a fresh start.

In terms of a decision timeline, Brown said it depends on what opportunities arise.

“It’s how the process goes,” Brown said. “Depending on the fit I’ll make my decision ASAP.”

Brown ranked as a three-star recruit in the 2017 class, slotting as the No. 103 pro-style quarterback in the country per the 247Sports Composite. He had FBS interest from a number of programs, including Charlotte. 

Bobo has reached out to him and he’s interested so we’ll see where it goes. I thought it was a great story.

I think we’re giving up too early on CBH and recruiting this year’s class. Seems to me they are finding some possible diamonds in the rough. OT from Texas-4* and a JUCO OT who is the top rated tackle are being recruited too. Also, the Harvard kid is giving us a second look I think.

Can the guy play the 2021 season? It's important to get a QB that can compete immediately, like in Spring camp and push the competition up a few notches.  If he's coming and has to sit a year due to transfer, then that helps in the future but not now.

Just now, keesler said:

Can the guy play the 2021 season? It's important to get a QB that can compete immediately, like in Spring camp and push the competition up a few notches.  If he's coming and has to sit a year due to transfer, then that helps in the future but not now.

He should be able to since he is coming from a lower division. 

Has good size and completed 66% of his passes last season he played. No idea what kind of throws he was making but regardless that is a pretty good percentage. And if his 6'8" receiver friend wants to come along surely we can find something to do with a guy that size!

32 minutes ago, keesler said:

Yes he can 

39 minutes ago, keesler said:

I think most transfers are expecting this to be passed:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913265-ncaa-proposes-1-time-transfer-with-immediate-eligibility-for-athletes

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

Well, now the season is officially over the NCAA needs make a final decision with this measure.  I hate to think a lot of our players entered the portal thinking this things was already finalized. 

18 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

So yeah.... this would be a REALLY nice pickup imo. 

FCS QB is an all-caps "REALLY" nice pickup? Lol okay. He'll be some nice depth. I still prefer Dee over this guy. 

Not enough plays on film for me to get a great feel although I am not a fan of his sidearm throwing motion. The coaches know better than I do though. We need bodies. I'm still hoping Davis turns into our version of Russell Wilson.

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

FCS QB is an all-caps "REALLY" nice pickup? Lol okay. He'll be some nice depth. I still prefer Dee over this guy. 

Bro be happy

27 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Since his season was canceled that should give him immediate eligibility wherever he goes.  

Yes, I see spring ball was canceled. Did it say the fall too? That would be an exception to the usual transfer rule. 

15 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Yes, I see spring ball was canceled. Did it say the fall too? That would be an exception to the usual transfer rule. 

Their fall season of 2020 was already canceled and pushed to the Spring.  Now his specific school is canceling spring ball even though the conference is still a go.

34 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Sounds like he could beat Bo out if BN doesn't step up. 

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Their fall season of 2020 was already canceled and pushed to the Spring.  Now his specific school is canceling spring ball even though the conference is still a go.

I thought I was reading that wrong because he was  Named Preseason All-NEC. Seems weird to do that if you arent having a season. He should have no trouble getting a waiver.

Archived