Christian Tutt pt. 3

Zeek

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nah, not really. 

Very happy to have CT back. Good football player. Love his attitude on the field. As far as I know, an asset to the locker room. I'm glad that none of these idiotic, overly complicated, ever-changing rules screwed him out of his eligibility and ability to play where he wants and where he's wanted. 

Just wish we could have kept Sherwood too. Would have been a clean sweep of keeping the secondary. Still, getting McCreary/Smoke/Tutt and everyone else back will be huge for coach Zac and Mason.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol now he's cool again? Once again it just shows with recruiting, choosing a school, choosing when to leave, whatever it is....make the best decision for you because you're the only person that's going to look out for yourself

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

a lot of people were upset about him declaring for the draft , but even if he did sit out the bowl game.

keep that same energy. Now we are fans again because he decides to possibly return? Fickle,Fickle bunch.

#fambly

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Lol now he's cool again? Once again it just shows with recruiting, choosing a school, choosing when to leave, whatever it is....make the best decision for you because you're the only person that's going to look out for yourself

It's so clear when these self-righteously indignant fools look for an excuse to hate on the players. 

When we hear one single teammate call out the kids that sit out bowl games, I might pay attention. Even then, I probably won't, because who knows what that kid's motivations are. 85 players on scholly, many more than that total, they're not all going to see things the same way. 

2 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

doesnt that automatically mean he cant come back? 

It has in the past. If the story is correct, Tutt is done at AU or any other college. Of course, the article could be wrong or there could have been a rule change we are not aware of. Also, even if otherwise eligible, Harsin will have to put him back on scholarship. Stories out of BSU said Harsin isn't a fan of players messing around with the portal and didn't take them back up there.

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Just wish we could have kept Sherwood too. Would have been a clean sweep of keeping the secondary. Still, getting McCreary/Smoke/Tutt and everyone else back will be huge for coach Zac and Mason.

Sherwood is a got danged apex predator. He will be missed. 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Me personally I've always felt the same.

1. His blown coverages are glaring but equally noticeable is how hard he hits and how well he makes open-field tackles.

2. Declaring for the NFL Draft was a head-scratcher. Maybe he just wanted to see interest from the NFL which is fine.

3. Transferring is a personal choice and I understand when it happens. Could be a number of factors. It's likely he weighed other teams' interest and also met with coach Zac & Mason before ultimately deciding he might be better off staying on the plains.

Love to have him back. He does concern me with decision making in punt/kick returns but some of that I think comes from being in desperate spots where he's trying to make a play or trying to prevent a big play. His coverage can be rough too when he gets mismatched but with a more diverse defense we can use safeties to correctly bracket speedy guys instead of leaving him on an island.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

decision making in punt/kick returns

Yeah, I started out getting pissed at him and I then I just accepted it. I called him the "punt watcher" instead of the punt returner

1 minute ago, chizhead said:

Yeah, I started out getting pissed at him and I then I just accepted it. I called him the "punt watcher" instead of the punt returner

I just quit judging our players with the crap-show of a staff and inter turmoil going on in our program. It's hard to gauge kids who aren't being developed for their flaws when lord knows what's been going on behind the scenes. After a drop or two it was all too predictable that he'd become a glorified fair catcher.

6 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Haha. That is pretty accurate tho. But with just a couple exceptions, we have been so non-agressive in the return game for so long, it may habe affected him.

guys holding on to meaningless bowl games in this era as hills to die on with players are living in the past.  may as well denounce a player for sitting out an exhibition.

Wonder if he'll be playing a different role in the secondary with Mason as D coordinator.  Tennison will be pushing for a lot of playing time this season.  I could see Tennison overtaking Tutt if he returns in the same spot.  

I guess he talked with the coaches and they brought him back into the fold. Normally i'd find it odd to sit out the bowl game and then come back to the team. But with Covid and the coaching change all happening it was far from a "normal" bowl experience. 

So glad he is coming back. War Eagle Tutt!! 

This smells of coaches convincing him to come back. He probably was made over the coaching turnover, decided to leave in some way, and got bad advice that he was ready for the NFL. When he realized it was bad advice, he decided to just transfer. My guess is that Zac was able to talk him into staying. If that’s the case, I’m guessing the agent story was either not completely true or that the rules have changed. I know with basketball they changed the rules to allow you to explore your chance of going pro all the way up to the draft now. Maybe they changed it for college too?

7 minutes ago, AUMicBK said:

guys holding on to meaningless bowl games in this era as hills to die on with players are living in the past.  may as well denounce a player for sitting out an exhibition.

At this point they're more like a pre-season NFL game for the younger guys to show out and the coaches to see what they have.

It is a very confusing time with Pandemic and new NCAA rules.  He tested NFL and realized he had more to prove that shows he is thinking. He went into transfer portal thinking he would get immediate eligibility now he finds out will have to sit out a year. We got a new coaching staff he might have been upset by that.  He talked with new staff , and he stopped thought about all options and decided that he wanted to stay at Auburn.  I welcome him back with open arms.

The only way I would not welcome back a player in these circumstances is if the player bad mouthed Auburn. He didn't he was gracious when he made his initial decisions so War Eagle and welcome back.

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I guess he talked with the coaches and they brought him back into the fold. Normally i'd find it odd to sit out the bowl game and then come back to the team. But with Covid and the coaching change all happening it was far from a "normal" bowl experience. 

So glad he is coming back. War Eagle Tutt!! 

The thing that’s really different here is the coaching change. Most teams don’t fire their coach when the team is bowl eligible. We got put in a meaningless bowl game, and didn’t even have the head coach anymore. He was clearly thinking about leaving anyway. So I don’t think it is that odd that he chose to sit out, and I wouldn’t hold it against him given the circumstances. Had there not been a coaching change and covid, and had he not been leaning towards leaving the program because of the former, I’d be a little more upset with him.

If he does come back i hope the coaches put him in more situations to succeed.   His blown coverages stand out more than the plays he's been in position but you always remember the negatives more than the positives so maybe its not a fair analysis. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

When we hear one single teammate call out the kids that sit out bowl games, I might pay attention

I think a couple did in cryptic tweets.

Just now, toddc said:

I think a couple did in cryptic tweets.

I'd be curious to see them, but if I had a nickel for every time the fan base overreacted based on a misinterpretation of a player's cryptic tweet, I'd have my own rookie NFL contract. 

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

The thing that’s really different here is the coaching change. Most teams don’t fire their coach when the team is bowl eligible. We got put in a meaningless bowl game, and didn’t even have the head coach anymore. He was clearly thinking about leaving anyway. So I don’t think it is that odd that he chose to sit out, and I wouldn’t hold it against him given the circumstances. Had there not been a coaching change and covid, and had he not been leaning towards leaving the program because of the former, I’d be a little more upset with him.

Agree.

Truth be told, the bowl system has been dismantled by the playoff system. The bowls need to be scrapped and the playoffs expanded.

The bowls don’t mean what they used to mean. More and more kids will be opting out of bowl games..Its just the way things are headed because of the four team playoffs.

1 minute ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Agree.

Truth be told, the bowl system has been dismantled by the playoff system. The bowls need to be scrapped and the playoffs expanded.

The bowls don’t mean what they used to mean. More and more kids will be opting out of bowl games..Its just the way things are headed because of the four team playoffs.

I think they're only meaningless to P5 contenders like us who haven't usually been playoff-caliber but who should be above, well, Northwestern in any given year. Northwestern seemed plenty fired up for that game, and I think most schools of that caliber and below still relish the opportunity. I don't know if their fans travel, though.

As for the players sitting out, I feel like that just creates a great opportunity as a fan to get a sneak peak at next year's emerging stars. 

Now, I definitely got tired of watching Gus's postseason embarrassments, but that didn't have anything to do with the playoffs or players sitting out. It had everything to do with mediocre seasons that could have been special and, eventually, the realization that he probably wasn't going to have the team prepared to win. 

Archived