Thor’s production taking off for AU

aubiefifty

al.com

JT Thor’s production is taking off for Auburn

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
5-6 minutes

JT Thor vs. Georgia

Auburn power forward JT Thor positions for a rebound during a game against Georgia at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Ga., on Wednesday, January 13, 2020. (Photo by Tony Walsh)

Sharife Cooper remembers the first time he saw JT Thor play and immediately wondering, “Yo, who is that?”

It was a couple years back, when both were still in high school in Georgia. Cooper’s McEachearn team just wrapped up a game at the same gym where Thor’s Norcross team was set to take the court. Cooper watched on as Thor displayed a smooth jumper and an array of dunks and layups at the rim. The athleticism and ability was evident then, and it didn’t take long for Cooper to realize Thor was the type of player he wanted to run with at the next level.

“Shoot man, I wish y’all knew how much I recruited JT,” Cooper said. “… I was like, ‘Man, we need him.”

Cooper got his wish, and after the 6-foot-1 point guard had to wait 11 games for the NCAA to certify his eligibility, the two have finally had the chance to share the court as teammates. The early results have been favorable for Auburn.

While much of the attention the last two games has rightfully been on Cooper, who is averaging 27 points and 10.5 assists, Thor has quietly put together back-to-back impressive games as the 6-foot-10 freshman continues to see his game blossom. After putting up a career-high 15 points, with a career-best nine rebounds, four blocks, three steals and two assists in last weekend’s loss to Alabama, Thor followed it up with 11 points — on 3-of-3 shooting — and a team-high eight rebounds in just 16 minutes on Wednesday, as Auburn routed Georgia on the road for its first SEC win.

“I thought JT Thor had a really, really good game,” Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. “I mean, you talk about being productive. You know, he, it’s incredible. He’s 3-for-3. A better coach would have got him more than three shots. He got to the foul line seven times. He led us in defensive rebounding with eight. And he was plus-17 when he was out there. Quietly, he’s putting together back-to-back really good games. And his eight rebounds were all tough rebounds, traffic rebounds. JT’s improving. His improvement has been very, very visible.”

Over Auburn’s last four games. Thor is averaging 11.3 points and 6.8 rebounds. It’s a promising sign of improvement for the freshman power forward, who seems to be coming into his own after showing some flashes of his potential earlier in the season.

“I’d say the first couple of games, I didn’t find a rhythm, really,” Thor said. “I was kind of just running around like a chicken with his head cut off. But now I feel like I’m making a big impact on defense and offense. So, I’m happy about that.”

Pearl has said that Thor wants to be better; he wants to be a “great player,” and he is clearly trending in the right direction at this point. It’s also no coincidence that his production has increased since Cooper’s return to the floor. Now that the Tigers have a true point guard, things have come easier on the offensive end, especially given how unselfish Cooper is with the ball and how well he distributes on the court.

The two have already connected on a pair of alley-oops over the last two games, and Cooper has assisted on four of Thor’s seven made baskets this week. The potential of their two-man game when on the court together is evident, and while Thor’s standard stats have shown an obvious improvement the last two games, the advanced analytics provide further evidence of his step forward and impact on the court.

He had a 20.4 PER against Alabama, with the Tigers scoring a point on 62.7 percent of their possessions with him on the court while posting an absurd 137.5 offensive rating (points per 100 possessions) and 81.3 defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions). All of those were team-highs, and he followed it up with team-bests in floor percentage (85.9 percent), offensive rating (163.8) against Georgia while shooting effectively and rebounding at extremely high rates.

As Pearl said, the improvement has been quite visible — though it has come as no surprise to Cooper.

“Just seeing him from early in high school and being able to play with him, I already knew things he did well,” Cooper said. “He’s a great shooter, has a great form, super athletic. So, playing with somebody like that is easy. I like guys like that that I can just pass to and he can finish it, shoot it, whatever. He’s definitely a great player that I like playing with.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• ellitor changed the title to Thor’s production taking off for AU

He's obvious a way different forward in style and build than Okoro and Okeke (who are different in their own rights), but the trajectory of products that Bruce has gotten out of those two positions is incredible 

you could contend that some of the guys, like a Cinmeon Bowers or a Desean Murray, were proof that he could make magic out of almost anyone but...relatively speaking I think Thor could be the most impressive out of all. high floor with a ridiculous ceiling

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He's obvious a way different forward in style and build than Okoro and Okeke (who are different in their own rights), but the trajectory of products that Bruce has gotten out of those two positions is incredible 

you could contend that some of the guys, like a Cinmeon Bowers or a Desean Murray, were proof that he could make magic out of almost anyone but...relatively speaking I think Thor could be the most impressive out of all. high floor with a ridiculous ceiling

definitely. Once he can build up more strength and muscle, look out.

His shooting touch is really smooth and for being only 17 and that lanky build and long arms, he has a great FT form...

I want to see him with about 30 more #'s of muscle. With his quickness and touch, he can play outside or with his back to the basket. I guess I'm old school, but I do think we need a post player that can score

@aubiefifty just so you know what happened to the other thread you just created I deleted it since it’s the same exact article you posted on Friday which is in this thread.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@aubiefifty just so you know what happened to the other thread you just created I deleted it since it’s the same exact article you posted on Friday which is in this thread.

my apologies.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:17 PM, chizhead said:

Just imagine a front court of Smith and Thor for next year,along with Williams....ooomp!

Don't forget Cardwell. He has been one of the most pleasant surprises this year. I love the kids motor and demeanor on the court.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't forget Cardwell. He has been one of the most pleasant surprises this year. I love the kids motor and demeanor on the court.

In my opinion he has a game similar to Tristan Thompson. 

20 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

In my opinion he has a game similar to Tristan Thompson. 

That's a good comp

Archived