Big Kat back??

PigskinPat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he’s allowed back we will get a real glimpse of how effective our new coaches are. We’ve seen the before product for his weak edge rushing and busted outside containment. Will we see a new and improved BK or the same ole same ole after learning from the new coaching staff?  I’m hoping for a new BK if he returns for his future sake and for the team’s sake. 

Is this for real or just speculation? If real, welcome back Big Kat. I hope that he takes a little longer to make decisions that involve emotions. I am sure it has been a rough time for him and I hope he is learning some life lessons.

30 minutes ago, Gr82batigr said:

If he’s allowed back we will get a real glimpse of how effective our new coaches are. We’ve seen the before product for his weak edge rushing and busted outside containment. Will we see a new and improved BK or the same ole same ole after learning from the new coaching staff?  I’m hoping for a new BK if he returns for his future sake and for the team’s sake. 

I'd settle for sound instruction regarding avoidance of offside penalties on third and medium. 

Never will understand that one...probably because my fast twitch doesn't.

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

Well, since he is now ready to dominate.... we should accept him back. 

There is that too. I was just going to post that lol, gmta.

Big Kat played for Auburn for 4 years (Sr in 2020); he will always be an Auburn man. The only reason he can play again is the Covid waiver. I didn’t see his entering the transfer portal as abandoning Auburn. It looked like a way to add to his resume with a do-over year. If he wants to stay, that is great. Again, he is an Auburn man. I think many expected him to be Myles Garrett (unfair). He is a solid player we could definitely use next year.

13 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I would too. Good coaching could turn him into ALL SEC. the talent is there. 

If he has the drive to learn. 

13 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I would too. Good coaching could turn him into ALL SEC. the talent is there. 

It is?????????

Is it the lack of bend that excites you?   The lack of power?  The average speed?  

He is just another player that gets extra hype because Auburn fans love his name or size or personality or something about a player that has nothing to do with his on field abilities.   

He is a great Auburn guy and gave it his all on and off the field that is all we can ask of him, but he is not a next level talent.

He has shown he true character and loyalty by leaving Auburn, he had absolutely nothing to gain by transferring to UT. Bryant was the most overrated/overhyped player in the SEC heading into the 2020 season and shouldn't have been starting, I considered him a liability when he stepped on the field and every team ran at him and/or his side of the ball in the red zone, he was going to loose contain, out of position, crash-in unnecessarily and was a TD waiting to happen! 

I will be shocked if coach Harsin  allows him back if true because I think he has a very similar mentality to coach Dye (No way in hell Dye would have allowed him back).

55 minutes ago, keywest said:

He has shown he true character and loyalty by leaving Auburn, he had absolutely nothing to gain by transferring to UT. Bryant was the most overrated/overhyped player in the SEC heading into the 2020 season and shouldn't have been starting, I considered him a liability when he stepped on the field and every team ran at him and/or his side of the ball in the red zone, he was going to loose contain, out of position, crash-in unnecessarily and was a TD waiting to happen! 

I will be shocked if coach Harsin  allows him back if true because I think he has a very similar mentality to coach Dye (No way in hell Dye would have allowed him back).

I am struggling with where I stand on this issue.     I coached a Babe Ruth baseball tourney team.   We made it to the State Tournament.  I had an arrogant teen quit the team 8 days before the first game for a "family vacation."   He was one of my top players, a good pitcher...  and I only had 3  true pitchers left. (not enough for a state tourney!)   

"His vacation was cut short".   His dad called asking for the kid to come back to the team.     The kid was 15 yo and I figured it was probably not even the kids decision to leave in the first place,  so I let him back on the team.   

He became a cancer!   I learned later that he didn't even have a vacation planned,  he just didn't want to practice.   He complained constantly how he had other things he would rather be doing even during games.   He actually played very well in the tourney,  but it took the fun out of it for A LOT of other payers.   IT WASN'T WORTH IT.    I regret it to this day.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

This is a special circumstance.  It is not just because Big Kat can help,  but because  of recruiting.   We are behind the rest of the SEC in recruits/players  right now.    Do we really want one of our first recruiting moves to be denying a kid to come back?  That may turn off a small percentage of recruits.  We need every advantage we can get right now with every recruit.  Are we family or not?

If / when  established pipelines are going, we can afford to straight up say, "If you sign with us we expect you to stay. We will help you in any way we can.  If you leave there is no coming back. " 

I am so conflicted.  Someone help me out here.

Coach Harsin is at a much higher pay grade than us board members. I’m going to leave it up to him. 😀War Eagle 🦅 

He was also injured for most of the year so he didn’t play his best. He’s definitely got something more to give.

21 minutes ago, toddc said:

He was also injured for most of the year so he didn’t play his best. He’s definitely got something more to give.

If you look at his last 4 games you saw a much improved Big Cat as his ankle was finally 100%. As for loyalty to Auburn he played in the bowl game and even called out some of the players who didn't.  Like many I expected more of Big Cat I saw him being to intent on getting to QB and not protecting the Edge and also not breaking down and running himself out of the sack when QB moved sadly I saw that on a lot of our edge rushers. I saw it so much and from so many different players I have to think coaching has to have had something to do with it.

He played 4 years at Auburn and he wanted to play one last year with his old HS coach who was now at Tenn. I can understand that.  Now if the debacle that is Tenn. makes him change his mind and want to come back I have no issue with it. Maybe with the right coach he can be a solid player in his last year at Auburn.

Unless I missed it I have not seen anything official saying he has changed his mind and wants to come back.

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If you look at his last 4 games you saw a much improved Big Cat as his ankle was finally 100%. As for loyalty to Auburn he played in the bowl game and even called out some of the players who didn't.  Like many I expected more of Big Cat I saw him being to intent on getting to QB and not protecting the Edge and also not breaking down and running himself out of the sack when QB moved sadly I saw that on a lot of our edge rushers. I saw it so much and from so many different players I have to think coaching has to have had something to do with it.

He played 4 years at Auburn and he wanted to play one last year with his old HS coach who was now at Tenn. I can understand that.  Now if the debacle that is Tenn. makes him change his mind and want to come back I have no issue with it. Maybe with the right coach he can be a solid player in his last year at Auburn.

Unless I missed it I have not seen anything official saying he has changed his mind and wants to come back.

Agree 

5 hours ago, Pedaler said:

Big Kat played for Auburn for 4 years (Sr in 2020); he will always be an Auburn man. The only reason he can play again is the Covid waiver. I didn’t see his entering the transfer portal as abandoning Auburn. It looked like a way to add to his resume with a do-over year. If he wants to stay, that is great. Again, he is an Auburn man. I think many expected him to be Myles Garrett (unfair). He is a solid player we could definitely use next year.

Agree, good post. This is what I would expect an AU person to sound like, rather than sour grapes.

So many questions...

I would say it all comes down to locker room and work ethic.   If he is the kinda guy you build a program around, then yes.  

Coach is building his own foundation and if this guy can play the role coach wants, sure.  If it is all about himself - I wish him the very best and he should go get PT where it works for him.

I trust Caddy to help advise Coach Harsin on this.

Archived