Big Kat back??

PigskinPat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am struggling with where I stand on this issue.     I coached a Babe Ruth baseball tourney team.   We made it to the State Tournament.  I had an arrogant teen quit the team 8 days before the first game for a "family vacation."   He was one of my top players, a good pitcher...  and I only had 3  true pitchers left. (not enough for a state tourney!)   

"His vacation was cut short".   His dad called asking for the kid to come back to the team.     The kid was 15 yo and I figured it was probably not even the kids decision to leave in the first place,  so I let him back on the team.   

He became a cancer!   I learned later that he didn't even have a vacation planned,  he just didn't want to practice.   He complained constantly how he had other things he would rather be doing even during games.   He actually played very well in the tourney,  but it took the fun out of it for A LOT of other payers.   IT WASN'T WORTH IT.    I regret it to this day.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

This is a special circumstance.  It is not just because Big Kat can help,  but because  of recruiting.   We are behind the rest of the SEC in recruits/players  right now.    Do we really want one of our first recruiting moves to be denying a kid to come back?  That may turn off a small percentage of recruits.  We need every advantage we can get right now with every recruit.  Are we family or not?

If / when  established pipelines are going, we can afford to straight up say, "If you sign with us we expect you to stay. We will help you in any way we can.  If you leave there is no coming back. " 

I am so conflicted.  Someone help me out here.

My opinion is admittedly "old school", but I can't help the way I feel: he should not be allowed back on the team.

He chose to quit on Auburn and go elsewhere.  Fine, we understand.  Auburn isn't for everybody.  But don't quit on us and then try to come crawling back when the green grass on that other pasture starts fading.

No, he should not be allowed to come back.  Just my opinion.  And I will reiterate something that someone else said earlier in this thread: there's no way Pat Dye would have ever allowed him back.  Again, just my opinion.

He hasn't asked to come back has he? If he does then I trust Coach Harsin to do what's best for the team. Whether that's reading the climate of the locker room and how they feel or just making the decision all by himself, who knows. I don't think he quit on Auburn though. Scholarships are one year deals that are typically renewed but that's if both parties agree. He played 4 years, his current football scholarship year was up and he decided not to renew. Personally I wouldn't take him back but it's not because I think he quit. To me it's about either wanting to be at Auburn or not wanting to be at Auburn. He clearly didn't want to be there so it's time to move on. 

10 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

My opinion is admittedly "old school", but I can't help the way I feel: he should not be allowed back on the team.

He chose to quit on Auburn and go elsewhere.  Fine, we understand.  Auburn isn't for everybody.  But don't quit on us and then try to come crawling back when the green grass on that other pasture starts fading.

No, he should not be allowed to come back.  Just my opinion.  And I will reiterate something that someone else said earlier in this thread: there's no way Pat Dye would have ever allowed him back.  Again, just my opinion.

Unless he had given him “ improper benefits”, then he would have no choice to keep him quiet.

If BK wants to come back, I say welcome him back.  He is a known quantity with upside...something we desperately need heading into this transition.

We aren’t in a great position with depth and quality players right now. I think if the situation were different then maybe you don’t take him back, but he’s good enough that we probably need him. I still think he’s got a lot to give and maybe something will click for him in a different defensive alignment/scheme. I think he was really conflicted about the firing of the coaches and also wanted to play for his high school coach and CKS (someone familiar).

11 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Here's the thing...

Big Kat Bryant was a senior this past season. A senior. He's been at AU for four full years. He fulfilled his commitment. He has an extra year to play because of the NCAA dealing with COVID granting players an extra season. So suppose he had just graduated and threw his hat into the ring for the draft? Would you say that a senior that had given AU four years "quit" then?

If he wants to come back and Harsin and Mason want him on the team, all I can say is War Damn Eagle!

He has to earn playing time. If he is allowed to come back his spot on the roster is the same as everyone. There are no starters on Auburns team at this point.

51 minutes ago, toddc said:

. I think he was really conflicted about the firing of the coaches and also wanted to play for his high school coach and CKS (someone familiar).

There's this, plus he played in our bowl game. Had he quit on the team before the bowl game I'd say "Hell No!" to him coming back. As it is, if Harsin wants him back, great. We still don't even know that he doesn't want to stay at UT.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's this, plus he played in our bowl game. Had he quit on the team before the bowl game I'd say "Hell No!" to him coming back. As it is, if Harsin wants him back, great. We still don't even know that he doesn't want to stay at UT.

i say folks his age make a lot of mistakes. i did as well as most of the people i know. also there is no telling what the young man was told with all the rumors floating around. he trusted some of the old coaches and folks say one of them was running his mouth spinning stuff.he  seemed to behave while he was at auburn so if he wants to return i say let him. the new staff might unleash the beast in him.

3 hours ago, toddc said:

We aren’t in a great position with depth and quality players right now. I think if the situation were different then maybe you don’t take him back, but he’s good enough that we probably need him. I still think he’s got a lot to give and maybe something will click for him in a different defensive alignment/scheme. I think he was really conflicted about the firing of the coaches and also wanted to play for his high school coach and CKS (someone familiar).

Great post and totally agree with your assumptions. Hope it works out that he can finish his  college career where he started it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Anyone heard anything on Big Kat lately?

I took Harsin's words to mean that people who left for the portal at this point are not welcome back. He said something along the lines of "guys who are working with our team right now...that is who our team is going to be" Not verbatim. How do you all interpret that? Am I off in taking it that way?

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Link? Thought I just read a story where he, Tutt, & Richards have yet to sign with anyone..

That’s true. Hasn’t moved on yet and it’s more likely he goes to Tennessee at the moment.

21 minutes ago, REALTORTiger said:

One of the most overrated Auburn FB players of the past 10 years.  He's not good in anyway and never was from Day 1 to the bowl game.

I really dislike comments like yours. Just because Big Kat didn't rise to the level of superstar expectations that fans had for him (just as we have for all big time recruits) doesn't mean he wasn't good during his AU career or that he won't be good where ever he plays next season. When current players read comments like yours about one of their teammates, a starter who near as I can tell was well liked, I wonder what they think?

53 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

When current players read comments like yours about one of their teammates, a starter who near as I can tell was well liked, I wonder what they think?

Probably the same thing when they read any tweets or any message board post.....

"All these ppl are idiots" 

Big Kat is a great young man . And will be successful anywhere . He represented the school well. Who knows ? The light may come on with a new coach. 

Archived