2024 QB Davis Harsin

toddc

Davis Harsin, son of AU’s coach, embraces move and new level of competition

After throwing for a couple hours alongside some of the top 2022 quarterbacks in the country Sunday at the Under Armour football camp near Atlanta, ninth-grader Davis Harsin reflected on his performance.

“I think I did okay,” Harsin said. “I know I’ll be back next year to prove myself more. I’ve got a lot more to prove.”

Davis, whose father Bryan Harsin is Auburn’s first-year coach, was one of the youngest campers Sunday. But he certainly seemed to handle himself well. Most of his passes were crisp. Most were on target. All in all, it wasn’t a bad showing for someone who has yet to take his first varsity snap and currently attends Auburn Junior High School.

“I feel like I did the best on my accuracy,” Harsin said. “Just moving through the drills. I felt fast moving through them. I felt fluid. So that was good. I could get better on my one-on-one action. My deep ball. Moving through that.”

ESPN sideline reporter Tom Luginbill, a former Power 5 quarterback and coach who works with Under Armour, attended Sunday’s camp. From the field, he had a great vantage point to watch Harsin throw and Luginbill came away impressed.

“I thought you could see he’s a coach’s kid and he’s been around the game,” Luginbill said. “He was a fairly polished kid technically. For a kid his age, his mechanics and his consistency from rep to rep was pretty sound. Is he a guy who’s been blessed with an elite skillset? Probably not. But he’s also just a freshman. He has a lot of development and growth that’s going to be gained over the next few years. “

Already 6-feet and 180 pounds, Harsin still is getting acclimated to life in the South after moving here from Idaho with his family not long after his father was hired by the Tigers in December. Some changes have been significant, both on and off the field. But, as Harsin noted, he has embraced them.

“The biggest change is definitely the people (here),” he said. “The people are really nice. They’ve welcomed me. I’ve met friends easy. It’s just been nice.”

Harsin hopes to compete with the Auburn High squad this spring and get his first taste of varsity ball in Alabama.

“I’m working on it,” Harsin said. “I’ve got to prove myself a little bit.”

Three decades ago, Bryan Harsin was a standout football player at Capital High in Boise, Id., who later played quarterback at Boise State. The same high school produced legendary Arizona State quarterback Jake Plummer, along with some other NFL players. Football obviously is big in Boise, but the younger Harsin knows the overall level of talent is in another stratosphere at the high school level in his new home region. And that, he said, is something he welcomes.

“I’m excited about that,” Davis Harsin said. “I’m ready to compete with the best of the best and see what happens from there.”

Sunday, as Harsin threw, his parents (Bryan and Kes) watched him compete from the stands. Afterward, before they left the stadium at Denmark High, Kes snapped some photos of Davis and Bryan together on the field. It was a reminder that, in some ways, they are just another football family. But of course, when Davis needs coaching he doesn’t have to go far to get it.

“It’s a blessing (to have a dad as a coach) because I can get the coaching right away,” Davis said. “I’m blessed because other players can’t do that. They don’t have the tools to just take it and go.”

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to Davis Harsin, CBH’s Son, Embracing Move and Competition

34 minutes ago, toddc said:

After throwing for a couple hours alongside some of the top 2022 quarterbacks in the country Sunday at the Under Armour football camp near Atlanta, ninth-grader Davis Harsin reflected on his performance.

“I think I did okay,” Harsin said. “I know I’ll be back next year to prove myself more. I’ve got a lot more to prove.”

Davis, whose father Bryan Harsin is Auburn’s first-year coach, was one of the youngest campers Sunday. But he certainly seemed to handle himself well. Most of his passes were crisp. Most were on target. All in all, it wasn’t a bad showing for someone who has yet to take his first varsity snap and currently attends Auburn Junior High School.

“I feel like I did the best on my accuracy,” Harsin said. “Just moving through the drills. I felt fast moving through them. I felt fluid. So that was good. I could get better on my one-on-one action. My deep ball. Moving through that.”

ESPN sideline reporter Tom Luginbill, a former Power 5 quarterback and coach who works with Under Armour, attended Sunday’s camp. From the field, he had a great vantage point to watch Harsin throw and Luginbill came away impressed.

“I thought you could see he’s a coach’s kid and he’s been around the game,” Luginbill said. “He was a fairly polished kid technically. For a kid his age, his mechanics and his consistency from rep to rep was pretty sound. Is he a guy who’s been blessed with an elite skillset? Probably not. But he’s also just a freshman. He has a lot of development and growth that’s going to be gained over the next few years. “

Already 6-feet and 180 pounds, Harsin still is getting acclimated to life in the South after moving here from Idaho with his family not long after his father was hired by the Tigers in December. Some changes have been significant, both on and off the field. But, as Harsin noted, he has embraced them.

“The biggest change is definitely the people (here),” he said. “The people are really nice. They’ve welcomed me. I’ve met friends easy. It’s just been nice.”

Harsin hopes to compete with the Auburn High squad this spring and get his first taste of varsity ball in Alabama.

Three decades ago, Bryan Harsin was a standout football player at Capital High in Boise, Id., who later played quarterback at Boise State. The same high school produced legendary Arizona State quarterback Jake Plummer, along with some other NFL players. Football obviously is big in Boise, but the younger Harsin knows the overall level of talent is in another stratosphere at the high school level in his new home region. And that, he said, is something he welcomes.

“I’m excited about that,” Davis Harsin said. “I’m ready to compete with the best of the best and see what happens from there.”

Sunday, as Harsin threw, his parents (Bryan and Kes) watched him compete from the stands. Afterward, before they left the stadium at Denmark High, Kes snapped some photos of Davis and Bryan together on the field. It was a reminder that, in some ways, they are just another football family. But of course, when Davis needs coaching he doesn’t have to go far to get it.

“It’s a blessing (to have a dad as a coach) because I can get the coaching right away,” Davis said. “I’m blessed because other players can’t do that. They don’t have the tools to just take it and go.”

His son is massive as a freshman. Even if he ends up being a 5* ultra-stud quarterback savant my advice is that he goes somewhere other than Auburn to play college ball. Imagine him trotting out there as our starting QB... the message board would be more toxic than even I can stand lol

• Like 4
  • Dislike 4

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

His son is massive as a freshman. Even if he ends up being a 5* ultra-stud quarterback savant my advice is that he goes somewhere other than Auburn to play college ball. Imagine him trotting out there as our starting QB... the message board would be more toxic than even I can stand lol

If he’s a 5* stud qb at Auburn I’ll put up with anything this board can throw out there! 😝 

• Like 7

Auburn High School will win a 7A State Title in the next few years and maybe Davis can be a part of it. The former HC pretty much slit the throat of the 2020 title by being a total fool......hate it for those kids. 

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Must be a complete system shock to compete vs Idaho kids then dive head first into Southern talent.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toddc said:

If he’s a 5* stud qb at Auburn I’ll put up with anything this board can throw out there! 😝 

They still won't care. He could throw for 100,000 yards and they'd still cry nepotism lol.

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 QB Davis Harsin
18 hours ago, Zeek said:

They still won't care. He could throw for 100,000 yards and they'd still cry nepotism lol.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I don't know if he will be a 5* stud QB or not. I know when the time comes for him to decide where to go if he is good enough that he would get an Auburn offer we should give him one coaches son or not if not good enough same thing. I hope he is good enough to get a legitimate offer as to whether he should take it that is a tough place to be. As has been said there will be people saying he only got it because he is coaches son but if he goes someplace else and does well our fickle fan base will castigate him for not going to Auburn. 

What ever he ends up doing I will support him he appears to be a talented young man in a tough spot.  Lets be honest as a 9th grader going to this camp he would not have had a thread on him if he wasn't the coaches son.

One final comment if he is good enough and decides to go somewhere other than Auburn and has a great career please don't let him choose an SEC school and especially an SEC West school.  

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, pass on  a (possible) 5*  QB who is a coaches' son - pass on him because of some message boards or  because of some small minded fans?

Genius - Ancient Aliens Meme Plague - quickmeme

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

So Harsin was brought in only bc Auburn was so far ahead right?

Where is he on the depth chart? Isn't he a Soph?

He is a Sophomore. Not sure about depth chart. Maybe someone more familiar with AHS football knows.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:33 PM, Zeek said:

I like to think of it as stealing a Boise State legacy 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think the young man has the potential to develop into a top level QB.  If he does then we should have a thread for him. To be honest the only reason we have a thread for him at this time is because he is the coaches son.  Normally we reserve threads in the recruiting forum for players that have been starters, put up solid numbers and that we are actively recruiting.  I hope this young man in the future deserves to be in this forum because he matches the criteria of Starter, Solid numbers and we are actively recruiting till then he really doesn't belong in this forum.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think the young man has the potential to develop into a top level QB.  If he does then we should have a thread for him. To be honest the only reason we have a thread for him at this time is because he is the coaches son.  Normally we reserve threads in the recruiting forum for players that have been starters, put up solid numbers and that we are actively recruiting.  I hope this young man in the future deserves to be in this forum because he matches the criteria of Starter, Solid numbers and we are actively recruiting till then he really doesn't belong in this forum.

A lot of stuff that doesn’t belong in certain forums are an everyday, no, every minute, thing now. Where you been AnT? 😝 I actually agree though.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3

On 8/21/2021 at 9:50 AM, Paladin said:

Dang, talk about dropping it in a bucket!!! That's just pretty...

• Like 1