Why so much negativity for our softball coach?

Not living in the area, so I don't hear a lot of comments, but why is there so much negativity about coach Dean???? It seems some of the same issues that our previous coaching staff had (lack of scoring runs and offense) still exists, but I don't see why there are so many blasting him, am I missing something??? It would be nice if Emily could be our DH instead of our 1st base coach, she was our best offensive weapon when she played.

Why? I know there are better experts on here than me, who actually have seen his teams play...but...

1. He has had 3 recruiting classes, most of them fairly high, but he consistently has had poor hitting teams, and now have gotten even worse this year, in a post pandemic year.

2. Some have said he does not manage a game well, and makes stealing, and bunting decisions that have scratched many of the fan's heads, as to poor decision making. Now some of that is bc our hitting is so weak, I think he was trying to play small ball, and force teams to make the mistakes.

3. His hitters simply are not patient hitters (therefore we have a very low walk ratio). They seem to be instructed to make contact regardless of how each hitter is more comfortable hitting in their own strike zone, and areas of strength.

4. Finally, Even though Meyers  in his last year had seen a decline in hitting, his teams never were this weak in overall hitting. Meyers brought a different hitting approach, it seems than what Dean has brought in with ALL the hitting coaches he has had to hire in such a short time coaching(that may be part of the problem too).

His latest recruiting class is hitter and power hitter dominant...so we will see how well they continue to be developed in college. Especially if he has to bring in another hitting coach. 

These are some of the reasons why he is being beat up on....(in a nutshell, we are no longer beating the good teams at all).

• Like 6

He doesn't seem to make players better.  In 2017, Rivera hit .345 in conference play as a freshman.  As a 5th year senior, she hit .271.  Second best on the team behind Koepke, but 70 points below her freshman year.  Koepke is the only player who seemed to improve her hitting as the season progressed, and she is transferring.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 10:37 AM, tigerman1186 said:

Not living in the area, so I don't hear a lot of comments, but why is there so much negativity about coach Dean???? It seems some of the same issues that our previous coaching staff had (lack of scoring runs and offense) still exists, but I don't see why there are so many blasting him, am I missing something??? It would be nice if Emily could be our DH instead of our 1st base coach, she was our best offensive weapon when she played.

Downhill man. SEC teams come to freaking play ball, there's no reason Auburn shouldn't be in the mix with the best of them. 

• Like 1

We lost 10 games by 1 run.
We were 1-3 against Kennesaw St and Chattanooga and in the 3 loses we were shut out all 3 games.
We finished next to last in the SEC standings and finished the season with a 4 game losing streak.
We were last in the conference in:
    Batting avg
    Slugging pct
    On base pct
    Runs scored
    Hits
    Runs batted in
    Doubles
    Home runs
    Total Bases
    Total plate appearances
    Walks
    Hit by pitch

We won 1 SEC series and were swept by Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee.   

Can't imagine why there would be any negativity toward our softball coach.

Edited by saminbama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, saminbama said:

We were 1-3 against Kennesaw St and Chattanooga and in the 3 loses we were shut out all 3 games.
We finished next to last in the SEC standings and finished the season with a 4 game losing streak.
    Batting avg
    Slugging pct
    On base pct
    Runs scored
    Hits
    Runs batted in
    Doubles
    Home runs
    Total Bases
    Total plate appearances
    Walks
    Hit by pitch

You might add that we lost 12 of our last 14 games.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUSRB said:

You might add that we lost 12 of our last 14 games.  

I also failed to mention one offensive category where we were number 1.  CAUGHT STEALING.

Spot on.  I haven't gotten the feeling that winning is important to the team.  It's like a sleepover with uniforms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really depressing to see this program slip. The SEC rules this sport. Like someone said above (I think) no reason why we can’t compete at the highest level. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, saminbama said:

Batting avg
    Slugging pct
    On base pct
    Runs scored
    Hits
    Runs batted in
    Doubles
    Home runs
    Total Bases
    Total plate appearances
    Walks
    Hit by pitch

There are no excuses for that kind of coaching and lack of player performance in a conference that rules the sport.  

• Like 3

I hate to see Dean isn't doing that well.  I had high hopes for him.  Sounds like a change might be needed after he receives one last season.

On 6/2/2021 at 1:01 PM, abw0004 said:

I hate to see Dean isn't doing that well.  I had high hopes for him.  Sounds like a change might be needed after he receives one last season.

No need to wait another season. He has had plenty of time. With each year getting progressively worse and basically reaching the bottom of the SEC the only option may be to throw us out of the conference next year with our continued path. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Why so much negativity for our softball coach?
On 6/2/2021 at 7:10 AM, saminbama said:

I also failed to mention one offensive category where we were number 1.  CAUGHT STEALING.

We were also last in walks with 96 South Carolina was next to last with 163.

48 minutes ago, AU1947 said:

So was the success at JMU the assistant coaches?

I would say it’s looking like Loren Laporte was the “man behind the curtain” as of now.

• Like 3

On 6/2/2021 at 1:01 PM, abw0004 said:

Why wait until after next season though?

I never understand why Auburn has what seems like unlimited patience with coaches who turn in subpar/mediocre performance. 

Dean's had ample time to build a contender at Auburn and after this putrid season why does he even more time to screw around at the bottom of the league?  The girls look uninterested, show very little passion, lack leadership & accountability qualities and that reflects on the Coach.  It's flipping sucks to lose like they have, to get handled on the field time after time and flounder at the bottom.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Definitely time for Dean to go. Buying out his salary would be couch-change for AU. Let's move on... before the players do.

• Like 3

Softball especially is a sport that needs to be fun and exciting to keep viewership up.  People are sticking around it a little better these days despite the poor results, and that is a credit to Myers for igniting a spark in Softball during those WCWS runs.  We need to start seeing series wins against SEC opponents and run ruling lower level competition.  It's hard to watch when you feel going into the series that we will find a way to lose it in the end. 

• Like 3

It is a little funny that James Madison is playing Oklahoma in the tournament currently.