Early National Signing Day News

Zeek

52 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Great job @zeek. Your efforts really add a lot to this website and we appreciate all you do. My only other comment is about one of the players you mentioned. I hope Anez Cooper gets in the class. Not only because he lost the weight they asked him to lose but he really wants to be an Auburn football player and I pull for guys like that. They can really surprise you.

I said something similar on a different thread a while back. I like guys who want Auburn and will work to get an offer.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't understand the logic sometimes. Harsin gets relentlessly criticized all year for not going after enough big fish. Now, he slow plays guys like Cooper and Williams to go after bigger fish, and we are saying he should just take the safe bet because those guys want to play for Auburn. He's trying to upgrade the talent. If he feels like Cooper is not any better than what we have, then I understand their hesitancy to take him 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, au302 said:

I don't understand the logic sometimes. Harsin gets relentlessly criticized all year for not going after enough big fish. Now, he slow plays guys like Cooper and Williams to go after bigger fish, and we are saying he should just take the safe bet because those guys want to play for Auburn. He's trying to upgrade the talent. If he feels like Cooper is not any better than what we have, then I understand their hesitancy to take him 

Trust me, it's no criticism of Harsin. I just have a soft spot for guys like Cooper and hope he makes it in.

• Like 1

Thanks for that awesome summary @Zeek    It's hard to follow everything when you don't have tons of time.   

And for the record, yeah I hate FSU.   It goes back to the 80's and none of us will forget 2013.   So let's flip those kids and stick a thumb in their eye!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

NIL has rules?

Regardless - glad this is breaking TODAY and not on the 16th.  I wish FSU was on that list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

The rules seem so vague to most of us that I’m not sure how they can be enforced. We will see in time. 

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

NIL has rules?

Regardless - glad this is breaking TODAY and not on the 16th.  I wish FSU was on that list. 

Yeah, who knew, LOL.

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The rules seem so vague to most of us that I’m not sure how they can be enforced. We will see in time. 

This seems the way of the world. The governing body lays down the rules so vague the institutions come up with what they believe to be the right course of action only to be told by the governing body they overreached.  It will take a few of these slaps on the wrist to nail down what the original intend was.

• Like 1

Seems like this might help a little with Citizen...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

I was going to list some updates but this close to decision day it's all up in the air to be honest. Let's just say this, I haven't been this excited for the Early National Signing Day in quite some time. Not necessarily because I feel confident, but instead because there are so many big time guys that we just don't know what they are going to do. Under the previous staff almost everything regarding recruits leaked and signing day often felt like a formality.

Ausberry/Rhym/Clemons/Citizen/Perry/Tolan/White/Brown/Gilbert/Scott/Williams could all end up signing at 2-3 programs that would not surprise me. There has been so many coaching changes (both head coaches and position coaches) I think some of these kids are spinning on what to do.

Clemons is a prime example. Likes Auburn a lot and then all of a sudden two guys flip from Oregon and they start recruiting him harder. Penn State he liked but the James Franklin rumors coupled with other commits made that an unknown path too. So he looks like he is all Oregon and then Cristobal bails for Miami. Well now Michigan is going to miss on a Georgia guy so they're making a last second push and getting an OV from Clemons. Miami is also trying to sell him on following Cristobal. Meanwhile, Auburn had an OC removed, WR coach change, and now we're trying to land him without an OC named... the kid has to feel a little lost.

Great insight on recruiting. At this point, recruiting news is all I’m really after. Do you think our OC opening is going to have any effect on most of these recruits outside of Bobo? If we finish the 15th strong and somehow manage to move inside to a top 20 class and maybe middle of the SEC, i for one will consider things a HUGE success considering how we finished the season. I’m nervous but excited and hope we steal a few away from other programs. This is where Harsin can really prove his meddle. Thanks for all the info. Look forward to more in the coming days. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

This seems the way of the world. The governing body lays down the rules so vague the institutions come up with what they believe to be the right course of action only to be told by the governing body they overreached.  It will take a few of these slaps on the wrist to nail down what the original intend was.

The Supreme Court slapped the NCAA's down completely with this NIL ruling and basically rendered the governing body (NCAA) impotent in regulating NIL.  I don't see how the NCAA can enforce their own arbitrary rules.  Institutions came up with their interpretation of NIL and they're operating under their own system now.   

4 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

The Supreme Court slapped the NCAA's down completely with this NIL ruling and basically rendered the governing body (NCAA) impotent in regulating NIL.  I don't see how the NCAA can enforce their own arbitrary rules.  Institutions came up with their interpretation of NIL and they're operating under their own system now.   

It seems that some schools are confident with the way they have interpreted the NIL rulings, yet some have gone at it more of a cautious manner.  Who, then, is going to regulate the NIL *rules*?  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer?

Guest MustardSeed
5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer?

This was ALWAYS going to be the case. It’s why the NIL should have never happened. 

8 hours ago, au302 said:

Agreed. Until a few years from now, if nothing has changed, I like what Harsin is trying to do. Our record this year may not have shown it, but I believe he knew it would take a few years to get out of the prior cycle after 8 years of trending down. 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

This was ALWAYS going to be the case. It’s why the NIL should have never happened. 

but,but,but……… the players are finally getting paid!

12 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

It would remain the same if the pay for play rule stayed in effect. 

Imo, to make things more “equal” fans, boosters, companies, etc should be able to pay recruits whatever they want to sign and while they’re in school. If there’s a 5* tackle coming out of Louisville and UK wants him, then if they could pay whatever they would have a better chance than Bama or Georgia getting him if there were no rules. 

Confidence in 4* CB Rhym is only increasing.

We have a handful of official visitors this weekend so we should know a little more late Sunday/early Monday morning.

I am at a wrestling tournament all day today and tomorrow so don't expect much out of me until Monday (Sunday is daddy-daughter-day).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We have a handful of official visitors this weekend so we should know a little more late Sunday/early Monday morning.

I am at a wrestling tournament all day today and tomorrow so don't expect much out of me until Monday (Sunday is daddy-daughter-day).

Good luck on the wrestling.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Good luck on daddy daughter days Zeke.   Those days are most special, and they are gone before you know it!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed
3 hours ago, woodford said:

It would remain the same if the pay for play rule stayed in effect. 

Imo, to make things more “equal” fans, boosters, companies, etc should be able to pay recruits whatever they want to sign and while they’re in school. If there’s a 5* tackle coming out of Louisville and UK wants him, then if they could pay whatever they would have a better chance than Bama or Georgia getting him if there were no rules. 

So “equal” to you means those with the most money win all the games. Interesting 

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

So “equal” to you means those with the most money win all the games. Interesting 

Have no clue how you came to that conclusion but anyways my point is that if a middle tier team’s boosters could spend like Bama or Georgia’s booster without getting earmarked by the NCAA then they could compete more. 

If Kentucky pulled in a top 5-10 class with some major flips then the NCAA would be in Lexington the next day. That’s how this sport is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed
6 minutes ago, woodford said:

Have no clue how you came to that conclusion but anyways my point is that if a middle tier team’s boosters could spend like Bama or Georgia’s booster without getting earmarked by the NCAA then they could compete more. 

If Kentucky pulled in a top 5-10 class with some major flips then the NCAA would be in Lexington the next day. That’s how this sport is.

But the point is the ones who spend the most will get all the good players. It’s guaranteed to happen.  It’s just like when there were no scholarship limits and bama had 200 players on scholly. The exact same will happen. Those most willing to sell their souls for a football win will eclipse everyone who isn’t 

4* RB TreVonte' Citizen has pushed his signing day back to February according to LSU sources. Doesn't bode well for us if true. His backup plan, Williams, is now leaning heavy towards Tennessee. Sometimes holding a guy on the back burner doesn't work out. Still developing but I'm uneasy about the situation. At least we already have Alston.

Scott to AU as I've been saying for a while but now there is finally a crystal ball pick

3* WR Camden Brown has eliminated Tennessee so it's between us and UGA. We have the more developed relationship but UGA has him on an OV this weekend.

We successfully scheduled an in-home visit with Perry. Saban visited yesterday and we visit today. He has no more visits left after today so Harsin gets to take the final shot.

I was able to sit down for a minute after all :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1