SEC Scheduling Rant

Win4AU

My group chat was blowing up today about the Bo/Tank/Harsin saga and someone made the point that Auburn is only above Vandy in the SEC.  Another buddy pointed out soon after that that Auburn is 1-2 its last 3 times its played Vandy.  I started thinking when was the last time we played Vandy?  2016?  Before that 2012?  2008 before that?  So Auburn has only played another SEC opponent 3 times in 14 years?!  That to me is insane and may be about to get even worse with Texas and Oklahoma.  It is a shame Auburn has only played at Neyland and Ben Hill once in the past 10 years.  We've played at Clemson more than we've played against conference opponents.  Maybe pods will fix all this but I think its a damn shame to only get to travel to these great stadiums and play some old rivals once every 10 years.

• Like 1

Hopefully they do pods right and fix it...also 9 SEC games

They haven't made any claims about how scheduling will actually work, right?

• Like 1

@Win4AU

I thought maybe you were going to bring attention, as I have in my locus of control, the fact we played 8 straight SEC games to end the season, save for a week off.  I remember looking at the yearly rotation of East opponents since the expansion, Auburn, of course, played the hardest rotational schedule, bama, well you can guess where they were ranked.  That took a toll on our guys late, many were banged up and could've used a cupcake sprinkled in November.

Sorry to hijack, I get your point completely, but the SEC officiating and scheduling, by bammers , just burns my ass.  

I am cool with change, it's inevitable, but I don't like the direction SEC/NCAA football is going.  I would much rather be playing Tennessee or Florida every few years, than going to Norman or Austin.  Just doesn't feel right.  

Edited by USATiger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, USATiger said:

@Win4AU

I thought maybe you were going to bring attention, as I have in my locus of control, the fact we played 8 straight SEC games to end the season, save for a week off.  I remember looking at the yearly rotation of East opponents since the expansion, Auburn, of course, played the hardest rotational schedule, bama, well you can guess where they were ranked.  That took a toll on our guys late, many were banged up and could've used a cupcake sprinkled in November.

Sorry to hijack, I get your point completely, but the SEC officiating and scheduling, by bammers , just burns my ass.  

I am cool with change, it's inevitable, but I don't like the direction SEC/NCAA football is going.  I would much rather be playing Tennessee or Florida every few years, than going to Norman or Austin.  Just doesn't feel right.  

On the other hand, having 4 straight OOC with 3 cupcakes is a good way to break in a new QB, so maybe it will work out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, USATiger said:

@Win4AU

Auburn's toughness in the East is going to be skewed because we play the best team in the East every year.  I'm excited to check out Norman and Austin and see what they have to offer.  I want to see Auburn playing there more than once every 10 years though.  Might as well have kept them in the Big12 and just added them as a rotating at large if you're going to do that.  Only so many games to play so many teams but after 2020 I think a 9-10 game SEC slate is very doable.  

I enjoy others perspective though of what irks them about the schedule.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

My group chat was blowing up today about the Bo/Tank/Harsin saga and someone made the point that Auburn is only above Vandy in the SEC.  Another buddy pointed out soon after that that Auburn is 1-2 its last 3 times its played Vandy.  I started thinking when was the last time we played Vandy?  2016?  Before that 2012?  2008 before that?  So Auburn has only played another SEC opponent 3 times in 14 years?!  That to me is insane and may be about to get even worse with Texas and Oklahoma.  It is a shame Auburn has only played at Neyland and Ben Hill once in the past 10 years.  We've played at Clemson more than we've played against conference opponents.  Maybe pods will fix all this but I think its a damn shame to only get to travel to these great stadiums and play some old rivals once every 10 years.

Side rant.. The last time we were at Neyland it was glorious .. We only threw the ball like 5 times and just rushed all over their sorry a--. Loved it and was there in person to see it.

26 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn's toughness in the East is going to be skewed because we play the best team in the East every year.  I'm excited to check out Norman and Austin and see what they have to offer.  I want to see Auburn playing there more than once every 10 years though.  Might as well have kept them in the Big12 and just added them as a rotating at large if you're going to do that.  Only so many games to play so many teams but after 2020 I think a 9-10 game SEC slate is very doable.  

I enjoy others perspective though of what irks them about the schedule.  

You are too kind, you should've just called me a dumbass, which I deserved.  I was turned off by the expansion talk, I haven't read anything about possible alignments until now.  Good grief, I'm getting nostalgic about not playing Florida and Tennessee, and we will be in the east with them.  I appreciate you taking it easy on me but I deserved a dumbass, at least a facepalm, for that dumb mess I typed.