Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

9 minutes ago, Didba said:

We will really know if OC Davis gets on campus he evaluates DD and says "yeah he isn't it".  That is two separate successful former QBs and Coaches with a record of strong QB development in Harsin and Davis that both say nah to DD

I dunno if that means that. You don’t know what someone is until they touch the field. That evaluation can tell you if someone is worse than someone else, but it can’t concretely lead to that conclusion. I know there’s certain qualifiers you put that wouldn’t allow for a Gus comparison, but I will say that Gus knew dual threat QBs fairly well leading into Malik Willis and completely whiffed with that one, bc he wouldn’t give him real game reps. 

I also don’t know how much Davis knows in QB evaluation, they had one starting QB his time there lol 

• Like 2

The roster mismanagement has been so over stated as well. This still was a 8 win team. However to make it to the next level of where everyone hopes some positions needed to be upgraded. It’s just crazy to try and sit here to justify everything on roster mismanagement when Auburn was sitting at 6-2 with everything in front of them. Now it’s back to there’s not enough talent. This team had enough talent to win at least 8 games period.

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

No tempo, calling plays the QB can't execute, poor play calling when you need to kill the clock, 2 downs to make 2 yards and dial up a half assed pass, no QB run plays....there was one decent play call that whole game on the 4th inside jet sweep call...other than that, I saw no difference today vs the crap we watched Gus dial up for 7 years. 

Bobo is gone; after this I question if he was the problem.  Play calling in this game was a goddam Greek tragedy (to quote Steve Buscemy).  

• Like 3

The only culture change that I’ve noticed this year, is that losing is acceptable.  If losing isn’t acceptable, you get fire in your belly and push the line of scrimmage enough to get short yardage first downs.  This team really disappointed me this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

Funny. My son played from 6 year old through college. He said that very thing. He loves our D, also. Played LB in college. Doesn't particularly love our current LBers though. 

I think the talent is there for the LBs. The inexperience definitely shows with the soon to be starters that played today. I’m hoping a full year with the new defensive scheme will help with that. They seem to do okay on the run but they are as lost as I’d be on pass coverage. McClain and Wooten are walking out with a whooooooooole lot of experience. 

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Nah I’ve seen a lot of weird excuses for him over this year. His hirings, his firings, a lot of the blame always get shifted on to somebody else.

I’m not trying to burn him at the stake don’t say something I never said I’m a fan of him. There just has to be less posts with orange and blue tinted glasses when it comes to Harsin is all I’m saying

I post what I want lol. You claim something. I claim another. Not much either one of can do about it, but there will be a blatant obvious amount of people who will agree with one of us based on reality. You claim you've seen a lot of weird excuses. I haven't. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Landen King not having at least 3 targets a game, esp when Finley showed chemistry with him during his short time in the UGA game, is also bananas!!! You have a QB who throws high!!! 

GIVE HIM THE MOST ATHLETIC TALL TARGET TO THROW TOO!!!!!!

• Like 2

Just now, AUatHeart said:

The only culture change that I’ve noticed this year, is that losing is acceptable.  If losing isn’t acceptable, you get fire in your belly and push the line of scrimmage enough to get short yardage first downs.  This team really disappointed me this year.

That’s not a culture change, that’s been the norm. We haven’t had fire on our OLine since Gus graduated the 2014 guys. This isn’t a new thing. 

15 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Getting stuffed in the 4th quarter?? He had one run for a yard and another run for eight yards. Two touches for 9 yards. I hardly call that “getting stuffed”.

Hunter had four touches for 17 yards. Are you sure the running game wasn’t working at that point?

yes, I am sure.

For the first time I do wonder whether we have the right HC.  That said, I do recognize that Hars inherited a disaster, and the talent level is woefully inadequate.  I’ve seen enough from TJ to seriously doubt he will be the starter next year.  Also, to not see anything from DD today would strongly suggest that he won’t be the QB next year. 

There are so many positions of need that it is incomprehensible.  I can’t make a rational decision on Hars until our talent level increases, but if the talent doesn’t increase, then it would be obvious we need a different guy. 

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Landen King not having at least 3 targets a game, esp when Finley showed chemistry with him during his short time in the UGA game, is also bananas!!! You have a QB who throws high!!! 

GIVE HIM THE MOST ATHLETIC TALL TARGET TO THROW TOO!!!!!!

Now the tight end around might have worked with him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shabby said:

All of that is teachable. A whole year into the season and you can't coach a qb to put more zip in his throws or teach Finley to put more air in his deep balls to give the reciever a chance to run under the ball. It's time we stop saying the players were just never coachable. The entire message board did this with Willis. if you don't have a single back up qb ready to do a competent job then the problem is not the talent. Its the coaching.

I guess you are saying a coach can teach ability? That's ridiculous. 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dunno if that means that. You don’t know what someone is until they touch the field. That evaluation can tell you if someone is worse than someone else, but it can’t concretely lead to that conclusion. I know there’s certain qualifiers you put that wouldn’t allow for a Gus comparison, but I will say that Gus knew dual threat QBs fairly well leading into Malik Willis and completely whiffed with that one, bc he wouldn’t give him real game reps. 

I also don’t know how much Davis knows in QB evaluation, they had one starting QB his time there lol 

I would think playing the position gives him some personal experience to evaluate QBs, but that is a solid point.  I would think he may have done some evaluating while playing the back-up role at various pro teams, in varying degrees.  Some offensive coaches involve the backup QB heavily in offensive prep, some do not.

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

yes, I am sure.

Our running plays in the 4th quarter:

Hunter for 5 yards

Hunter for 8 yards

Hunter for 5 yards

Hunter for -1 yards

Tank for 1 yard

Tank for 8 yards

If you still think Tank was getting stuffed and that our running game wasn’t working in the 4th quarter, then I don’t know what else to say. But you keep doing you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

That 5 ypc stat makes it sound like a great strategy but watching the game not so much.

It at least establishes that Tank did have some success on the ground. It was our best bet in that crucial situation. Just like it would have been on 4th and 2 at PSU and 4th and 1 at USC. But I digress.

12 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I think the talent is there for the LBs. The inexperience definitely shows with the soon to be starters that played today. I’m hoping a full year with the new defensive scheme will help with that. They seem to do okay on the run but they are as lost as I’d be on pass coverage. McClain and Wooten are walking out with a whooooooooole lot of experience. 

And they got better with this coaching staff, so I guess I feel better about the group as a whole.

57 minutes ago, Didba said:

Did you not see us get tackled for a loss on 3rd and 2? our oline was getting blown into the backfield

My point is we can’t convert a second and two.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I post what I want lol. You claim something. I claim another. Not much either one of can do about it, but there will be a blatant obvious amount of people who will agree with one of us based on reality. You claim you've seen a lot of weird excuses. I haven't. 

When you have the actual coaches that frequent this forum agreeing with you on most of your takes, you are probably on the right side of things... course most people probably won't know the guys with coaching experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

I guess you are saying a coach can teach ability? That's ridiculous. 

A coach can maximize the ability. Were both these recruits so badly evaluated by the other teams that wanted them to play for them?

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Based on what LMAO. he was dealt a 2 and a 9 in texas hold em by Gus.  this team has massive talent deficiencies because of Gus.  Hard to do better with what he was dealt.

Then how do we keep getting these leads? How do we lead the #1 team in CFP for 59 minutes? Are our opponents spotting us points before the game starts or...? 

We have talent problems, but any honest Auburn fan knows the bigger problem in these last 5 games was decision making. 

• Like 2

Just now, shabby said:

A coach can maximize the ability. Were both these recruits so badly evaluated by the other teams that wanted them to play for them?

How do you know it wasn't maximized?

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I’m 100% in wait and see mode.  It’s tough when you have no OL, no QB, and no WR1.   By 2023 he will have had adequate time to get his personnel in place and do his thing.
On D, we had 3 of our best players out, and then they kicked out the 2 best remaining, and still the defense did their job for the most part.   We’ve seen strides on that side of the ball.  Offense is still putrid.   Better personnel will go a long way there.   We’ll see.  I’m not ready to say he’s our guy, but I’m not ready to kick him to the curb yet either.   Time will tell.   

Fair.