Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Let's be honest with ourselves and not act like CDM's defense crushed it this year.   According to ESPN SEC Team Total Defense Stats, for the year, AU finished 8th in the conference in yards given up per game 369.8 (SEC bottom half).  We were just 2.4 yards per game, from finishing 10th 372.2 (bottom third) ahead of Tenn, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Vandy.  Would any of us claim those numbers to be a resounding success?  How many times has Auburn ever given up 33 points in the second half at JHS.   How many times has auburn ever allowed 6 passing touchdowns in JHS.   When has Auburn ever allowed an opposing QB to have an 80% completion rate (44 of 55) when throwing over 50 passes in JHS.  When has an opposing team ever accumulated 31 first downs in JHS.     Continuing to rush 3 and getting absolutely carved up at home against State was coaching malpractice.   That was our fourth loss and we would not win another game.

Hard to believe he was fired from Vanderbilt!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What input? Miss st ran no huddle. Our offense couldn't get first downs they got gassed. We don't have depth on the D line. Do you know how crazy it is to suggest a coach just gave up coaching? 

It's not madden. It's not a simple button push. If they implemented new stuff they would have to practice it. 

And why can't it be he just made his own adjustments? Maybe he was familiar to what he played. It's just silly to suggest the stuff you guys are saying

Miss State was 100% on Bobo. Nonstop three and outs against a bad defense. He kept giving the ball right back to Leach's offense.

• Like 1

I mean he was given this wonderful defense with all the pieces. Not one returning starter on the D line. Why wouldn't we expect to be the top of the SEC? 

I mean he didn't use 4 d linemen

6 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Let's be honest with ourselves and not act like CDM's defense crushed it this year.   According to ESPN SEC Team Total Defense Stats, for the year, AU finished 8th in the conference in yards given up per game 369.8 (SEC bottom half).  We were just 2.4 yards per game, from finishing 10th 372.2 (bottom third) ahead of Tenn, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Vandy.  Would any of us claim those numbers to be a resounding success?  How many times has Auburn ever given up 33 points in the second half at JHS.   How many times has auburn ever allowed 6 passing touchdowns in JHS.   When has Auburn ever allowed an opposing QB to have an 80% completion rate (44 of 55) when throwing over 50 passes in JHS.  When has an opposing team ever accumulated 31 first downs in JHS.     Continuing to rush 3 and getting absolutely carved up at home against State was coaching malpractice.   That was our fourth loss and we would not win another game.

Why did you go with yards instead of points allowed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

Miss State was 100% on Bobo. Nonstop three and outs against a bad defense. He kept giving the ball right back to Leach's offense.

It's AMAZING how many critique the defense but have no understanding of this. Defense was supposed to be balls to the wall against the uptempo offense without ours getting first downs.

We looked good and we faded out and the overall consensus is we didn't rush 4 as opposed to seeing the guys getting gassed. What was our d line rotation? Around 5 players I think?

• Like 1

i got this from reddit

Mason was on Oklahoma State's campus yesterday

renderTimingPixel.png

Per Nathan King of 247sports. The folks at Auburn Undercover are saying there's real smoke here.

Edit: King now saying that Miami has some interest in Mason for their DC spot. He says it's now pretty much a given that Mason is trying to leave.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Listen this is a very bad take. If CDM leaves for a less than lateral job after 1 year we are at Defcon 1.

CDM is the most prestigious assistant on the staff. Almost all our recruiting success has been on the defensive side. And we're coming off the best defensive IB performance in history.

You can shrug it off if you want to. But that's willful ignorance. If our best assistant leaves after a year with our new HC for a worse job, it will scream that something is very, very wrong at Auburn.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Why did you go with yards instead of points allowed?

Great question! Ask how did Mason's defense perform at Vanderbilt to the guy that always say he was fired from Vanderbilt

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Please at least do some research.  That bad defense finished 4th in the conference and didn't get to play Alabama State or Akron. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's AMAZING how many critique the defense but have no understanding of this. Defense was supposed to be balls to the wall against the uptempo offense without ours getting first downs.

We looked good and we faded out and the overall consensus is we didn't rush 4 as opposed to seeing the guys getting gassed. What was our d line rotation? Around 5 players I think?

Mason wasn't great that day but it was definitely because Bobo left him out to dry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

Please at least do some research.  That bad defense finished 4th in the conference and didn't get to play Alabama State or Akron. 

Wow that's condescending. What is it like to be right all the time?

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Mason wasn't great that day but it was definitely because Bobo left him out to dry. 

OL was trash, Bo got hurt, Bobo didn't help matter, but the standings don't give Mason doesn't get some free pass. Team sport. Coaches and players.

• Like 1

I'm telling you if Mason leaves we'll get what we deserve. The defensive guys came for him. It also means something is going on with the coaches and you'll see a bunch more transfers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i got this from reddit

Mason was on Oklahoma State's campus yesterday

renderTimingPixel.png

Per Nathan King of 247sports. The folks at Auburn Undercover are saying there's real smoke here.

Edit: King now saying that Miami has some interest in Mason for their DC spot. He says it's now pretty much a given that Mason is trying to leave.

two interesting quotes from what i posted from reddit.

To be fair, Oklahoma State's defense was excellent last year as part of a 12-2 team. I have no idea what they return, but I feel like that has to factor in a bit

It's one of the jobs that's still available, and has lots of stability. Other than that, I don't know.

maybe the above comments if true explain why mason is interested in okie state. who knows at this point.

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

Gave up at least 28 points in 8 of their games, including to teams like La Tech and Memphis. They gave up 28 in a quarter and a half to us. 

You've got this one wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

But they did get to play LA Tech and Tennessee State. And they finished 9th in the SEC in pts allowed. Auburn was 5th. 

Edited by cbo
Sorry, listed wrong teams
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

OL was trash, Bo got hurt, Bobo didn't help matter, but the standings don't give Mason doesn't get some free pass. Team sport. Coaches and players.

The standings for the D aren't even bad. And the D improved as the season went on, which points to ... coaching. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

Gave up at least 28 points in 8 of their games, including to teams like La Tech and Memphis. They gave up 28 in a quarter and a half to us. 

You've got this one wrong.

The giving up 28 to us is wild. We couldn't even generate explosive plays, not the best ol and our qb wasn't accurate with his deep ball

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

That is how ESPN ranks the teams. 

Lol Dan Mullen tried to spin his losses saying that yards were what really mattered. It didn't work out very well. 

• Like 1

Just now, cbo said:

The standings for the D aren't even bad. And the D improved as the season went on, which points to ... coaching. 

But he didn't bring a championship to Vanderbilt!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Standings as in wins and losses. MSU was a big fat L.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Wow that's condescending. What is it like to be right all the time?

Long memory, very thin skin Cole.   Come on.   Do you agree that finishing 4th in the SEC in total defense behind only UGA, Bama, and AtM on a pass happy oriented offensive team is a "bad defense."   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What input? Miss st ran no huddle. Our offense couldn't get first downs they got gassed. We don't have depth on the D line. Do you know how crazy it is to suggest a coach just gave up coaching? 

It's not madden. It's not a simple button push. If they implemented new stuff they would have to practice it. 

And why can't it be he just made his own adjustments? Maybe he was familiar to what he played. It's just silly to suggest the stuff you guys are saying

Look , I didn't say he gave up coaching.. I have no idea if he did or not. Maybe a coincidence. Maybe he was told to take more input from Asst coaches or maybe he devised the plan all by himself. I have no idea which was the case and u don't either. But u can't be serious comparing Miss St Offense to Bama. Miss st runs no more hurry up than Bama... All they do is pass nearly every play.

Just now, LPTiger said:

Long memory, very thin skin Cole.   Come on.   Do you agree that finishing 4th in the SEC in total defense behind only UGA, Bama, and AtM on a pass happy oriented offensive team is a "bad defense."   

Can't lie and pretend I've followed miss st enough to speak on their defense. I do know with what he had to work with Mason did a good job with ours though. 

And I'm not thin skin I'm just pointing out there's nothing wrong with you speaking your opinion. I really believe that. 

• Like 1