SPC Elite Invitational

all4AU

15 hours ago, wmsau said:

We just beat a top 10 Texas team, no matter who they lost to earlier. FSU is expected to get back to the WCWS. Just give Auburn credit for doing what they are supposed to do. In the past few years, we would not have got a hit, even if you were pitching. If AU beats UCLA in the morning, you would just state they had already lost to Northwestern. 

UCLA is just more experienced and faster!! I will give credit where it's due. 

2 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

The game today vs. UCLA was a rough one. There are no other words to describe it. UCLA came out on a mission after losing twice yesterday, and Auburn was riding a high after beating Texas. UCLA is a very good team and will be one of the best teams we face this year. Hopefully our team will learn valuable lessons from this game.

It seems 3 out of our 4 pitchers are dealing with some type of injury, and you need more than one fully healthy pitcher in a tournament like St. Pete. I imagine Dean pulled Penta to preserve her as much as possible for a start against USF tomorrow. USF has a great pitcher (Corrick) who can shutdown anyone, so our team needs to put this game behind them and refocus for tomorrow. 

Based on this weekend, I do believe this team can make a deep run in the postseason. We need to get Lowe, Dismukes, and Yarbrough fully healthy though. Our hitters will also need a better approach against pitchers with a good changeup moving forward.  

Spot on!!!

1 minute ago, AU1947 said:

UCLA is just more experienced and faster!! I will give credit where it's due. 

I always appreciate the opportunity to play talented teams at the beginning of the season. It's a great measuring stick and often these games will glaringly expose areas of improvement that can be addressed in the near future. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AU1947 said:

Yarborough is struggling and coming off injury. Lowe struggled, Penta struggled and we had balls dropping in the outfield, couldn't get to where we needed to be. Young team and game was too fast for them!!

Yarbrough probably needed another week of recovery, but Dean’s hand was forced with Lowe also nursing injury and Dismukes not available at all. 

Yarbrough will get more chances over the next few weeks to build her confidence. She showed great spin yesterday against Wisconsin. I’m excited to see our staff when they are all healthy. 

Our young team finally got their first taste of a pitcher that can keep you guessing.  Even then, i think we outplayed them the first 3 innings.  We hesitated on the dropped ball enough to get thrown out at home and took 2 Ks after the Garcia triple.  We never got that key hit. And it's an early game after 2 games the day before.  Great experience and still thought we competed until UCLA timed up Lowe in 4th. Just couldn't seem to get out of that inning. 

I'll give Dean credit for recognizing the obvious. In his interview he said we have to start swinging at strikes. The feel of the game turned when our outs # 2 and 3 in the third inning were both called 3rd strikes on pitches that were well over the plate.  You gotta' get the bat off your shoulder on a hittable two-strike pitch.

Final game against USF is underway. Penta for AU. USF is resting their All-American ace, Georgina Corrick. The key for AU will be to score early and not give USF a chance to bring their ace in with a tie or lead. 

3-0 Auburn after 4 complete. Penta with 4 K's. Sydney Cox has made some stellar plays at 3rd. 

Edit: Peralta leadoff bomb in the top of the 5th. 4-0 Tigers.

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 2

Great weekend winning 4 of 5 games. USF only had 3 hits today. Maddie and Shelby both had 5 K's each. They are such a great 1-2 punch. Very different from each other so it is hard for batters to adjust when we swap mid game like that. 

Edit: Final score was 5-1.

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, all4AU said:

3-0 Auburn after 4 complete. Penta with 4 K's. Sydney Cox has made some stellar plays at 3rd. 

Edit: Peralta leadoff bomb in the top of the 5th. 4-0 Tigers.

Happy to see Peralta get a hold of one.  

• Like 1