'We feel like we're going to beat the crap out of them'

aubiefifty

Auburn's Zep Jasper talks revenge against Arkansas: 'We feel like we're going to beat the crap out of them'

Keith Farner | 16 hours ago

Arkansas’ upset of Auburn last month in Bud Walton Arena was one of the biggest upsets of the college basketball season. Auburn players like Zep Jasper haven’t forgotten it, and have vowed to do something about revenge.

A month ago, the Razorbacks won 80-76 after they hit 11 of 14 free throws in the final 1:52 of overtime in front of a raucous crowd. The loss meant the end of a 19-game winning streak for Auburn since a double-overtime loss to Connecticut in November. It’s the first time Arkansas team has beaten a No. 1-ranked team since 1984, against North Carolina

“We would love to get them back,” he said on the Locked On Auburn podcast. “Especially Arkansas, not really Florida, but Arkansas. We’d love to get them back. We see them on the side, and they win, we win, that’s for sure. We would want to play. We just feel like we was disrespected. They got a win, they feel like they’re better than us right now. But if we play against them, then intensity is going to be high. The energy is going to be flowing because we feel like we’ve got something to prove against them. We feel like we’re going to beat the crap out of them when we see them again.”

Jasper said Auburn didn’t tolerate the disrespect put out by Arkansas players, coaches and fans.

The teams have a great chance to meet on Saturday in the SEC Tournament semifinals, and you can be sure these comments will make their way to the Arkansas locker room.

I really don't get the revenge on Florida angle.  We split against them and Castleton has proven to get the better of Kessler in both games.  Just not a good matchup.  I do not want to see them.  Arkansas I totally get.  Let's beat the mess out of them.  Tennesee too. 

• Like 2

Musselman accused us of stomping on their logo prior to the game. No clue if our guys did it on purpose. Is there any other reason why there’s heat between the two teams?

The dunk after the horn and the coach in the arm sling going into the locker room, taking his shirt off, and coming back out were probably some of the stuff Zep is talking about. I'd love to see us go get all the teams that beat us, not for revenge, but to make us better at playing teams that gave us a hard time. I also like Zep's attitude about it as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

The dunk after the horn and the coach in the arm sling going into the locker room, taking his shirt off, and coming back out were probably some of the stuff Zep is talking about. I'd love to see us go get all the teams that beat us, not for revenge, but to make us better at playing teams that gave us a hard time. I also like Zep's attitude about it as well. 

I could see that angle as a reason to play Florida. 

I'm a big fan of Zep, but not a fan of giving Arky bulletin board material.  There's no reason to do that.  It serves no purpose except to help the pig heads get more ready for the game.  I love Zep's revenge enthusiasm; keep it real and keep it alive, but keep it in the locker room.

Edited by MaxCohen216
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 2

14 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I'm a big fan of Zep, but not a fan of giving Arky bulletin board material.  There's no reason to do that.  It serves no purpose except to help the pig heads get more ready for the game.  I love Zep's revenge enthusiasm; keep it real and keep it alive, but keep it in the locker room.

If Arkansas doesnt know we want to whip their ass then Arkansas, the state, their players, their coaching staff, and their fans are all ignorant. 😂

Bulletin board material can get a team up for a bit, but I've seen teams get too amped for a basketball game and it play against them. I'm just not too worried about it I guess?

20 hours ago, Viper said:

Musselman accused us of stomping on their logo prior to the game. No clue if our guys did it on purpose. Is there any other reason why there’s heat between the two teams?

We danced at mid-court pregame, the same as we have done at every single game we have played so far. It hasnt been a disrespect thing all year, just a way to stay loose and energetic pregame. 

1 hour ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

We danced at mid-court pregame, the same as we have done at every single game we have played so far. It hasnt been a disrespect thing all year, just a way to stay loose and energetic pregame. 

That’s what I assumed. Is there another reason why there’s heat between these two teams?

22 hours ago, Viper said:

Did he bring up the crap the fans were throwing at our players or the slurs they were yelling when we got off the bus?

• Like 1

Just now, kennypowers said:

Did he bring up the crap the fans were throwing at our players or the slurs they were yelling when we got off the bus?

Must have got off the bus in Baton Rouge. 

40 minutes ago, Viper said:

That’s what I assumed. Is there another reason why there’s heat between these two teams?

Kenny hit on it a bit, but their fans have tried everything they can to make us a rival when they're not really competitive in anything outside of baseball and track. All that said, they saw an opportunity to make a difference in basketball and it brought out some clowns. Clowns that are still mad about a no fumble call from 2 football seasons ago.

On 3/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, Viper said:

their coach said it as well. he said it fired them up and that is why they won the game.

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Musselman is their coach. 

good lord young lad just tell everyone!   lol

On 3/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, AUFightingSoldiers said:

If Arkansas doesnt know we want to whip their ass then Arkansas, the state, their players, their coaching staff, and their fans are all ignorant. 😂

Bulletin board material can get a team up for a bit, but I've seen teams get too amped for a basketball game and it play against them. I'm just not too worried about it I guess?

I guess Zep should have been more concerned with winning the first game of the tournament than trash talking Arkansas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, Viper said:

We dance on opposing teams logos before EVERY road game. We also dance on our own logo before home games. I can't stand it because its cocky and lately we keep getting beat but we still dance on their logos. Funny thing is our fanbase hates cocky players from opposing teams but those same fans find nothing wrong with our team dancing on opposing teams logos and being cocky as hell. I don't blame Arkansas or Musselman one bit for getting pissed off about it. 

7 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I guess Zep should have been more concerned with winning the first game of the tournament than trash talking Arkansas.

My Arky friend said to me almost the exact same thing.