Baseball vs South Carolina series

Rambusch grounds out to 1st.

Howell singles!

DiChiara with a single! Runners on 1st and 2nd. New pitcher for South Carolina.

Wild pitch and both runners move up. 3-2 count for Carlson. Shallow fly out.

Peirce grounds out.

8-6 Auburn T9th and Burkhalter coming in for the save!

Fly out! AUBURN WINS 8-6! First time this season we've won the middle game in an SEC series! Going for the sweep tomorrow!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally, a chance for a sweep in an SEC series. Even if we don't get it, still nice going into tomorrow with the series already won. 

• Like 1

DiChiara must be very, very strong. On first impression of his homerun, it looked as if he didn't quite hit it on the screws, yet it went out OPPOSITE field.

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Butch is developing him to stay in past the 5th. Bright started out going 3-4 innings before he lost control. He's edged up to about 5-6 innings. He has great stuff but he is still a project. Covid set everybody back a little. If he takes Bright out early the kid will never be any good. It would ruin him. 

Butch is a great coach and he will get the best out of every player.

I understand that to a degree. 

Butch got BRight into the 4th. THen thev5th. Now he gets him into the 6th. 

but you’re also coaching the team to win. They had this game won w this bullpen into the 6th. Position and wins in the SEC are everything at this point. 

gut tells me he got him stretched to the 6th, now any baserunnnerd that jeopardize The lead Bright has to come out. Why? Bc that will ALSO give confidence that Bright leave w the lead. 

just my take here. 

Bright has to learn from adversity in order to move forward. That's just the nature of baseball. Pitchers don't learn much when everything is going well because baseball is such a fickle game, and much harder to control than almost any other sport. They gain confidence from knowing what to do when things go south, or knowing how to compensate for shortcomings.

What makes or breaks a pitcher is the ability to pitch out of a jam. Some learn that early and others don't. But in almost every game hard times will come and pitchers have to learn to pitch around their mistakes, or defensive errors, offensive slumps,or the weather. Sometimes pitchers just have a bad day and don't perform well. They have to learn to manage all that. 

Davis Daniel is a great example. He let adversity get to him to the point that he almost lost his baseball career despite being very talented. Butch saved him by teaching him slowly how to manage emotions and eased him back into the rotation as a reliever instead of a starter. He allowed DD to mature a little and stuck with him. 

Butch is a great coach and he knows what he's doing. Losing a year to COVID didn't help some of these kids, and for others it was a blessing in disguise. Butch has a plan and he handles the roster pretty well.

• Like 1

Figured someone would have done some updates. Softball is over so will do updates from here on out.

We're in the B7th and up 2-0!

Gonzalez has pitched another masterpiece. 7 innings, 5 hits, 4 Ks, ZERO walks!

Bello did save a home run on a jumping catch, though.

LaRue's great weekend continues as he had an RBI double earlier in the game and then came around to score in a later inning.

Auburn gets two on board in the B7th but nothing else.

2-0 Auburn T8th!

Skipper starts warming up in the bullpen.

Lead off single to start the 8th.

Soon as I start listening, South Carolina has it's first back to back hits. Only the 2nd time they've had a runner on 2nd.

Skipper coming in to try hold the lead. Got his work cut out for him.

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Skipper comes in and gets a strike out and a DOUBLE PLAY!!

WOW!

Hill, Moore, Foster up!

2-0 Auburn B8th

You brought softball luck over to baseball TP, good job!

1 more inning. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

What’s the two step this pitcher is doing before each pitch? 

Well he stopped but was doing with the first batter. Makes me think I’m seeing things 😬

Hill with a 9 pitch at bat before getting a lead off single! Farquhar runs for Hill.

Moore flies out.

Foster strikes out and Farquhar gets caught stealing.

Burkhalter coming in for his 3rd save of the weekend!

2-0 Auburn T9th

Excellent all round team. Gonzalez needs to be on the short list for major pitching awards. 

I think Gonzo's ERA will drop to 1.8____ after this start.   In the era of everyone throwing 95-98, batters don't get to see many true sinking ball pitchers.   If he can put together a great start against UT and then ARKY, scouts will take notice.  His improvement year over year is remarkable.  Could Gonzo follow in the footsteps of Mize and Thompson?   Shoutout to Burky as well.   I wonder if we have ever had a closer get 3 saves in 1 weekend in SEC play?  I'm sure there have not been many.  If you had a MLB pitching prospect son, why wouldn't you send him to CBT and CTH?

• Like 2