Caddy for coach?

SaturdayGT

If Caddy wants to be a head coach long term I wonder if we could trade him for Prime?  I would hate to lose him but might be a great opportunity for him. 

30 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

No other HC candidate brings what Cadillac brings to AU. And no other coach is guaranteed to keep him on staff. 

If Clemson could give Dabo a chance, why can't we do it with Cadillac?

Dabo had a lot more experience than Caddy. And I’d also argue there’s more examples of the Dabo experiment type situation that didn’t work.

I’m wrestling with a dilemma.   I would love to see Caddy get some experience and come back and be the HC one day.   But I also don’t want him to leave AU.  And he can’t get HC experience somewhere else without leaving.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Dabo had a lot more experience than Caddy. And I’d also argue there’s more examples of the Dabo experiment type situation that didn’t work.

I do not think people truly understand the huge difference between Dabo and Caddy. When Dabo became coach one of the first things he did was fire the OC. He was an assistant head coach and had a major had in orchestrating the offense and was a major recruiter prior to being the interim. He also changed the culture of Clemson and he created the "tiger walk." He was a visionary and very intricate in specifics to a tee.

46 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I’m wrestling with a dilemma.   I would love to see Caddy get some experience and come back and be the HC one day.   But I also don’t want him to leave AU.  And he can’t get HC experience somewhere else without leaving.   

Make him AHC. Then, he may leave a few years from now to try out his luck as head coach elsewhere. Maybe he comes back as head coach in 10-15 years. He’s only 40. Plenty of time for the Caddy to permanent HC narrative to happen. Doesn’t have to happen right now.

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

Dabo's assistant coaches plus leaning on Woody McCorvey as his mentor was more instrumental than a few extra years as an assistant. 

I just feel like we're overthinking a lot of the reasons why not to hire him.  

Again, I would think that should he win the next two games, or even win one of the two but be in the Alabama game with a chance to win at the end, that he should get serious consideration.  Really think about the dumpster fire he was shoved into that was Auburn football 3 weeks ago, from the top all the way down to the team itself, which played all season with less than full effort often, with little to no heart, and with no sense of togetherness.  For Coach Caddy to turn that around and within two weeks time get everyone to buy all-in like he has, with everyone on the team all seemingly working towards a common goal together with heart and maximum effort, that is a small miracle in itself.  Look at the fan and alumni support he had turn out at this game between two teams with losing records, both with a lot of losses that were downright embarrassing.  He made this a sell-out game that had no business being a sell-out, bringing back literally tens of thousands of fans to both the stadium and to the TV who had already given up on the season and who were apathetic at BEST.  Hell, I was one of them! I wasn't even watching the games on TV anymore, just recording them in the slim hope they would win and could watch it without feeling embarrassed for Auburn, a school I love and where I spent 5 of some of the best years of my life thus far.  When you think about it that way, I'm not sure anyone else on earth could have made that happen but him.  I know a lot of you think it stupid to even consider him for head coach due to his total lack of experience, and I can't argue with that.  It is true it would be a VERY risky hire for any one of a number of logical reasons.  He would absolutely be learning on-the-job at a big-time traditional football school in one of the hardest conferences in the U.S. to win consistently in.  It would be a monumental task for anyone really.  Do I think he could do it?  I am going to see how the rest of the season and recruiting plays out but I think there is a really good chance that he could do it, as long as he gets the perfect staff around him.