Kiffin Says that He Hasn't Accepted a Job at Another School.....ESPN, Chris Low 11/22/22

Elephant Tipper

Sources -- Lane Kiffin meets with Ole Miss players amid speculation (espn.com)

Sources: Lane Kiffin meets with Ole Miss players amid speculation

• low_chris.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Chris LowESPN Senior Writer

Amid speculation he's leaving for the Auburn head-coaching job, Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin met with his players Tuesday and assured them that he hasn't accepted a job at any other school, sources told ESPN.

Kiffin as a rule doesn't respond to coaching rumors, but sources told ESPN that he felt as if he owed it to his players and their parents to formally address the situation after a report surfaced Monday by WCBI-TV in Columbus, Mississippi, that Kiffin planned to step down Friday and head to Auburn. WCBI-TV also reported that Auburn had yet to officially offer the job to anyone.

"He told the players his focus was on Mississippi State and nothing else and that any reports out there about his accepting another offer were totally false," sources told ESPN.

Ole Miss faces Mississippi State on Thursday night in their annual Egg Bowl rivalry in Oxford.

Sources told ESPN that Kiffin and Liberty's Hugh Freeze are at the forefront of Auburn's coaching search. Auburn and Alabama play Saturday in their Iron Bowl rivalry game in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Cadillac Williams, a former star running back at Auburn, has led the Tigers to two straight wins as interim coach after replacing the fired Bryan Harsin.

Kiffin, in his third season at Ole Miss, guided the Rebels to their first 10-win regular season a year ago. Ole Miss is 8-3 this season but has lost three of its past four games, including a 42-27 setback last weekend at Arkansas, a game in which it trailed 42-6 at one point.

Kiffin was asked afterward about being viewed as Auburn's top target and said he was excited about the future at Ole Miss.

"So I don't know about all that stuff out there, No. 1 [candidate] stuff," Kiffin told reporters after the Arkansas loss. "Maybe if they watched the first half, I wouldn't be No. 1 anymore."

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Sorry but couldn't this have just been posted in the 5-6 other Lane Kiffin threads? Do we really need a new thread every single day for Kiffin?

Well, he does mention Freeze as being a front runner, or at the forefront too for what it's worth.

No offense, but from someone who is an innocent bystander -- I'm a sports reporter who lives in Texas, have been reading your board forever, just hardly ever post -- it really seems like some of you have your heart set on Kiffin and are unwilling to accept the possibility that he isn't coming. And when someone (in this case, Low) reports something you don't like, you're shooting the messenger. In this case, it's kind of with soft arrows (can't this just go in one of the other threads, etc), but it's shooting the messenger, nonetheless.

I think you should come to terms with the possibility that it's barely possible that Kiffin isn't coming. It's a strong possibility that he IS in fact going to accept the job. But you should be prepared for the outside chance that he's not, and that your coach could be Freeze, which is what my sources are saying, or maybe even another candidate that hasn't really been talked that much about. It is, after all, possible that Kiffin accepts the deal from the Rebels that is already on the table.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, autiger88 said:

Freeze isn't a candidate or atleast not on our list at moment according to my sources so there you go on that one... 😒

That might be correct, but I have a connection at ESPN (not Chris Low), one of their college writers, who believes Freeze IS a candidate at Auburn. You may be more in-the-know than my ESPN connection. I don't mind name-dropping; it's Dave Wilson. I don't think he would mind me telling that here. They do believe it's Kiffin and Freeze and pretty much a big chasm after that.

4 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

No offense, but from someone who is an innocent bystander -- I'm a sports reporter who lives in Texas, have been reading your board forever, just hardly ever post -- it really seems like some of you have your heart set on Kiffin and are unwilling to accept the possibility that he isn't coming. And when someone (in this case, Low) reports something you don't like, you're shooting the messenger. In this case, it's kind of with soft arrows (can't this just go in one of the other threads, etc), but it's shooting the messenger, nonetheless.

I think you should come to terms with the possibility that it's barely possible that Kiffin isn't coming. It's a strong possibility that he IS in fact going to accept the job. But you should be prepared for the outside chance that he's not, and that your coach could be Freeze, which is what my sources are saying, or maybe even another candidate that hasn't really been talked that much about. It is, after all, possible that Kiffin accepts the deal from the Rebels that is already on the table.

Just curious, is what you just did how sports reporting is done these days?? 

2 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Just curious, is what you just did how sports reporting is done these days?? 

In all honesty, I've just been reading here, and been intrigued by what's been said. I know what I'm hearing, and I am hearing that Kiffin is on the fence. I'm also hearing that Kiffin has his formal offer from Ole Miss on the table and will be presented a formal offer from Auburn. I'm also hearing he's Auburn's first choice. I just normally am here observing, and sometimes I tire of observing. That's all. I'm simply saying Auburn has a good chance to land Kiffin, from what I'm hearing, but you -- as longtime Auburn fans -- should know above all else the dangers of getting your hopes up.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

So what are you hearing about Jimbo? Are the boosters pooling their money? What's the word in Texas? 

• Like 1

OK, I did not post to stir things up. I have said you guys may very well have Kiffin as your next coach. This is precisely what I was saying: some of you do not want to hear it, but he may stay at Ole Miss, and you need to be ready to accept that. Hitting thumbs down on my comments isn't going to change it. He also may leave Oxford and take the job. I literally am hearing he is wrestling with it. I've been wrong before.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Mitchie said:

OK, I did not post to stir things up. I have said you guys may very well have Kiffin as your next coach. This is precisely what I was saying: some of you do not want to hear it, but he may stay at Ole Miss, and you need to be ready to accept that. Hitting thumbs down on my comments isn't going to change it. He also may leave Oxford and take the job. I literally am hearing he is wrestling with it. I've been wrong before.

What I really want to know is are you hearing anything ? 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

So what are you hearing about Jimbo? Are the boosters pooling their money? What's the word in Texas? 

That Jimbo is safe for a year but may have to give some of his assistants the boot -- including former AU standout Dameyune Craig. That's what I'm hearing. I covered A&M-Ole Miss a few weeks ago. Obviously things have gotten some worse since then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Well, technically, he hasn't. 

Exactly: technically, he hasn't - as of 11/22/22 @ 10:53 pm EST

• Like 1

Just now, Mitchie said:

That Jimbo is safe for a year but may have to give some of his assistants the boot -- including former AU standout Dameyune Craig. That's what I'm hearing. I covered A&M-Ole Miss a few weeks ago. Obviously things have gotten some worse since then.

Makes since with the buyout he's got. I'm surprised at this season and then I'm not surprised. Jimbo seems to leave a stench wherever he's been but I didn't think it would be this bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

What I really want to know is are you hearing anything ? 

I'm removed from your situation. What I've heard is that Kiffin has the Ole Miss offer and is anticipating an offer from Auburn, as their first choice, that will top the Ole Miss offer. Like you've said here, the Auburn NIL war chest is pretty substantial. He would be hard-pressed to say no. But he likes Oxford and has stability there. You've noticed he's been careful how he's wording his media appearances, and that he told his team tonight that he "hasn't accepted" any other jobs. That's present-tense. I'm also familiar with the WCBI reporter. Started my career in Columbus, Mississippi at the Commercial Dispatch in Columbus. He's a bit of a goof. But he is good friends with your new AD. Where there's smoke, there may be fire.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

In all honesty, I've just been reading here, and been intrigued by what's been said. I know what I'm hearing, and I am hearing that Kiffin is on the fence. I'm also hearing that Kiffin has his formal offer from Ole Miss on the table and will be presented a formal offer from Auburn. I'm also hearing he's Auburn's first choice. I just normally am here observing, and sometimes I tire of observing. That's all. I'm simply saying Auburn has a good chance to land Kiffin, from what I'm hearing, but you -- as longtime Auburn fans -- should know above all else the dangers of getting your hopes up.

Thanks!!  Can’t speak for everyone on here, but I’m not getting my hopes up. Now I do believe we will get our guy. If we dont already have him. So if you’re hearing Kiffin is our first choice. Then maybe we should be getting our hopes up?!?!  So ya, until i get a confirmed report. Scratch that, until i get an announcement from our AD. All of these other reports that don’t have any substance in them will keep getting “soft arrows” thrown at them. 

• Like 1

I recall Tuberville's exist from Ole Miss on October 2 of 1999. I believe he held a presser on October 1 saying how he was pleased to be staying at Ole Miss for a very long time. #WDE

• Like 1

Just now, Mitchie said:

I'm removed from your situation. What I've heard is that Kiffin has the Ole Miss offer and is anticipating an offer from Auburn, as their first choice, that will top the Ole Miss offer. Like you've said here, the Auburn NIL war chest is pretty substantial. He would be hard-pressed to say no. But he likes Oxford and has stability there. You've noticed he's been careful how he's wording his media appearances, and that he told his team tonight that he "hasn't accepted" any other jobs. That's present-tense. I'm also familiar with the WCBI reporter. Started my career in Columbus, Mississippi at the Commercial Dispatch in Columbus. He's a bit of a goof. But he is good friends with your new AD. Where there's smoke, there may be fire.

I wasn’t being serious. You are repeating several items that has been said here already. It’s not over till it’s over. I am not stressing over it. 

• Like 3

Just now, DAG said:

I wasn’t being serious. You are repeating several items that has been said here already. It’s not over till it’s over. I am not stressing over it. 

Simply saying that you guys are on the right track. Only noting that the SEC reporters I know that are truly covering the story are telling me that Kiffin is really on the fence and is weighing his options. I just know that there has been some disappointment here before. And I hate to see that. There are some good coaches that have been mentioned here. Kiffin is likely to take this job, but if he doesn't, it is FAR from the end of the world.

9 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

You’re not telling any of us anything we don’t already know, while claiming to have insider knowledge and insight that is unique and special. And then leaving yourself a back door to say “it very well could happen”. That and that alone is why you’re getting thumbs down. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

Simply saying that you guys are on the right track. Only noting that the SEC reporters I know that are truly covering the story are telling me that Kiffin is really on the fence and is weighing his options. I just know that there has been some disappointment here before. And I hate to see that. There are some good coaches that have been mentioned here. Kiffin is likely to take this job, but if he doesn't, it is FAR from the end of the world.

Nobody knows but Kiffin. There is no point in trying to make assumptions with his actions. What I do know is he still hasn’t signed his extension and that’s quite the shot at Ole Miss IMO. If we get him cool. If we don’t cool. Ole Mis will just be growing through this most years. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Just now, AUINSY said:

You’re not telling any of us anything we don’t already know, while claiming to have insider knowledge and insight that is unique and special. And then leaving yourself a back door to say “it very well could happen”. That and that alone is why you’re getting thumbs down. 

Not claiming to have any insider knowledge. Telling you straight out that I am a reporter in Texas. My friends at ESPN believe that Kiffin is Auburn's first choice and Freeze is their second. Your insiders say Freeze is not a candidate. I don't have insider knowledge. I'm telling you what I'm hearing. Period. Telling you that my guys at ESPN are telling ME that Kiffin is literally on the fence and may very well stay at Ole Miss. NEVER said I had insider knowledge. Not once. I'm telling you not to get your hopes up like some of you did before Harsin was hired. I think it will probably be Kiffin as your new head coach.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mitchie said:

Not claiming to have any insider knowledge…My friends at ESPN believe…I don't have insider knowledge...Telling you that my guys at ESPN are telling ME that Kiffin is literally on the fence...NEVER said I had insider knowledge.

I’m an engineer in Birmingham, and I can tell you all of the points I included above from your post are contradictory. 

• Haha 2