Auburn's best ranked recruiting class ever

jumbo

Sorry Jumbo but I don't have any rankings on our recruting classes. I do recall our 1995 class being rated very high but very few really panned out. Five became All-SEC and only 1 All American from the bunch.

The 1991 class was considered average at best on signing day but ended up being one of our most productive down the road. 10 All-SEC and 4 All-Americans.

Sorry Jumbo but I don't have any rankings on our recruting classes. I do recall our 1995 class being rated very high but very few really panned out. Five became All-SEC and only 1 All American from the bunch.

The 1991 class was considered average at best on signing day but ended up being one of our most productive down the road. 10 All-SEC and 4 All-Americans.

214920[/snapback]

This is why I don't get stressed over who we sign. I don't even follow the whole process. If a kid grows up a UAT fan or an Auburn fan, that is pretty much where he is going. Two names always come back to me about recruiting:

Ken Hobby - never came through and was declared "All-World" out of high school

Gerald Robinson- not highly recruited; won all kind of awards and played in the NFL

Two names always come back to me about recruiting:

Gerald Robinson- not highly recruited; won all kind of awards and played in the NFL

214941[/snapback]

For me it's Lectron Williams from Mobile--superman "Mr. Football" running back out of high school, average college results...although in fairness, didn't he have injury problems in college that pretty much took the steam out of his career?

Two names always come back to me about recruiting:

214941[/snapback]

For me it's Lectron Williams from Mobile--superman "Mr. Football" running back out of high school, average college results...although in fairness, didn't he have injury problems in college that pretty much to the steam out of his career?

214945[/snapback]

Yes, if I remember correctly he had problems with both knees. He scored against Bammer in '89, but for the life of me I don't remember him doing anything at all after that.

It was very unfortnate that Lectron didn't pan out. He had Tim Tebow hype around him coming out of high school.

I also remember that year Bo came in, we also had a signee named Alan Evans who had the same type of buzz around him. No one was talking about Bo.

I saw Lectron play before he got hurt. Loads of potential, very shifty and quick. Carnell reminded me of Lectron, however knee injuries back then were pretty much fatal. Dye also had another RB from florida who showed much promise but had a neck injury. Was highly recruited also.

the bust i remember most is Demontray Carter... I officiated several of his games here in pensacola, and that kid was incredible to watch... unfortnately, it appeared he didn't have much between his ears.... :( best game he had they played Gonzalez TATE high school..and he ran, get this: 7 carries, 462 yards, and 6 touchdowns...yes that is right...7 carries...

the bust i remember most is Demontray Carter... I officiated several of his games here  in pensacola, and that kid was incredible to watch...  unfortnately, it appeared he didn't have much between his ears.... :(   best game he had they played Gonzalez TATE high school..and he ran, get this: 7 carries, 462 yards, and 6 touchdowns...yes that is right...7 carries...

214984[/snapback]

Wow that's amazing. The kid couldn't even cut it at Troy though.

I would not call Darrel Williams a bust due to his leg injuries. Also, he had to share the backfield with Stacey Danley and James Joseph in 1989 and 1990. During the last 3 games of the 1989 season, Williams began to separate himself from the pack.

DW: 241yds-50-4tds ( 4.8 )

SD: 178yds-41-0td ( 4.3 )

JJ: 138yds-27-3tds ( 4.7 )

Lectron ran for 128 yards on 26 carries against UGA.

I recall that class we signed in 1991 and yes, that turned out to be a great group of kids. However, on paper, they looked just awful as a class. I believe that was due in large part to the ongoing NCAA investigations and the inevitable sanctions. It seemed like the NCAA took 2 years to complete their investigation and we missed out on numerous prospects because of the cloud hanging over the program.

I think there were also many skill position players that CTB signed who have flourished in the NFL but didn't have the type of college career they should have had in his system. Fred Beasley immediately comes to mind.

I saw Lectron play before he got hurt. Loads of potential, very shifty and quick. Carnell reminded me of Lectron, however knee injuries back then were pretty much fatal. Dye also had another RB from florida who showed much promise but had a neck injury. Was highly recruited also.

214956[/snapback]

I think it was Harry Mose. If I remember correctly, he scored the only TD in Auburn's 10-0 victory over bammer in 1987.

Wasn't Harry Mose the guy who got called down out of the stands to play in the second half of a game when a couple of running backs got hurt? I was at the game, but I was a little deep into the flask by the time this happened. As I remember, it was the first game of the year, and he was headed for a redshirt, so he didn't even dress out and was in the stands when the announcer paged him. He went down and dressed out and played in the second half.

Anyway, I think Mose was the guy.

Wasn't Harry Mose the guy who got called down out of the stands to play in the second half of a game when a couple of running backs got hurt? I was at the game, but I was a little deep into the flask by the time this happened. As I remember, it was the first game of the year, and he was headed for a redshirt, so he didn't even dress out and was in the stands when the announcer paged him. He went down and dressed out and played in the second half.

Anyway, I think Mose was the guy.

215110[/snapback]

No it was Otis Mounds.

i was that game....no, it wasn't harry mose that was called out of the stands, it was otis mounds.....he was from dillard high school and had a drug history and dye gave him a chance and he did well with that chance

i was that game....no, it wasn't harry mose that was called out of the stands, it was otis mounds.....he was from dillard high school and had a drug history and dye gave him a chance and he did well with that chance

215115[/snapback]

I was there too. It was Cal State Fullerton if I remember correctly. Otis was the first in a long line of Dilliard guys to come to Auburn. I think everyone was so impressed with Dye giving Otis a chance that there has been a loyalty there ever since.

Rivals "star" ratings since 2002

2002 3.19

2003 3.19

2004 2.48 *

2005 3.14

2006 3.5 (so far)

* Did someone ask for proof that a certain puppeteer has damaged AU? *grin* Oh, shucks, I forgot, he wasn't even on the plane! Why would anyone think he even knew about it? My bad. *grin*

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

the bust i remember most is Demontray Carter... I officiated several of his games here  in pensacola, and that kid was incredible to watch...  unfortnately, it appeared he didn't have much between his ears.... :(   best game he had they played Gonzalez TATE high school..and he ran, get this: 7 carries, 462 yards, and 6 touchdowns...yes that is right...7 carries...

214984[/snapback]

I wouldn't use a game against Tate as a marker. Tate sucks in football.

Tate class of 94.

214984[/snapback]

Tate class of 94.

215258[/snapback]

well, maybe so, but those are still huge numbers no matter who they are against....

Tate hasn't aways sucked in football...

you still live in the area??

214984[/snapback]

Tate class of 94.

215258[/snapback]

So, maybe on the one carry that didn't result in a TD, he just tripped over a shoelace?

214984[/snapback]

Tate class of 94.

215258[/snapback]

So, maybe on the one carry that didn't result in a TD, he just tripped over a shoelace?

215305[/snapback]

Most likely!

214984[/snapback]

Tate class of 94.

215258[/snapback]

well, maybe so, but those are still huge numbers no matter who they are against....

Tate hasn't aways sucked in football...

you still live in the area??

215279[/snapback]

True they haven't always sucked, and I'm not saying anything against Carter. This past year I don't think they won one game. When I was there they were horrible as well.

After :au: I lived elswhere until about 6 months ago. I just moved back with my wife and baby (6 month old). We live in Cantonment off of 297a.

ole miss....opening game of the 1990 season...i think

215121[/snapback]

:au: played :om: in Jackson that year. I went to that game and have never been to a game more humid. There were elderly people passing out from the heat.

Archived