Hunter Morris

Anybody know if Hunter began classes today at AU?

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i....xml&coll=1

Clock ticking for Morris

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

By MIKE EASTERLING

Times Sports Staff mike.easterling@htimes.com

If not signed today [Wednesday], Red Sox draftee will start classes at Auburn

Unless the Boston Red Sox come calling with an 11th-hour deal that knocks the orange and blue socks off, Hunter Morris the former Grissom baseball standout will soon become an Auburn Tiger.

Morris and the Red Sox, who took the tall power hitter in the second round of the latest major league draft, have apparently been far apart in negotiations since the June selection.

The deadline for teams to sign draft selections is today. If Morris doesn't sign, he begins classes at Auburn on Thursday. Once he begins classes, he won't be eligible again for the draft until after his junior season.

"Right now, Hunter's plan is to go to Auburn,'' said his father, Jeff Morris. "He's in Auburn, got his books and he's ready to start class. And he fully expects to do that.''

Jeff said the family expects Boston to call today and make another effort to sign Hunter, a five-time Super All-Metro Player of the Year who set the state record for walks this past season and holds most Grissom offensive records.

But if the current trend holds true - Jeff said the players taken by Boston before and after Hunter signed for less than they originally asked for - he doesn't think a deal can get done.

"He made a commitment to Auburn and said then there was a certain dollar amount (he would sign for) and if it wasn't there he was going to school,'' the father said. "He said he made that commitment and he wouldn't back down from that commitment.''

Jeff said his son's goal was not to "come out in three years and get more money. That's not important.''

Instead, he said, Hunter all along was comfortable with playing at Auburn unless the money lured him into professional ball out of high school in hopes of getting stronger and taking his game to a higher level.

"What's important to him is to get to the major leagues and what he can do to get there. He's comfortable at Auburn. He's decided in his mind it will be best to go to school.''

Hunter has lined up a spot to play in the Cape Cod League next summer if he doesn't sign and has already talked to USA Baseball about playing for the national team the following summer. He played for the junior team last year.

But what if Boston calls today or tonight with an offer that meets Hunter's minimum?

"I asked him that,'' Jeff said, laughing. "He said, 'I don't know.'

But he has told Auburn that he's prepared to be there.''

another big thing was getting this guy. I went to all 3 games that weekend and this guy was by far the standout. Hes numbers with the bat speak for theirself, but I think I remember him making a few nice defensive plays. This will probably help to sure up a spot that was a major weakness for us last year. It will be interesting to see how the competition of Morris and Hall goes.

Joining the freshmen was junior Matt Hall, who joins the Tigers from Scottsdale, Ariz., after spending his first two years as an infielder at Arizona State. He played in 52 games last season and hit .313 for the College World Series team. In three games against the Tigers in Auburn last February he went 8-for-11 (.727) with two doubles, four RBI and three runs scored.

Hunter Morris is probably the best all around high school players I've seen in at least the past 10 years. I watched him play my alma mater twice this past season and twice hit homers in the closing innings to take the lead. He's a great hitter and seems to always show up with the game on the line. Not to mention he's not a bad fielder as well.

Archived