Band playing during play

aumd03

Does anyone know if the NCAA has a rule regarding the band playing just prior to and during the play? I've noticed our band stops and most schools I've seen do, however I noticed that the WVU band played through many of the snaps, more when Auburn was on offense. I didn't know if this was just a courtesy or if there is a rule regarding it.

I noticed this too and was getting upset during the WVU game, especially sitting right next to them. I believe it is against the rules. I figured it was, especially since the stadium can't play artificial noise, so I asked a buddy, whose cousin was a big deal in the AU band, so I believe him. He said it's against the rules. It would've been neat to have our staff or AD do something.

I was @ FSU's home loss to S. FL last Sat and during most of the second half the FSU band STARTED playing the tomahawk chop when the USF offense broke their huddle.

My understanding while I was in the band (through 2004 season) is that NCAA rule is to stop playing at the snap, and SEC rule is to stop at break of huddle.

I thought it was a 'delay of game' penalty for artificial noisemakers. Where's WarTiger (or resident referee) when you need him? Someone flash the "bat-signal."

This is all I can find at the moment. This isn't covered in the rule book, its usually covered in a supplemental hand book distributed to AD's and coaches.

Bands, or any component thereof, are allowed to play

during time-outs, halftime, and before and after the competition. Bands are not allowed to

play during the game, once the ball is spotted and the umpire backs away from the ball.

Host institutions must make space available for the visiting team band, upon request.

I believe the "no bands during the play" rule only applies to the SEC.

I say that because every week you'll hear school's bands during the play. But not in the SEC.

It is an SEC Rule, but most bands adhere to it, especially SEC bands in all football games. WVU didn't pay attention to it at all. This is common band courtesy but they chose to keep on playing. Only thing it did was make us play better. We had the best plays while thier band rudely played when we snapped the ball.

It is an SEC Rule, but most bands adhere to it, especially SEC bands in all football games. WVU didn't pay attention to it at all. This is common band courtesy but they chose to keep on playing. Only thing it did was make us play better. We had the best plays while thier band rudely played when we snapped the ball.

Didn't work out too well for the FSU band either. :)

What I don't understand is if they have these artificial noisemaker rules in the SEC, why do they allow those awful cowbells at Miss St.?

I get furious when the opponents' bands play DURING A PLAY. I am for warning them for 1st offense and then ejecting the entire band on a second offense. My alternative suggestion would be for our band to line up behind the opponents bench and play at all times except when we are running a play.

Regarding Miss. St. cowbells..for years I have dreamed of buying hundreds of air horns and distributing them to AU fans prior to game at Starkville. The instructions would be as follows...

Do not blow the horn unless the following conditions are met:

1. An MSU fan makes noise with an artificial noisemaker which is banned according to SEC rules (Cowbell).

2. You politely inform that fan that the cowbell is in violation of SEC rules and to please refrain from making noise with it.

3. The MSU fan makes noise with said cowbell after being informed that it is violation.

4. At that point bring out the air horn AND BLAST THE HELL OUT OF IT AS CLOSE TO THE MSU A-HOLE'S EAR AS POSSIBLE.

5. At that point all fans with air horns use them as much as possible until they are confiscated.

How's that idea?

:cheer::cheer::cheer: AIR HORNS GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived