La'el Collins

Rabern57

Collins is a better prospect than Westerman. Let's not get carried away here. With that being said, Westerman is still one of the best in the nation and will be a great lineman at the college level.

It was my belief that Auburn's heavy pursuit of Collins ended when Greg committed to Auburn and until I get different information I'll stick to that. Robinson, Dismukes, O'Reilly, and likely Westerman is one hell of an OL class. Add that to last year's haul and we're going to be set for quite a few years to come.

Agree, not that I'd mind Collins also joining the fold. That would be crazy good. War Eagle!

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I don't quite understand why everyone just went from confident when ST said we had a great chance with him to ahhh.. I didn't want him anyways. That's supposed to be something we pride ourselves on is for not going back on our word and flipping on prospects. C'mon guys, Collins is the number 2 player in the nation, according to Rivals, for a reason, be realistic guys. I want him, and until Signing Day or until something else definite occurs, I believe we still have a viable shot at him. :wedance:

IMO, Collins and Westerman are both top notch O-line prospects. I would like for AU to sign them both. I really couldn't tell you which one is a better or worse prospect though. IMO though, if we can't get the both then I'd be happy with one or the other.

IMO, Collins and Westerman are both top notch O-line prospects. I would like for AU to sign them both. I really couldn't tell you which one is a better or worse prospect though. IMO though, if we can't get the both then I'd be happy with one or the other.

Guys, don't discount the fact that Greg Robinson is already committed.  The word is good for Westerman.  They are ranked 2 and 3 on rivals OT list only behind Collins.  That in itself is more than huge but if we could somehow sway Collins we would have the 1, 2 and 3 OTs in the class.  ;D

Guys, don't discount the fact that Greg Robinson is already committed.  The word is good for Westerman.  They are ranked 2 and 3 on rivals OT list only behind Collins.  That in itself is more than huge but if we could somehow sway Collins we would have the 1, 2 and 3 OTs in the class.  ;D

I wasn't/will not discredit Greg Robinson's commitment. I think it is huge that AU got him. I'm simply debating the Westerman/Collins thought process. They both seems to be very good and if we can't get both, I'd love for AU to get either. I don't play the he's not going to AU so <insert name here> is better card.

1,3 and 4 you mean.  2 is Kouandjio, who impresses me the most, in part by just being bigger than the rest.  But apparently he is interested as well.  Impressive that we have the attention of the top 4 tackles in the country, but again, we do offer chances to play early (but also have Coleman, Mack, Christian, and others waiting in the wings).

If our coaches want Billy Bob from the movie Varsity Blues, I trust them and thats who I want. Stars and rankings are good but I really believe in our coaches judgement. :believe:

Just my opinion...

LT- Cyrus or La'el

LG- Christian

C- Reese

RG- Greg

RT- Shon

Potentially the most highly rated OL in recent history?

Just my opinion...

LT- Cyrus or La'el

LG- Christian

C- Reese

RG- Greg

RT- Shon

that's one heck of a line. And the back-ups like Eric Mac and the others. Wow.

Just my opinion...

LT- Cyrus or La'el

LG- Christian

C- Reese

RG- Greg

RT- Shon

HELLO!!!  Woah, I'm feeling a little light-headed.  I think I'm gonna sit down for a minute...WOW!  Go get 'em fellas and War Eagle!!!

Exactly...the depth of talent on the O-Line would be astounding...and I'll tell you why this is important...and this might shock some...

As good as we are offensively Coach Malzahn is not satisfied with the speed we play at. He wants to play faster. But you can only play as fast as your big boys will let you. With 2 deep quality, that allows your big guys to stay fresh.

Exactly...the depth of talent on the O-Line would be astounding...and I'll tell you why this is important...and this might shock some...

As good as we are offensively Coach Malzahn is not satisfied with the speed we play at. He wants to play faster. But you can only play as fast as your big boys will let you. With 2 deep quality, that allows your big guys to stay fresh.

That's interesting to note. And with Kiehl coming in, who flat out knows his system, that will only help, I'd imagine.

However, I wonder to what extent, the pace that the officials allow the game to be played will mitigate Malzahn's intentions to speed things up and realize his desired level of play speed? And also D depth will play a part too.

Correct on all counts Sid.

We were in the QB meeting Saturday and one thing Coach admonished Cam about was the offense not sprinting down the field to get lined up after the long completion to Darvin in the SEC Championship game. If the guys are lined up and ready to go though it pushes the officials whether they realize it or not.

To your other point defensive depth is just as critical. The defensesive players have to commit to being in tremendous shape to maintain a parallel relationship to the offense.

Coach Yox is well aware of this, and is training the defensive players accordingly.

Just my opinion...

LT- Cyrus or La'el

LG- Christian

C- Reese

RG- Greg

RT- Shon

You don't even mention Thomas. Wow is all I'll say if this comes together.

Thomas is a great player and would be right in the mix for sure. I was just projecting a little to show the potential this group could have in relation to rankings.

Thomas is very good.

That stuff about Yox pushing the defense into shape is definitely true.  I actually had a weight-training class with big Nick last summer (I'm still not entirely sure why he was also in the non-varsity weight training class with a bunch of us skinny fat-boys) but there was hardly a day where he didn't come in without something to say about Yox working them half to death.

I'm think I'd be ok with that...how 'bout you? :)

Mehhh.  I guess it would do.  

What are kidding me??  That would be AUsome if it comes together.  :thumbsup:  

The best OLine class anywhere, anytime.

Correct on all counts Sid.

We were in the QB meeting Saturday and one thing Coach admonished Cam about was the offense not sprinting down the field to get lined up after the long completion to Darvin in the SEC Championship game. If the guys are lined up and ready to go though it pushes the officials whether they realize it or not.

To your other point defensive depth is just as critical. The defensesive players have to commit to being in tremendous shape to maintain a parallel relationship to the offense.

Coach Yox is well aware of this, and is training the defensive players accordingly.

AUQBDad, I am ecstatic to have your son coming to AU.  When I first read about him and his abilities I knew he would be DEVASTATING to our opponents as qb.

When I played sports in college our coaches demanded that we be running to our next position which would have a major psychological impact on the opponent, because they would drag their feet, look up and be surprised to see us ready to go.

War Eagle, and I'm excited to see your son in O & B.

Thomas is a great player and would be right in the mix for sure. I was just projecting a little to show the potential this group could have in relation to rankings.

Thomas is very good.

Yeah I didn't take as a slight on Thomas, but rather how awesome this OL might be, since his name wasn't even shown. War Eagle!

Just my opinion...

LT- Cyrus or La'el

LG- Christian

C- Reese

RG- Greg

RT- Shon

I had written La'el off after this recent interview. I never have thought to really have a shot at Cyrus. I'm not sure what to make of this post. I think if we land either one of those guys consider me blown away. That would be an insane line btw. Even more so if you take into account we have some pretty good guys from last year's class.

Archived