59818 at Stanford

24768 at Washington State

59000 vs. UCLA

88726 (announced) at USC

59000 vs. Washington

65963 at Cal

59000 vs. AZ

46000 at Oregon State

Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but other than at a stumbling, bumbling Tennessee and against a USC team that went 3-3 over its last six and lost to Notre Dame, Oregon hasn't played under the kind of pressure SEC teams do. 

Their website brags non-stop about the 59,000 fans they draw.  Try playing in Tuscaloosa with twice that many actively hating you. 

What do you call a crowd of 59,000 in the SEC?  Disappointing attendance at a spring game.

Again, maybe it means nothing but the attendance (73000) in Glendale will be the third largest crowd the Ducks have seen.  It will be the third smallest crowd Auburn's seen.  (KY, MSU, Ole Miss). 

And I'm unable to shake the fact that Massoli was a superstar at Oregon but when he got to the SEC he looked like a slower, less accurate version of Daniel Cobb.

Probably means nothing.

Attendance for Oregon games in 2010

59000 vs. New Mexico

102035 at Tennessee

58035 vs. Portland

60326 at ASU

59818 at Stanford

24768 at Washington State

59000 vs. UCLA

88726 (announced) at USC

59000 vs. Washington

65963 at Cal

59000 vs. AZ

46000 at Oregon State

Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but other than at a stumbling, bumbling Tennessee and against a USC team that went 3-3 over its last six and lost to Notre Dame, Oregon hasn't played under the kind of pressure SEC teams do. 

Their website brags non-stop about the 59,000 fans they draw.  Try playing in Tuscaloosa with twice that many actively hating you. 

What do you call a crowd of 59,000 in the SEC?  Disappointing attendance at a spring game.

Again, maybe it means nothing but the attendance (73000) in Glendale will be the third largest crowd the Ducks have seen.   It will be the third smallest crowd Auburn's seen.  (KY, MSU, Ole Miss). 

And I'm unable to shake the fact that Massoli was a superstar at Oregon but when he got to the SEC he looked like a slower, less accurate version of Daniel Cobb.

Probably means nothing.

Vanderbilt ...  :laugh:

Autzen Stadium has a reputation for being very loud despite its relatively small capacity. It has more to do with the way it's built to trap the noise.

Nice Observation.  I only hope AU travels like it did to Atlanta.  I heard they said it was 2 to 1 in the Dome on TV but it looked a lot more like 3 to 1 to me.  That was before the 4th quarter too.  

The slope of Autzen stadium is parabolic rather than straight. That causes all noise in the stands to be directed towards the field. Very crafty.

The slope of Autzen stadium is parabolic rather than straight. That causes all noise in the stands to be directed towards the field. Very crafty.

They say that about SC, too.

I've been on the ground at Cocky Field (whatever it's called), JHS, BDS, Neyland and Tiger.  I don't care what anybody says or what they claim, there is absolutely no comparison between a 50,000 seat stadium and a 90,000 seat stadium at field level, regardless of how it's shaped.  A crowd of 90,000 has the ability to almost make the earth shake. It scrambles your insides.  No crowd of 50,000 could ever accomplish that, even if they all had megaphones. 

The one caveat I'll grant is if there is an overhang or covering.  Because of the way the old Dallas Cowboy's field was covered, sound there bounced and rolled and was magnified.  It was like hearing two different crowds, one on a time delay and transmitted through a metallic, broken speaker.  Fifteen minutes on the floor there and I had a dizzying headache.  Not the case at the GA Dome.  Sound there sort of evaporates into the ceiling and never comes back down.  It's one of the few fields where you can stand on the sidelines and carry on a normal conversation at almost regular tone even when the crowd is at its peak.

Regardless, the point I was making here wasn't so much about the size of the crowds, but the stage on which the Ducks have played.  They haven't had to step up against a good team on a major stage.  Auburn has twice in the last two weeks. 

Noise does not affect us much it seems,  neither do hostile numbers (See BDS)  JHS got a tad loud a time or 2 this year, but not when we were on offense. So like there , Autzen was probaly not so lound when they ran their offense. I think it's more of a comfort factor that crowd or noise. We showed in the last 2 games, our coaches are great at preparing for unfamiliar surroundings.

I've been on the ground at Cocky Field (whatever it's called), JHS, BDS, Neyland and Tiger.  I don't care what anybody says or what they claim, there is absolutely no comparison between a 50,000 seat stadium and a 90,000 seat stadium at field level, regardless of how it's shaped.   A crowd of 90,000 has the ability to almost make the earth shake. It scrambles your insides.  No crowd of 50,000 could ever accomplish that, even if they all had megaphones. 

The one caveat I'll grant is if there is an overhang or covering.  Because of the way the old Dallas Cowboy's field was covered, sound there bounced and rolled and was magnified.  It was like hearing two different crowds, one on a time delay and transmitted through a metallic, broken speaker.  Fifteen minutes on the floor there and I had a dizzying headache.  Not the case at the GA Dome.  Sound there sort of evaporates into the ceiling and never comes back down.  It's one of the few fields where you can stand on the sidelines and carry on a normal conversation at almost regular tone even when the crowd is at its peak.

Regardless, the point I was making here wasn't so much about the size of the crowds, but the stage on which the Ducks have played.   They haven't had to step up against a good team on a major stage.  Auburn has twice in the last two weeks. 

The way Autzen stadium is built it confines the noise.  The noise levels have been recorded at 127 decibles there.

I've been on the ground at Cocky Field (whatever it's called), JHS, BDS, Neyland and Tiger.  I don't care what anybody says or what they claim, there is absolutely no comparison between a 50,000 seat stadium and a 90,000 seat stadium at field level, regardless of how it's shaped.   A crowd of 90,000 has the ability to almost make the earth shake. It scrambles your insides.  No crowd of 50,000 could ever accomplish that, even if they all had megaphones. 

Regardless, the point I was making here wasn't so much about the size of the crowds, but the stage on which the Ducks have played.   They haven't had to step up against a good team on a major stage.  Auburn has twice in the last two weeks. 

Williams-Brice Stadium

I understand this comment.  I dont think you can negate this point with the fact that Oregon's home stadium gets loud.  it is their home stadium.  But yes, it is amazing how stadium design can effect the accoustics.  You talk about the Georgia Dome not getting loud, that is because of the materials used.  material is just as important if not more important as the shape of the stadium.  Some materials absorb sound, some reflect sound.  Bama's stadium, by design (because the extra upper decks) should be louder than JH.  Of course it is not because there is a different atmosphere there.  But the design of BD is really about the same as JH except for the extra seats.  Both stadiums were designed by the same firm.

I agree Galen.  AU came back from a 24 point defecit in arguably one of the toughest stadiums to play in for the opposing team.  Especially, for their arch rival.  The following week the SEC championship.  All while ranked 1 or 2 in the country.  The AU team has experienced pressure and crowd noise and delt with it well.  CGC can draw on that before the BCSNCG to tell the "boys"  you've been there done that. 

The way Autzen stadium is built it confines the noise.  The noise levels have been recorded at 127 decibles there.

Boring.

So when people can't compare size now, they compare noise? 87,000 will be louder everytime than 59,000. The sideline is about 9 feet away from the first row of seats. I don't think anyone is as impressed by Oregon as Oregon is. It was nice of Disney to let them borrow a mascot, however.

Neither team is going to be intimidated by the scene at game-time.  The run-up to the game, maybe -- can't predict that.  But Oregon is big-time.

Hate to say it, but if our guys see their cheerleaders, they may develop an inferiority complex way before game-time.  :-X

Neither team is going to be intimidated by the scene at game-time.  The run-up to the game, maybe -- can't predict that.  But Oregon is big-time.

Hate to say it, but if our guys see their cheerleaders, they may develop an inferiority complex way before game-time.   :-X

http://cheer.uoregon.edu/squad.html

Wow.  :D

Hate to say it, but if our guys see their cheerleaders, they may develop an inferiority complex way before game-time.   :-X

http://cheer.uoregon.edu/squad.html

Wow.  :D

I was wondering why Clorox was so expensive in the Pacific NW....

:wareagle:

Archived