Auburn vs LSU pitching matchups

In an interesting twist Auburn will pitch Zach Blatt on Friday night.  Blatt hasn't started a game all year, and I don't believe he's ever started a game at Auburn (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  He looked great last Friday night against Kentucky in relief pitching 5 1/3 innings with 83 pitches so he can be stretched out.

I like the move because of the fact that Coach P is willing to make any change and not stuck in a rotation when guys have proven to be ineffective, but I don't like the move in the sense that its taking a risk on a Friday night.  I think Friday night is where you throw your best guy.  I know we don't have an ace but Varandore has been our most consistent arm, so I was hoping he'd get a chance to start us off on the right foot.

Pitching matchups

Blatt 1-2 6.53 ERA vs Fr. Kurt McCune 5-1 1.80 ERA

Corey Luckie 1-1 5.20 ERA or John Luke Jacobs 1-2 2.74 ERA vs Fr Kevin Gausman 2-3 4.60 ERA

Derek Varandore vs Sr Ben Alsup 4-3 3.27 ERA

-I cant imagine Jacobs not getting the start Saturday, he looked great last week.

I understand not pitching Morris on Friday, I do not like the move of pitching Blatt as a starter. If I was coach, I would stick him back in the closer role. If Corey gets the start over John Luke, I'm going to be upset. Luckie pitched well, but John Luke has pitched better. And "technically" Sunday is still TBA, but we all know who's going to pitch there. And no, Blatt has never started a game at Auburn

Bad news.  Derek Varandore has stayed back in Auburn to rest his arm  :banghead:  This series got much tougher.  Have to figure Luckie and Jacobs will both get a start.  I think Irvin and Morris will play key roles in this series as possible long relievers if any of the starters struggle.

Putting out some good thoughts for Zach Blatt tonight. We need some good mojo going on...especially down in Creole territory. ;D

My goodness we need to win tonight. Come on Auburn!!

Archived