SEC Tournament Chances

It has been a crazy first half of SEC conference play for Auburn, but as it stands now if the season ended today, we would be in the SEC tournament.  Here is the current standings, and who each team has left to play, the last number is the wins I predict each team finishing with (I know its speculative, and very tough to do, who would have predicted we would be swept by MSU, but its a fun activity for me).  Also I only included the 8 teams I believe are still competing for a spot (USC, UF, Vandy are all in and UK is toast).

1 South Carolina 12-3

2 FLORIDA 11-4

2 Vanderbilt 11-4

4 Georgia 9-6 @ UT, Ark, @ Auburn, @ UK and Vandy.    8 wins  17-13

5 Arkansas 8-7 @ UK, @ UGA, UF, @ USC and Ole Miss.    8 wins 16-14

5 Alabama 8-7 @ UF, @ MSU, LSU, @ Auburn and USC      6 wins 14-16

5 Ole Miss 8-7 @ Auburn, @ UF, USC, Miss St and @ Ark  6 wins 14-16

8 Auburn 7-8 Ole Miss, @ USC, UGA, Bama and @ UT.    8 wins 15-15

9 MSU 6-9   USC, Bama, @ UT, @ Ole Miss, and LSU.        7 wins 13-17

10 Tennessee 4-11  UGA, @ Vandy, Miss ST, @ LSU and Auburn  4 wins 8-22

10 LSU 4-11   @ Vandy, UK, @ Bama, UT, and @ Miss ST      6 wins 10-20

12 Kentucky 2-13

I think our most likely scenario for 8 wins is 2 vs Ole Miss, 1 @ USC, 3-3 vs UGA and Bama, and 2 wins @ UT.  If things played out this way we would be one win away from winning the west.  I am much more concerned with geting to the SEC tourney.  At 15-15 I think we would be around a 6th or 7th seed in the SEC tourney.  If we win our next 2 series, Ill start thinking about the West.

The schedule is in our favor the rest of the way in my opinion.  We are one of 3 teams fighting for spots that have 3 home series (MSU and UT being the other 2).  We also only have 1 series left against the elite 3 (USC) while Arkansas, Alabama, and Ole Miss play both USC and UF.

For this weekend, I will be cheering against Miss State and Alabama and would really like to see Vandy sweep LSU to put them away.

Yeah, maybe opening the tourney with USCe or Vandy would be a good thing.  We could catch them before they get rolling. 

I have distantly followed AU baseball and really none of the other SEC teams.

LSU is 4-11?  Wow!  I bet that is going over real well in Baton Rouge.  What's up with that?

We are a much improved baseball team now than at the beginning of the month. I know we had that six game skid but I think we could finish better that .500 though it will be hard. I think that it would probably be good if we played USC or Vandy the first day also.

The West looks even more winnable after this weekend.  We are tied with Arkansas and Ole Miss at 9-9.  With both of them playing both South Carolina and Florida I have a hard time thinking either will get more than 15 wins.  I think 15 wins could win the division for us as long as we take 2 of 3 from Alabama.  It scares me saying this because if our pitching continues to struggle we could drop a couple of games and be out of the tournament all together.  I think State could get to 13 wins, so I think the difference between the #2 seed in the tourney and being out all together could be the difference between 13 and 15 wins.

Main thing I see is do not get swept @ SC.  Gotta at least take 1.  This is our toughest series the rest of the way.

The way we've been playing, we'll have a hard time winning 1 game in the tournament. We can't afford to be up and down all the time.

It's not looking good.

We would be in the tournament if the season ended today and we have 3 winnable series left.  I know its possible that we lay eggs against UGA and Bama, but I think most anybody would give us better than a 60% chance of making the tournament, don't know what you mean by not looking good.

It's not looking good.

We would be in the tournament if the season ended today and we have 3 winnable series left.  I know its possible that we lay eggs against UGA and Bama, but I think most anybody would give us better than a 60% chance of making the tournament, don't know what you mean by not looking good.

He meant any time we lose a series it is doom and gloom, but that's just what I gather from reading his recent posts...  Auburn4ever, you gotta lighten up man.  Other than the Miss. State series, we haven't lost a SEC series that we were projected to win. Does our pitching to crank it up? yes.  Are we having trouble bringing in RISP? yes.  Are we going to host a regional?  Only if we go on a miracle run plus win the SEC tourny.  Are we going to play in a regional?  Most likely.

If we are the 6th, 7th or 8th seeded team, does that mean we  get to play  Vandy, UF or USC (none of which are good news for us going far in the SEC tourney, assuming we get in) to start it off?

Yeah. but guys, look at who we've played, and who we have left. We play Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. Don't let the team hear this, but we're better than all those teams. Now look at who Arky and Ole Miss have to play. We stand a very good chance of not only making the tourney, but also WINNING THE WEST. South Carolina is a very, very good team. They have already won series against Vandy and Florida. Don't let this weekend get you down.

It's not looking good.

I think the poster is saying it's not looking good based on how we've played all year. We have no pitching and our hitting has been as far away from clutch as you can get. Sure, two of the the three times we've been swept this year, it's been to Top 5 teams. Not a whole lot of shame in that. But overall this year, the pitching has been awful and the offense has been way too inconsistent. We've also looked really bad in some midweek games this year, losing to Troy, Bethune-Cookman and USA. That's inexcusable. There are 3 league series left and we're 2 games over .500. It's do-or-die time. It's time for the guys to buckle it up and start playing some good baseball. We'll see what kind of fight they put with their backs against the wall, and I hope it's a good one.

War Eagle!

After what took place yesterday, I'm not 100% sure we can win 1 game in the SEC tournament if we even make it in. And right now, that's looking like a mighty big IF.

If we have to rely on this awful bullpen to close out games in these final two SEC series, our SEC tourney and NCAA tourney chances are slim to none.

3 winnable series left? not the way we've been playing.

Ok, seriously, have you paid attention to ANYTHING related to Auburn baseball OTHER THAN the score? I have. I've been to EVERY home game, and even a few away games, and I have sources inside the team. I know what I'm talking about. We've been playing MUCH BETTER now than we were earlier in the season. Did you see Varnadore pitch this weekend? How about Slade? Jacobs? Ortman? Wallen last night? Ray? All are pitching LOADS better than they were earlier. Even Morris has looked much improved tonight. I mean seriously, to even say ANYTHING like that right now is ridiculous. Look who we play next. An average SEC team in Bama and the worst team in the SEC in Tennessee. Hell, UT is down big against a D3 school!!!!! Now please, come up with some explanation as to how we can't or won't win there series. For once this ENTIRE season, we actually have a solid rotation for the weekend.

AUFISHERMAN

:bow: :bow:

I'm so tired of reading negativity about the baseball team.. It was going to be a rebuilding year in the first place and it looks as if we've already EXCEEDED what was expected of this baseball team. If you were to tell me going into the last 2 series against Alabama and UT that we'd have a chance to WIN THE WEST and that we'd won 3 of our last 4 series then I would've called you out of your mind.

Archived