Auburn vs Samford Game Thread

I just find it interesting that just a few short weeks ago many of the viewers on the site felt Morris was the answer to our weekend starter carousel. An outing like tonight I think proves he doesn't have it for this year.

Midweek games are always a challenge because you put everything out on the line on the weekends.  They are especially hard when a team has weak pitching like we do.  I have been thinking of how we might could switch things up.  I understand the reasoning behind playing the in state schools like Jax St, UAB, Samford, etc, and I would like to keep doing that, but I wonder if we could change up when we play them.  For example,

This year we had 4 weekends before conference play, I know we like to have 1 challenging weekend (Arizona St) to get us ready, but what if we spent the other 3 weekends playing 3 of the in state teams.  Maybe 2 of those series could even be 2 home Thurs and Fri, 2 away Sat and Sun (similar to what we've done with Fl St in the past).  I think this would make for more even matchups we could throw our best guys vs their best guys and not have to look past them as much.

Then we could fill the midweek games with teams that aren't traditionally as good (Alabama St, Bethune Cookman, Tennseee Tech, etc).  Not thinking it'll happen, but if we could keep the same rpi and ease up on the schedule by switching tough midweek games to early weekend games, Id be happy.

The way things are going, the team will look horrible against a team like Samford, but then will go and take 2 out of 3 at South Carolina.  I do have to give respect to Casey Dunn (Auburn guy, of course) and what he has done at Samford. 

First off, I'm a hardcore season football ticket holder (for many years) who went to my first basketball and my first baseball (AU/Samford) game this year.  I have never EVER looked at any post on this baseball site but decided to following my first game.  I know that it wasn't a nice game but I have some insight that I think some you may have also had.  I was down in the dumps by the 5th inning but a 5-6 year old son of a family to my right went to my oldest son and his wife and told my son, sitting in front of me, that he "knew that HIS Auburn team was going to score 20 homeruns the next inning".  Optimism to the maximum. Something that is very hard when sitting in a game with almost nothing to cheer about.  The more I thought of that young kids optimism, the more I realized I need it as much as him.

By the way, I enjoyed the game (not the score). I saw pitching and hitting BOTH need improvement.  Most of the Auburn players had better batting averages than the Samford team.  My family has decided to return for more games.  My wife and I sit through EVERY AU Football game even when behind by 3 or more touchdown and until the clock reads 0.00.  If I can sit through bad football years and games...you've got to love AU sports as a whole.  I'm also getting tired of all the trouble with going to Braves games (cost is going through the roof - especially the food/drinks).  I really liked that the food is the same no matter what sport you attend at AU.

If you are a good team, mid week games should not make any differents. Either we're not a good team or something is wrong with the coaching staff in getting these players ready to play.

Shoot, sitting with AU baseball fans made me realize that we really are "Family".  Different sport, same type conversations (pasing/receiving - hitting/bunting) and love for the same University.  The score was bad - the experience was GREAT!!!

We're not waiting for the UAT games.  We plan on participating at the 6 MAY, UGA game. 

Archived