Russell Wilson

auburn4ever

I say let the coaches make the decisions they deem as best for aubure and we as fans on the outside accept their decision and cheer if it works and let off some steam if it doesn't. While it is good to have your opinion about players the coaches ge paid quite well to make crucial decisions to put Auburn in a situation with personel that can help us win games and whaever that decision is they are choosing this because of the lack of confidence they have in who is there. Correct me if I am wrong but neither Trotter nor Mosley were recruited by this coaching staff? So maybe the are not up to the task of running this offense? Maybe they haven't shown the leadership abilities to give the coaches confidence that theey can win games? Maybe this is all a mute point and either Trotter or Mosley will start, or even Frasier? Who knows but the coaches ? I am enjoying everday as an Auburn Tiger and loving every moment, basking in the glow of being a fan of the National Champions of college football...War Eagle!

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure it matters what qb's we have. I believe Frazier has the ability to when the starting job before the first game.This is not a typical freshman coming in having to learn a new system and terminology.He has been in Malzahn's system most of his life.

I may be in the minority but I am just going to say it.  Let Wilson go somewhere else. I do  know he is a good qb but for one that is against acc competition,good but not sec, and two we do not know how our guys will fair because they have not been given a chance.  For those whose say "if they have not won the job yet then they are not going to" please tell me who would beat out Cam Newton, the number one draft pick?  Because it would not be Wilson either. The guys we have now hung in with cam all during the spring and I think they have what it takes to be good enough. I understand letting the best guy play but at what point do recruits start thinking that they may never get a shot?  If these guys were freshman then I could see it  but these guys have waited there turn.  Call me  loyal but I do not like watching my guys work hard and never get to play. I feel bad for Caudle everytime I think about it. What about tyrik Rollison? People loved him but he never would have played either with cam around. Bringing in wilson will not make this team a championship team. He has experience and talent but he does not play all the positions. With cam we had a once in a lifetime player, like having bo jackson. No other player could make the same difference. IF the d plays as it did we wont win anyway.  Alot of sec teams are starting over with new qbs and I think our guys could take them so we would not be far behind anyway. LET THEM PLAY!!!

This is about trusting our coaches.  I'm not a big fan of bringing someone in this late and handing them the job but if that's what the coaches believe is the best option to be successful then I back them 100%.  Keep in mind the coaches see these kids through all of spring and have a pretty good idea how they'll fare in the fall.  At this point they must not be convinced either of the 2 QBs on the roster are a sure thing.  That's not to say that either of the guys will not seize the opportunity in the fall but at this point they have not done this (at least that's what I assume; why else would they bring Wilson in).  I would like to see Mosley or Trotter WIN the job and not be given the job because they've paid their dues.

I'm not sure it matters what qb's we have. I believe Frazier has the ability to when the starting job before the first game.This is not a typical freshman coming in having to learn a new system and terminology.He has been in Malzahn's system most of his life.

Not a chance in hell unless the other 2 are plain bad which I don't think is the case.  Frazier is a typical freshman...new to AU, physically need to be developed, runs a version of Gus' O but not even close to Gus' O and needs to adjust to life away from home.  Could he win the job...NO.  Could he get the job by default...possibly but unlikely.  He could start midyear if we lose early and the starting QB (Trotter) is less than impressive.

Not a chance in hell unless the other 2 are plain bad which I don't think is the case.  Frazier is a typical freshman...new to AU, physically need to be developed, runs a version of Gus' O but not even close to Gus' O and needs to adjust to life away from home.  Could he win the job...NO.  Could he get the job by default...possibly but unlikely.  He could start midyear if we lose early and the starting QB (Trotter) is less than impressive.

I disagree. The job is still open otherwise CGC would have already named a starter, so he can indeed win it. Part of me would rather him not start because of immediately following in the steps of a legend of a black QB with similar hype and skill set can create intense pressure that honestly a lot of kids much less pros are not ready for. Look at Denver and Miami. They are still trying to find QBs to replace Elway and Marino...All that said if KF gives us the best chance to win now and can psychologically handle following Cam then he should start.

I think KF may be the best QB (other than CAM) that we have had at AU in a long time but if he is starting as a true freshman, we are in deep trouble.

As far as Wilson, I just want to win. I am sure tha the coaches feel the same way. This day and age you can't play favorites or you will probably lose. You have to play the best players. If we bring him in, that means the coaches think we need him in order to win. If we do not bring him in, that means the coaches think it is better to go with what we have.

Good enough for me.

CGM aka "the mad scientist" I call him,  builds his offense around the quaterbacks skill set.  As Chris Todds was different then Cams.  KF will be crazy good when he plays.  It will just start of simple and he will open up the playbook as he progresses.  KF's mobility we be needed as our line learns to play as a unit.  I wouldn't worry to much.

I see both sides to this argument. On one side we want the best athletes to get the job done. On the other hand, we don't want to cause the team unity to possibly be hurt by bringing in a person that hasn't been on campus to go through spring drills and workout with the team.

I have no idea where I stand on this argument myself. One day I say bring him in if possible, and the next I say give Trotter and Moseley their due. 

It looks to me though that there is no legs to this because the MODS havn't really had much input and they are pretty much letting this discussion go on without much to say.

As long as this thread goes on, lets just be respectful of each other's opinion and like its been said here 100 times already, let the coaches decide. Ultimately its their job thats on the line with wins and losses anyway.

I see both sides to this argument. On one side we want the best athletes to get the job done. On the other hand, we don't want to cause the team unity to possibly be hurt by bringing in a person that hasn't been on campus to go through spring drills and workout with the team.

I have no idea where I stand on this argument myself. One day I say bring him in if possible, and the next I say give Trotter and Moseley their due. 

It looks to me though that there is no legs to this because the MODS havn't really had much input and they are pretty much letting this discussion go on without much to say.

As long as this thread goes on, lets just be respectful of each other's opinion and like its been said here 100 times already, let the coaches decide. Ultimately its their job thats on the line with wins and losses anyway.

That is because they learned from the Cam situation when they thought there was no way he was coming to Auburn.

The bottom line is that I want AU to win !  Last week StatTiger and I went around and around on this and he has valid points, only mine are more valid.   ;)  

The situation is like having a good looking girlfriend and then another comes along that catches your eye.  Better be happy with whatcha got (when you have a good thing) than start messin' around.  You know, the cows often think the  grass is greener on the other side of the fence and then they get their big fat head stuck in the fence reaching for that greener stuff (not comparing good looking girls to cows...so stop right there ! lol).  In our first season under Chizik we showed great strength with Chris Todd, things hadn't gelled yet but AU's situation is different now.  Bringing RW seems like a charm but fraught with unknowns.  Our current roster is solid for this season and we will have good results (I'm sticking with 9-3).  2012.....WATCHOUT !!!

WDE !!!

I have always supported the coaches decisions and will root for the team no matter who is the qb but I still think our guys could do it. I wanted Todd long before he was named the starter and I hated to see what  happen to KOdi but Kodi had tons of actual starting experience and it did not work. These guys have had none.  I understand the coaches wanting experience but our guys can never get that with how we are doing them.  I do not think Malzahn is happy with the skill set we have but while I love Todd(I was one of the few people I  know wanting him to start), Mosely and Trotter have better skills than he did in my opinion.  If they bring in wilson then I will be happy but I would rather see our guys get the start.  I am sorry to see so many doubt them now because they think their is a better option.  Just a week ago many more were saying what I am saying mostly because they did not think there was any chance to get wilson and have since changed tune. To most on this site our guys were good enough when they got here(go back and look at the threads of them when they first got here) and tell me what has changed. These guys need a chance. If Wilson wins the battle then fine but I think our guys need the shot. Just like with cam you do not bring in a one year guy to sit him on the bench. 

Trotter and Moseley will get their chance even if Wilson does come to AU. If they are good enough they will beat him out. If not, they wont. Its that simple.

Our O LINE with be the difference if any of the quaterbacks are to be successful.

Trotter and Moseley will get their chance even if Wilson does come to AU. If they are good enough they will beat him out. If not, they wont. Its that simple.

Couldn't agree more. It seems like we're all under the impression that if Wilson comes he will automatically be handed the keys to the starting job. I don't see our staff doing that because it has been proven time and time again that the best players will play regardless of age or hype. A good example other than Todd and Kodi would be Mario and Dyer; it was speculated before the season that Mario would rush for 1,000 yds. As valuable a blocker and receiver out of the backfield as he was for us Mario's role in the offense diminished every game after the start of the season and Dyer got his opportunity and we know how that turned out. If Wilson is brought in and is the best QB on campus great! If he isn't, that's also good because his mere prescence will have lit a fire under whoever the coaches choose as the starter to prove himself even more because public opinion will be that Mosely/Trotter/Frazier wasn't good enough and Wilson had to be brought in. Just a thought, hope everyone has a great weekend! WDE

The bottom line is that I want AU to win !  Last week StatTiger and I went around and around on this and he has valid points, only mine are more valid.   ;)  

The situation is like having a good looking girlfriend and then another comes along that catches your eye.  Better be happy with whatcha got (when you have a good thing) than start messin' around.  You know, the cows often think the  grass is greener on the other side of the fence and then they get their big fat head stuck in the fence reaching for that greener stuff (not comparing good looking girls to cows...so stop right there ! lol).  In our first season under Chizik we showed great strength with Chris Todd, things hadn't gelled yet but AU's situation is different now.  Bringing RW seems like a charm but fraught with unknowns.  Our current roster is solid for this season and we will have good results (I'm sticking with 9-3).  2012.....WATCHOUT !!!

WDE !!!

"Fraught with unknowns" like the Cam Newton situation was "fraught with unknowns" last year?

Maybe Wilson, if he came to AUburn, would be a gap filler until Kiehl takes over next season (2012).  As talented as Trotter and Clint may be, it's only a matter of time before Kiehl wins the spot.

Maybe Wilson, if he came to AUburn, would be a gap filler until Kiehl takes over next season (2012).  As talented as Trotter and Clint may be, it's only a matter of time before Kiehl wins the spot.

^^^^ YEP ^^^^

I disagree. The job is still open otherwise CGC would have already named a starter, so he can indeed win it. Part of me would rather him not start because of immediately following in the steps of a legend of a black QB with similar hype and skill set can create intense pressure that honestly a lot of kids much less pros are not ready for. Look at Denver and Miami. They are still trying to find QBs to replace Elway and Marino...All that said if KF gives us the best chance to win now and can psychologically handle following Cam then he should start.

I think you missed my point.  I never said KF couldn't start the first game of the year.  What I said was if he is the starter, it is due to the other QBs failing more than KF blowing the coaches away.

we have the scholly available.  Bring him in.  If he wins great, if one of the others wins, great.  Its football people, its centered on COMPETITION.  IF YOUR AFRAID TO COMPETE YOU NEED TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.  I for one doubt seriously that either of our existing QBs will shy away from the fight.  These are Auburn guys who have competed all their lives.  I think most here, who are opposed, have never really had to compete much in their lives.  These guys thrive on it.

I think you missed my point.  I never said KF couldn't start the first game of the year.  What I said was if he is the starter, it is due to the other QBs failing more than KF blowing the coaches away.

Only the coaches are at practice and legitimately able to make that statement. We as fans can not make that statement because we have not seen them competing in practice like they are now.

Very true, however bringing Wilson in could be percieved as disbelief in the other 2 QBs.  That percieved disbelief could be interpreted as disbelief in the team, and we all know...perception equals reality.

Very true, however bringing Wilson in could be percieved as disbelief in the other 2 QBs.  That percieved disbelief could be interpreted as disbelief in the team, and we all know...perception equals reality.

you funny yellow bird! ;D  Perception can be nothing more then one person perspective. Team perspective comes from believing our coaches, believing in our team, believing in Auburn.  The one thing you here over and over from our possible recruits is the complete honesty of our coaching staff.  NO SMOKE AND MIRRORS here!  If our coaches brought in someone to help us win I believe that it will be discussed up front and open with everyone involved.  There is alot to be learned from the example a Kodi Burns set. 

I noticed that the NC state vs East Carolina replay is coming on monday at 10 am and 10 pm cbssn channel 152 on dish network, if anyone wants to see Wilson play.

This thing is pretty simple to me.  Russell wilson has game experience!  Our current QB's don't.  A young, talented team with experience at QB is a better team. Period.  It doesn't mean Wilson has more talent than our current guys.  The video I have seen of his games against Boston College and West Virginia show a QB that is a perfect fit for this offense.  With Wilson, we are a contender in the west. Without him, we may be and we may not.  New starters at QB usually cost you a game or two.  I think Wilson and Frazier are both perfect fits.  Cam gave us a sure bet on short yardage situations, but these two give us a chance to not see many third downs.  We can attack the whole field.  As good as Cam was, we were more predictable than most of Gus's offenses.

Only the coaches are at practice and legitimately able to make that statement. We as fans can not make that statement because we have not seen them competing in practice like they are now.

And if either Barrett or Clint would have impressed the coaches then one of them would of been named the starter.  Neither did and so neither were

Archived