Russell Wilson

auburn4ever

Kind of reminds me of last year.  No starter named after the spring.

Things that make you go HHMMMMM. :dunno:

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure it matters what qb's we have. I believe Frazier has the ability to when the starting job before the first game.This is not a typical freshman coming in having to learn a new system and terminology.He has been in Malzahn's system most of his life.

Not a chance in hell unless the other 2 are plain bad which I don't think is the case.  Frazier is a typical freshman...new to AU, physically need to be developed, runs a version of Gus' O but not even close to Gus' O and needs to adjust to life away from home.  Could he win the job...NO.  Could he get the job by default...possibly but unlikely.  He could start midyear if we lose early and the starting QB (Trotter) is less than impressive.

I disagree. The job is still open otherwise CGC would have already named a starter, so he can indeed win it. Part of me would rather him not start because of immediately following in the steps of a legend of a black QB with similar hype and skill set can create intense pressure that honestly a lot of kids much less pros are not ready for. Look at Denver and Miami. They are still trying to find QBs to replace Elway and Marino...All that said if KF gives us the best chance to win now and can psychologically handle following Cam then he should start.

I think you missed my point.  I never said KF couldn't start the first game of the year.  What I said was if he is the starter, it is due to the other QBs failing more than KF blowing the coaches away.

Only the coaches are at practice and legitimately able to make that statement. We as fans can not make that statement because we have not seen them competing in practice like they are now.

And if either Barrett or Clint would have impressed the coaches then one of them would of been named the starter.  Neither did and so neither were

92Grad, I don't understand your philosophy in the slightest. You think the coaches are just going to hand over the reigns; you're mistaken. Everything with these coaches is earned; these aren't the BBQ Buddies. Seniority means nothing here. These coaches will put the best TEAM out on the field.

Having said that, I just don't see anyone's opinion being changed here. At least there hasn't been anything outlandish stated yet. Other than the Kiehl wouldn't "win" the starting job. Keep up the good convo guys and gals.

There is not a single benefit to naming a starting QB now. It keeps the QBs working hard and doesn't allow future opponents the benefit of knowing. The coaches will take Wilson if they think he can make a positive difference on this upcoming season. Whether that be coming in and starting, being a backup plan if others get hurt, or just to come in and push their guys to work harder. We have room and unless he gets hurt and redshirts, he will be gone in a year with only the chance to make the team better.

I'm not sure it matters what qb's we have. I believe Frazier has the ability to when the starting job before the first game.This is not a typical freshman coming in having to learn a new system and terminology.He has been in Malzahn's system most of his life.

Not a chance in hell unless the other 2 are plain bad which I don't think is the case.  Frazier is a typical freshman...new to AU, physically need to be developed, runs a version of Gus' O but not even close to Gus' O and needs to adjust to life away from home.  Could he win the job...NO.  Could he get the job by default...possibly but unlikely.  He could start midyear if we lose early and the starting QB (Trotter) is less than impressive.

I disagree. The job is still open otherwise CGC would have already named a starter, so he can indeed win it. Part of me would rather him not start because of immediately following in the steps of a legend of a black QB with similar hype and skill set can create intense pressure that honestly a lot of kids much less pros are not ready for. Look at Denver and Miami. They are still trying to find QBs to replace Elway and Marino...All that said if KF gives us the best chance to win now and can psychologically handle following Cam then he should start.

I think you missed my point.  I never said KF couldn't start the first game of the year.  What I said was if he is the starter, it is due to the other QBs failing more than KF blowing the coaches away.

Only the coaches are at practice and legitimately able to make that statement. We as fans can not make that statement because we have not seen them competing in practice like they are now.

And if either Barrett or Clint would have impressed the coaches then one of them would of been named the starter.  Neither did and so neither were

I still believe this is a result of promising the incoming freshman QB in this case KF(and all positions for that matter) that the best player gets the positon.  Our coaching staff promisies are kept.  Unlike that West Alabama school.

92Grad, I don't understand your philosophy in the slightest. You think the coaches are just going to hand over the reigns; you're mistaken. Everything with these coaches is earned; these aren't the BBQ Buddies. Seniority means nothing here. These coaches will put the best TEAM out on the field.

Having said that, I just don't see anyone's opinion being changed here. At least there hasn't been anything outlandish stated yet. Other than the Kiehl wouldn't "win" the starting job. Keep up the good convo guys and gals.

As simplistic as possible

1)  agree it is earned and Barrett nor Clint has yet to EARN the starting position

2)  Therefore Wilson is a consideration

3)  If KF comes in and wins the job, I believe it will be more a lack of the others not performing than KF blowing them away

4)  Could be wrong but KF is a freshman and will make freshman mistakes.  He may know part of the O but it will take him a good year or two for the whole playbook to be run

5)  If they all perform poorly then I believe KF will get the start as you might as well get him game experience

Now hopefully that was not too hard to understand

Was the last line really neccessary?

Of course it wasn't necessary. For some reason we have some tension about this topic.  I do not care who starts, as long as it is the best player for us.  The Coaches will figure both on the basis of this season and upcoming seasons which choice is the best to make.  Some people feel that Trotter or Mosley would be don wrong or betrayed in some fashion if they don't start.  Silly since none of us know what the coaches have told them, etc.  The Chizik quotes have made it pretty obvious though that the competition will continue when practice resumes, so we might as well kick back and relax til then.  For those feeling tension over this, find a beverage of choice then go out in the sun an relax.

Of course it wasn't necessary. For some reason we have some tension about this topic.  I do not care who starts, as long as it is the best player for us.  The Coaches will figure both on the basis of this season and upcoming seasons which choice is the best to make.  Some people feel that Trotter or Mosley would be don wrong or betrayed in some fashion if they don't start.  Silly since none of us know what the coaches have told them, etc.  The Chizik quotes have made it pretty obvious though that the competition will continue when practice resumes, so we might as well kick back and relax til then.  For those feeling tension over this, find a beverage of choice then go out in the sun an relax.

It's to damn hot in Buford, Ga  :timeout: :timeout: I say go to the pool...Counsel

I think KF has about a 75% understanding of our offense and about the same level of experience executing it.  Our playbook is not that much different from what he used in high school...The big difference will be the SEC defenses he will be facing.  KF has more experience executing this offense than anyone else on the roster.  He is just wet behind the ears when it comes to facing SEC defenses...  Mosley and Trotter have the advantage of being able to practice against an SEC level defense.  However, they still don't have the "live action" experience that KF has with this particular offense.  

KF was MVP of three state title games because he knows how to execute this offense when the pressure is on...Don't count him out this year.

I think it's a no-brainer,it costs us nothing to take him.We have an available scholly,w/the new rule passsed(schollies can't count back)it will not cost us signing anyone next year.take him and let the best player start.

As simplistic as possible

1)  agree it is earned and Barrett nor Clint has yet to EARN the starting position

2)  Therefore Wilson is a consideration

3)  If KF comes in and wins the job, I believe it will be more a lack of the others not performing than KF blowing them away

4)  Could be wrong but KF is a freshman and will make freshman mistakes.  He may know part of the O but it will take him a good year or two for the whole playbook to be run

5)  If they all perform poorly then I believe KF will get the start as you might as well get him game experience

Now hopefully that was not too hard to understand

I am just responding to #4 in your list...your are absolutely 100% incorrect. That is all.

When athletes attend college their highest priority is supposed to be academics/graduation and those who don't do so will face the highest attrition rate in life especially if they choose to pursue the NFL.  The gradual creep of college football to become more similar to pro sports is evident, ie., pay-for-play and single-season transfer without a one-year sit out being the current issues (almost like a player trade which might be a future concern).  The latter issue is under discussion by the SEC because of Masoli's transfer to UM considered to be an exploitation of the rules and could possibly affect a transfer of RW to AU, doubtful though.  

BT and CM have played according to the rules, most importantly as Auburn men (include Neil Caudle in this too).  They are TEAM players and have paid the price to be where they are, not opportunists looking out for just themselves.  RW's situation is treading that fine line such that the SEC will most likely rule against future such single-season transfers.  Why ?  Because academics are first, not sports.  The team dynamics of such a transfer is for another discussion.

Bottom line, college football is COLLEGE football and should remain that way, not become junior NFL....as much as so many throughout the country want it to be.  IF RW were to play for AU it would be a mistake.  BT and CM are the current forerunners with KF coming in to ramp up the heat.  Auburn will have a great season with the current qb combination.

WDE !!!

AUQBDad, I hope you're letting Kiehl read this to give him a little motivation. I've got faith that he'll be one of the most prolific QBs to ever don an AU jersey. Any insight on what number he'll wear? And it's great to see you back as well. :wareagle:

I might have to rethink this after the SEC ruling preventing such transfers AFTER this year.  Although it is not against the rules, the SEC commish feels it is not the right way to do things and the rule has changed to reflect that.  If this gets us the ill will of the SEC commish, then it is a totally different matter.  Sometimes you have to step back and put things in perspective.

I have seen Russell Wilson play alot of college football going back to his freshman year at NC State. I have always thought that he is a gamechanger and one of the most exciting college quarterbacks that I have seen in a long time. This guy is really good. If we could get Russell Wilson we should take him in a heartbeat.

:we:

I have seen Russell Wilson play alot of college football going back to his freshman year at NC State. I have always thought that he is a gamechanger and one of the most exciting college quarterbacks that I have seen in a long time. This guy is really good. If we could get Russell Wilson we should take him in a heartbeat.

Don't believe anyone doubts RW is a great player.  It's all the other "stuff" that's a concern.

It's all the other "stuff" that's a concern.

What other stuff are you talking about? I have not heard nor am I aware of any issues with Russell Wilson's character. Maybe you are talking about team chemistry or outside perception if we took him.  :dunno:

i say go kf he is the future and in my book the most talented of all the qbs and have no dout he can do the job. :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

It's all the other "stuff" that's a concern.

What other stuff are you talking about? I have not heard nor am I aware of any issues with Russell Wilson's character. Maybe you are talking about team chemistry or outside perception if we took him.  :dunno:

Not a character issue.  Read my previous post.

I still don't understand what all the fuss is about if Russell Wilson signs with us. He'll be a senior this coming fall and he'll be gone after the 2011 season is done. His signing should NOT hurt Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley, Keihl Frazier, Zeke Pike or even Logan Paul in any little bit.

If we had room and could legally bring in 10 graduate or JUCO transfer quarterbacks, I'd have no problem with it, and neither should any fan or any player on the team.  From little league and up, the majority of time the pitcher or QB is the most athletically talented player on the team.  They are used to the competition and strive to be the BEST.

The coaches are paid well to evaluate which of the imagined dozen or more choices hypothesized above......would be the best fit as team leader and able to win ball games.  That's it.  Nothing more to it than that.  They have said the starter job hasn't been decided.  No matter who is on the field when practice starts back, They will decide between those just who fits what they want the best.  I do not believe whether they have been here for 3 years or 3 days means anything at all.  

I have an opinion on who that player will be and it is Kiehl.  But my opinion doesn't matter and I will trust whatever choices the coaches make until such time they give me reason to question them.  Thus far, they have more than earned my trust in those type choices.

Archived