Russell Wilson

auburn4ever

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this may have already been brought but

I would rather Wilson not join the team. Auburn won't do anything special next year even should Wilson join the team. 2012 is the year. Wilson will take away valuable grooming time from the qb who will lead us in the NC chase in 2012.

I disagree. IMO RW is gonna bring 1 or 2 wins with him. That could be the difference between a music city type bowl and a new years day bowl. I think that is worth the investment.

So you would druther sacrifice a National Championship run in '12 to go to a POSSIBLE New Year's day bowl this year. Because that is the likely result if Auburn goes into '12 with an untested qb. All the other  pieces would be in place. Veteran squads on both sides of the ball but for the qb.

That is being way to overdramatic and extreme. KF will be as prepared for 2012 whether he starts in 2011 or not.

Man I'm glad some of you guys aren't coaching!

As for Wilson, if he comes to AU, he WILL have to win the starting job.

True and our coaches will let him know it.  NO FREE PASS ON THIS BUS!  You earn it you get it.  PERIOD

^T^H^I^S^ x1000000000!!!

The coaches are bringing in Wilson FOR A REASON. Wilson is coming here FOR A REASON. Simple as that.

If Wilson comes in, I expect Frazier to play the Tebow role from his freshman year.

Finally somebody gets it.

Yeah. I never thought about that.

And he will win the job.

And he will win the job.

And he will win the job.

If we choose him,  that is exactly the way it will go down.

You know guys, there's another highly rated QB from Arkansas that we tried to fit into that "Tebow role". He just finished his senior year as a wide receiver.

I am not at all in favor of having Kiehl be a situational Wildcat QB (which is essentially what Tebow was his freshman year). I would much prefer that he be given the reins to run the full offense, or at least most of it, even if that is in a backup capacity...kinda like DJ Shockley at UGA when he was playing behind David Greene.

Some people here crack me up.  The vast majority of posters on the recruiting board are so concerned with us getting as many 4 and 5 stars as possible.  When one service rates our commits lower than the other, it gets trashed.  We grumble about 3 star recruits and often wonder about prospects who get 3 stars instead of 4.  And worry so much about guys getting that 4th star close to signing day.

DESPITE ALL THE ABOVE, some seem in shock that our coaches might not want to start either of our 3 star QB's.  Newsflash, people, they may have been 3 stars for a reason.  Good kids, I assume.  Hard workers, yes.  Talented, I'm sure.  But it may just be that the 4/5 stars we are recruiting are better.  That is the point of recruiting and big time college football.  Get the best possible players, give them the best possible coaching, and win fairly.

So why complain when we do just that?  I'm not knocking Trotter or Mosely, or any other QB who never got to start.  I hate it for example that Mario Fannin and Brandon Jacobs didnt have big AU careers.  I can name tons of examples at a variety of positions.  It is part of competition.  So the complaining here and seconding guessing of coaches who took us to a title in two years, despite Tub's last lackluster class is shortsighted at best.

I think this is a good thing as from what I've seen from him in film and highlights, I'd be keen to see what he can do in our offense so long as it doesn't have any negative impact on KF and Pike in any way shape or form; would hate to sacrifice anything for those two for the sake of one year with Wilson, given that this next season was always going to be a rebuilding year.

It wouldn't surprise me to see KF come in and blow the sox off them all anyway.

Russell Wilson was rated a 2* by rivals as a senior coming out of The Collegiate School in Richmond, VA.  His only Major offers were NCST and Duke.  He's never really seen an SEC defense or really practiced against one either. 

I'm just not overly impressed with him. He seems similar to our QB's, but he has more experience. With the being said, I do trust the coaches and whatever decision they make.

While I won't argue that the ACC is anywhere near as good as the SEC, but there are a few teams in the ACC that have defenses that would rank in the tops of the SEC (the two that come to mind are VA Tech and the tar heels).

If Wilson comes in, I expect Frazier to play the Tebow role from his freshman year.

I personally wouldn't want to see that happen. Why waste a year of eligiblity in spot duty?

Because the experience will be worth the year of elegibility and we have Pike right behind KF. 

Well if it is experience you want him to have then don't bring Wilson in at all. Just turn the reins over to Frazier next year and let get his baptismal so he'll be fully prepared for 2012.

Not really a smart move, either, in that your "rookie starter" gets shell shocked and potentially ruins his confidence for the future. This has happened to others who have been "baptized" before their time. No I think a "Tebow type" first year experience is the way to go for next year, providing that they bring in Wilson. This combination may be more lethal than you might think.

You know guys, there's another highly rated QB from Arkansas that we tried to fit into that "Tebow role". He just finished his senior year as a wide receiver.

I am not at all in favor of having Kiehl be a situational Wildcat QB (which is essentially what Tebow was his freshman year). I would much prefer that he be given the reins to run the full offense, or at least most of it, even if that is in a backup capacity...kinda like DJ Shockley at UGA when he was playing behind David Greene.

Doesn't mean he'll be expected to be Tebow, just that he'll be integrated slowly while an experienced starter (such as Leak was) takes a lot of the load. By season's end I'd guess he will have contributed as well as prepared for 2012.

Don't know if KF is ready to run over linebackers like Tebow or Cam yet.

ellitor

Ultimate Tiger

Re: Russell Wilson

« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:34 PM » Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Magnolia and College on June 06, 2011, 08:34:01 PM

Quote from: aucpe on June 06, 2011, 08:28:38 PM

Finally somebody gets it.

Yeah. I never thought about that.

____

Just my opinion but I do not see Frazier at all like Tebow. Tebow was more of a gain 3 or 4 tough yards when needed kind of runner. I see Frazier as being much more of a long run threat. Also, Frazier is not nearly as  big physically today that Tebow was. I also think Frazier will be a more polished passer than Tebow. Tebow was a terrific QB. He was sort of like a LB on the offensive side of the ball. I think Frazier has a chance to be a very special player.

If Wilson comes, I still see Frazier playing, but not like Tebow, I see him playng like Frazier. :tdau:

Russell Wilson was rated a 2* by rivals as a senior coming out of The Collegiate School in Richmond, VA.  His only Major offers were NCST and Duke.  He's never really seen an SEC defense or really practiced against one either. 

I'm just not overly impressed with him. He seems similar to our QB's, but he has more experience. With the being said, I do trust the coaches and whatever decision they make.

Phillip Rivers came from the ACC and is one of the NFL's best QBs, so i don't buy into the theory that an ACC guy can't excel in the SEC. Russell Wilson's lack of ideal size was the reason for his low ranking. He has proven that he is a great college QB, and if he can help make Auburn better, i want him on our team.

As far as him being similar to our currents QBs, i don't know if that's true because they have played very little or not at all. Russell Wilson is a proven leader.

Russell Wilson is not an NFL QB.

We don't need an NFL QB, we need a good college QB.  Wilson has proven to be a very good college QB.

wde

OK guys, this is my first post but here it goes.

In MHO if Wilson comes to Auburn he will be the starting QB and Trotter and Moseley are somewhat out of the picture, like it or not. I do not know that I do like it, but anyway. Frazier will not redshirt and will play key roles in every game which may include starting in games like Florida Atlantic and Samford. Pike will redshirt his first year and take the starting spot when Frazier leaves. This may not be a bad thing because you get an experienced QB in Wilson to help break in a very talented new QB in Frazier and Pike getting the experience under Frazier.  End result= Set at the QB position for years to come.

OK guys, this is my first post but here it goes.

In MHO if Wilson comes to Auburn he will be the starting QB and Trotter and Moseley are somewhat out of the picture, like it or not. I do not know that I do like it, but anyway. Frazier will not redshirt and will play key roles in every game which may include starting in games like Florida Atlantic and Samford. Pike will redshirt his first year and take the starting spot when Frazier leaves. This may not be a bad thing because you get an experienced QB in Wilson to help break in a very talented new QB in Frazier and Pike getting the experience under Frazier.  End result= Set at the QB position for years to come.

Welcome, nice post. I'm not really a fan of the situation, I would prefer that he have more time on campus if he's in fact coming here. If the coaches are actively trying to get him here, there must be a reason for it. We all have opinions but we aren't the ones behind the closed doors who have access to all this info.

this is just another way this coaching staff is looking to bridge the gap between recruiting classes from before they got here until their recruits are ready at every position.  QB is a marque position, and their marque recruit at that position will be a true freshman.  The previous marque recruit who would have been presumably winning the starting qb role was Rollison, and that didn't work out.  Therefore, the coaches brought in Cam, who worked out so well that...well you know.  So we have one a one year gap to fill.  I applaud the coaches effort in refusing at take a rebuilding year attitude and strive to compete for every win week in and week out.  I for one completely support that approach and am not interested in waiting for 2012 to try and compete.

Archived