Computer Monitor Question

LegalEagle

I have a CRT monitor which is probably 5 yrs. old. Just recently after being turned on for about 20 minutes, the size of the display shrinks about 1/4 inch on all sides and the display becomes dimmer.

Is it time to replace it due to wear, or could there be some virus, trojan horse, worm, snake, beaver or other vermin that is responsible.

My vote is on old age and being worn out (like me! *grin*). If you have insight into this problem, please let me know.

Thanks.

That sounds more like a video card issue. I don't think CPU monitors are that short lived. My parents have had a 19" flat screen for about 6 years now (where does the time go...) and its still fine.

Here's a few things I would suggest with my limited knowledge:

1) Is your resolution high? If so, bump it down a few notches and see if the problem goes away... This won't fix your problem, but it might prove that your monitor is fine. On the other hand, if you have access to another monitor, plug it up and see if you experience the problem.

2) Try re-installing the video card drivers.

3) Look up your video card manufacturer and visit their website. Look for a FAQ on your model, and possibly some downloadable updates.

4) Check some cpu help sites, this is probably a well documented problem.

All of bigsixfive's suggestions are good. However, depending on usage, environmental factors, and things such as that, monitors can (but shouldn't) die. It never hurts to try all the free and cheap fixes first, but you might be in need of a new one soon. The 20 minute thing is what makes me think it may be dying. It seems to me that if the driver or video card were to blame, it would do it from the get-go. But if it's doing this after 20 minutes, it may be that some component inside is degraded and only gets affected once the monitor is fully warmed up.

I concur with plugging up another monitor. Also, this is kind of far fetched, but I have seen it happen. Make sure you don't have a magnetic device (i.e. computer speakers) too close to the monitor. These can interfere with the picture on the monitor. Usually, they pull the color out of the screen, but I have seen times where it pushes the picture to one side or the other.

Check the on screen menus for the monitor too and see if you can adjust the horizontal size, position, etc.

Thanks for the help. I tried switching the monitors yesterday, and the substituted monitor (which is even older) worked fine, but I didn't let it go for 20 minutes. Since my monitor was already dim, if it was a card, it should have been dim immediately on the replacement, right?

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that.

One reason I didn't want to replace the monitor is because my speakers (magnetic devices) are mounted on the sides. Unless I got a compatible monitor, I would have to leave them free standing.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

War Eagle & Nuttin' Sucks Like A Big Orange!!! *grin*

It should have dimmed the same way if it was the video card. Unless the speakers mounted on the monitor were high end, I would just buy more speakers. You can get a good subwoofer set for under $50.

Sure sounds like a bad monitor to me Legal...Sorry.  Get yourself a new flat panel display.

105696[/snapback]

I think I would keep knocking one of those over!

I think I'll get a new desktop set and give this one to my secretary. She can use her good monitor and this will be an upgrade for her.

Thanks bunches for the help!

Sure sounds like a bad monitor to me Legal...Sorry.  Get yourself a new flat panel display.

105696[/snapback]

I think I would keep knocking one of those over!

I think I'll get a new desktop set and give this one to my secretary. She can use her good monitor and this will be an upgrade for her.

Thanks bunches for the help!

105704[/snapback]

No problem, BTW, that dimming thing is generally refered to as a "cold cathode"...

They either get dimmer, or the brightgness starts oscillating.

See, when you continually fill your monitor with all that liberal nonsense, even it gets sick. haha!

You can always velcro the speakers to the side of the monitor. (or duct tape)

Send pics if you use duct tape!

Archived