Darius Philon

DJ_Hatch

BIG-TIME DT, Darius Philon from Vigor HS in Prichard, AL, who has seen his stock rise DRAMATICALLY in the past few weeks, visited AU last week, and today informed the AU coaches that he will be attending AU! He says that it is a "dream come true" to play for his long-time favorite Tigers!

Darius "the DUKE" Philon

af537fc7-8c7c-43c7-b6fe-1effbbcef78b.jpg  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0tyEJ43YQ9f6tClKW_uOwquy5db5Rs_4madwZ8D3NtsezWuAwTA&t=1

Vigor HS (Prichard, AL)

Defensive End/Tackle

6-foot-2

260 lbs

40: 4.78

Vert: 26"

Bench: 330

Squat: 600

GPA: 3.4

ACT: 20

2010 stats: 93 tackles, 20 TFL, 9 sacks, 17 QB hurries, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 1 safety

RIVALS NR DE

SCOUT 3* DE

ESPN NR DE

24/7 Sports 3* SDE, ranking of 84

*NOTES: Nick-named "the Duke", this stand-out ATH for the Vigor football AND basketball team, which is VERY similar to another former Vigor star turned AU star, Sen'Derick Marks, who Vigor coach Kerry Stevenson says Philon mirrors in many ways! Philon visited AU a couple of times last year (Clemson game and BCSNC celebration), and he plans to be back this summer for camps. AU coaches Roof and Pelton recruited Philon and visited Vigor this spring to evaluate him. It was then that they decided that they had seen enough and decided to offer him. Philon says that the AU offer was the one he had been waiting for, so after spending the weekend with his father in TX, he returned and informed the coaches of his decision! 

Other offers: Kentucky, Miss St, Texas Tech, So Miss, Memphis and South Ala. He also had been receiving STRONG interest from several schools, including ua, Miami, Ole Miss, LSU, Nebraska, Tennessee and Penn St.

:we:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So DT or DE? If DT we still have higher prospects like Eddie Goldman, Justin Shanks, Tyler Nero, and more. DJ do you know why we took him so early

WDE!!! :thumbsup:

Is he a sleeper ?. Just now getting exposure?

that's what it seems like to me. a lot like Darrion Hutcherson. Philon had a couple other SEC offers and was getting interest from Bama, Nebraska and Penn State.

Look forward to seeing how he pans out. Interesting that we took his commitment this early and not wait on the other higher prospects.if he's good enough for the coaches he sure is good enough for me . Must be a diamond in the ruff so welcome to the family. War eagle

Yeah, I defer to DJ on this, but I suspect he's just starting to catch on with major colleges either because of a growth spurt or (more likely) not going to any/many camps and thus not getting the exposure that others do. The fact that our coaches liked him enough to extend a commitable offer, though, is all I need to know!

I just watched his video, and I love that he never stops running. He is always going for the play, even if the initial push didn't work. A couple plays reminded me of AC's play on Ingram.

Looks like niles and sigler from last year 6'2-6'3 260s.  Give him a redshirt year and move him inside to dt.  :we:

Archived