Darius Philon

DJ_Hatch

Just remember Shon Coleman. This kid is going to rise up the charts. We have a good one here. A motor and loves to play.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Film highlights blew me away!  Great vision.  Great burst and recovery. Great stance with the ability to run through or around.  Man this guy carries his weight well for 6'2'.  Of all our commits highlights so far this one stood out to me.  Just a matter of the right exposure to get the stars sometimes.  The DUKE could easily be a 5 star!!  Our coaches never stop amazing me.  Welcome to the Plains Mr. Duke......... P.S.  Don't get caught up in the STARS this guy is SPECIAL........NOT  a diamond in the ruff

BIG-TIME DT, Darius Philon from Vigor HS in Prichard, AL, who has seen his stock rise DRAMATICALLY in the past few weeks, visited AU last week, and today informed the AU coaches that he will be attending AU! He says that it is a "dream come true" to play for his long-time favorite Tigers!

Darius "the DUKE" Philon

af537fc7-8c7c-43c7-b6fe-1effbbcef78b.jpg  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0tyEJ43YQ9f6tClKW_uOwquy5db5Rs_4madwZ8D3NtsezWuAwTA&t=1

Vigor HS (Prichard, AL)

Defensive End/Tackle

6-foot-2

260 lbs

40: 4.93

Vert: 26"

Bench: 285

Squat: 405

GPA: 3.4

ACT: 20

2010 stats: 93 tackles, 20 TFL, 9 sacks, 17 QB hurries, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 1 safety

RIVALS NR DE

SCOUT 3* DE

ESPN NR DE

24/7 Sports 3* SDE, ranking of 84

*NOTES: Nick-named "the Duke", this stand-out ATH for the Vigor football AND basketball team, which is VERY similar to another former Vigor star turned AU star, Sen'Derick Marks, who Vigor coach Kerry Stevenson says Philon mirrors in many ways! Philon visited AU a couple of times last year (Clemson game and BCSNC celebration), and he plans to be back this summer for camps. AU coaches Roof and Pelton recruited Philon and visited Vigor this spring to evaluate him. It was then that they decided that they had seen enough and decided to offer him. Philon says that the AU offer was the one he had been waiting for, so after spending the weekend with his father in TX, he returned and informed the coaches of his decision! 

Other offers: Kentucky, Miss St, Texas Tech, So Miss, Memphis and South Ala. He also had been receiving STRONG interest from several schools, including ua, Miami, Ole Miss, LSU, Nebraska, Tennessee and Penn St.

:we:

War Eagle great pickup!

Question though...being so thick why are his bench and squat so low. I played HS ball with guys 2/3 this guy who were putting up his numbers or greater. I know bench not near as important...just wondering though. War Eagle Darius! Happy you are here my man. Keep up that intensity and drive and I'm sure our coaches will fill in any missing pieces!

I'm very impressed by Philon, and the defensive line is a position of need. This coaching staff knows what they are doing. They won a NC in only their 2nd season for God's sake!!!!! By no means were they obligated to take this kid this early if they didn't think he's a real "keeper." Sometimes you go with what you see and not opinions based on recruiting services. The highlights i've seen on film, looks as good if not better than any DL video in the 2012 class. This kid has the GPA, the test scores, and a motor that will never quit. Darius is the type of kid we can win championships with.

For every SACK we will be saying "DUKE" "DUKE"  Keep the commits coming, man this is ausome ;D

little shorter but he reminds me of marcel dareus. He is thick, but very active. with some hard weights and a tough summer he could be up to 280+ by the time he signs with us. Check out Marcel's profile... see some similarities?

Marcus could be another elite tackle for Auburn! I'm really looking forward to seeing this kid next year. :wedance::wareagle::wedance:

Justin Houston is the perfect comparison to me...

And what I like the most, there's no jawing after the play. He's going to show you how good he is by dominating you. Great pick up here!! In the 3-4 and had 87 tackles.. outstanding!

Like this guy!!! Great addition to the 2012 class. Cool name as well, Darius Duke Philon, can't wait for him to hit the field.

Hey DJ, was last year his first season playing Varsity Football?

I'm not sure about it being his first year playing "Varsity". I know that he started out at Baker HS near Mobile and played 9th grade ball there. Then moved to Vigor after that.

War Eagle great pickup!

Question though...being so thick why are his bench and squat so low. I played HS ball with guys 2/3 this guy who were putting up his numbers or greater. I know bench not near as important...just wondering though. War Eagle Darius! Happy you are here my man. Keep up that intensity and drive and I'm sure our coaches will fill in any missing pieces!

That was actually OLD info that I had. His coach says that now he's up to 330 on the bench and he squats 600! He also said that Darius now runs a 4.78 on the 40!  :) And for those worried about Phion's size.... his coach also said that as a sophomore, Darius played at 6-foot-0, 210-215 lbs! So, I'd say the SKY'S THE LIMIT for what this kid can accomplish!

I'm not sure about it being his first year playing "Varsity". I know that he started out at Baker HS near Mobile and played 9th grade ball there. Then moved to Vigor after that.

War Eagle great pickup!

That was actually OLD info that I had. His coach says that now he's up to 330 on the bench and he squats 600! He also said that Darius now runs a 4.78 on the 40!  :) And for those worried about Phion's size.... his coach also said that as a sophomore, Darius played at 6-foot-0, 210-215 lbs! So, I'd say the SKY'S THE LIMIT for what this kid can accomplish!

Wow, I'm glad he's getting the much needed exposure that comes from playing at Vigor, but as an alum of Mobile County's perennial football doormat, Baker High School, it hurts to know that he was once a Hornet.  :(  I mean to my knowledge we've only had 1 D-1A player in football since I graduated back in '96 other than Alex Lincoln who left BHS after his soph. season to get exposure at Murphy.

Trust our coaches on this one, but one thing is obvious to me.  He's being recruited to play inside.  The 40 speed screams DT.  In a good way, because he's agile.

Trust our coaches on this one, but one thing is obvious to me.  He's being recruited to play inside.  The 40 speed screams DT.  In a good way, because he's agile.

I think early in his career he'll be a rush-end on 3rd downs.. too fast and determined not to be on the field.

A couple more thoughts....

He's really playing DT now, just in a 3-4.  He's not the true contain guy in that defense.  At 6'2" and not super-fast, he's gotta move inside IMO.

Beyond that, I love the play at about 1:15 of the first highlight vid -- great agility.

little shorter but he reminds me of marcel dareus. He is thick, but very active. with some hard weights and a tough summer he could be up to 280+ by the time he signs with us. Check out Marcel's profile... see some similarities?

Marcus could be another elite tackle for Auburn! I'm really looking forward to seeing this kid next year. :wedance::wareagle::wedance:

Great! So he's only gonna have one good game his entire career?  :rolleyes:

Now the important question.

Is the "a" pronounced like cat or car??  You know for two years Marcel was Dareus (like cat) then he went with Darreus (like car).  And about that last name?  Is it pile-on, file-on or phe-lon?   :dunno:   ;D  

A couple more thoughts....

He's really playing DT now, just in a 3-4.  He's not the true contain guy in that defense.  At 6'2" and not super-fast, he's gotta move inside IMO.

Beyond that, I love the play at about 1:15 of the first highlight vid -- great agility.

I hope you saw that I updated his measurables! Last check, his HS coach says that his 40 is down to 4.78! And I'd expect that to CONTINUE to decrease! Plus, he's getter BIGGER and STRONGER to boot! I'd say that he'll have NO problem holding 300+ lbs. on his frame someday!

Now the important question.

Is the "a" pronounced like cat or car??  You know for two years Marcel was Dareus (like cat) then he went with Darreus (like car).  And about that last name?  Is it pile-on, file-on or phe-lon?   :dunno:   ;D  

I think it's "file-on", but just to be safe, I'm gonna call him "the Duke"!

John-Wayne.jpg

War Eagle great pickup!

4.78 40 at that size ... wow!

Thanks, DJ.  I did see that.  Under 4.8 is indeed DE speed.  Still, there's no doubt he's gonna get bigger, and we've been so fortunate, with fast, agile DTs.

I was listening to Bryan Matthews on SportsCall today and he said Auburn measured Philon at 6'1 3/4" and 263 lbs. Scout is nearly accurate with their listed measurables of 6'2" 265 lbs. Matthews also said Auburn coaches likes this kid as much as any 4 or 5* DL that they are recruiting.

Archived