Will Latu

And with Latu's decommit, AU moves down to 18th in Scout's recruiting rankings. Meanwhile bama has moved to #1. The "all is well, we'll be fine" posts aren't as comforting as they used to be.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad he did not get his act together but nice for AU to learn about this on someone else's dime.  If he doesn't have the discipline to step up the academic requirements of a JC for gosh sakes, seems to me that he would be a constant concern at AU.   We gotta have some standards...Auburn is a serious university after all.  In the real world, not everyone has the maturity and discipline that it takes to play a high level sport AND take care of academics.   

Our entrance requirements for athletes are not really very tough.  Auburn is a serious university for those who are going to AU to get an education.  AU is a football factory for those football players trying to get to the NFL and I have no problem with that.  If we want to play big boy football, then that is just the way it is, because in the SEC we have 10 football factories plus Vandy and UK (which is a basketball factory). 

If academics truly came first when it came to athletics, then we would be like the Ivy League and not give athletic scholarships.

We can do without the last part.

Too bad he did not get his act together but nice for AU to learn about this on someone else's dime.  If he doesn't have the discipline to step up the academic requirements of a JC for gosh sakes, seems to me that he would be a constant concern at AU.   We gotta have some standards...Auburn is a serious university after all.  In the real world, not everyone has the maturity and discipline that it takes to play a high level sport AND take care of academics.   

And what's especially troubling is that JC is nothing more than the 13th and 14th grades.

You mean that he can't enroll at Auburn because of grades but is visiting Florida State because he can be admitted this Spring?    I hate it that Latu didn't get the job done in the classroom this fall, but there is actually a silver lining to this development - the same one that is apparently in play with Dyer's transfer:  Chizik expects his players to take their educations seriously.

Just spend a few minutes on any ACC school's boards and reading sports editors or listening to sports talk radio in ACC country and you will quickly "learn" that the reason the SEC is so dominant and the ACC is so mediocre is because the SEC is composed of trade schools who thrive on great athletes who shouldn't even be in college while the ACC is a collection of state universities whose academics are on par with the Ivy League.  Many of their posts are quick to repeat the lie that "ACC schools won't admit juco's" (lol) when a simple survey of their rosters proves otherwise - although they do have juco players, the ACC version of juco is "prep school" (Fork Union, Hargrave, etc.) and their rosters are littered with them.  Hint: great HS students don't go to prep schools.  If ACC academic standards are the reason that their football programs are so mediocre but they "will not compromise academics for success on the football field", how is it that SEC rosters are populated with players that were hotly pursued by ACC schools?  Did they become "trade school caliber students" on the day that they commited to the SEC school? 

Of course, this won't keep the ACC apologists from repeating the lie.  It will be interesting to see where Latu ends up.

And with Latu's decommit, AU moves down to 18th in Scout's recruiting rankings. Meanwhile bama has moved to #1. The "all is well, we'll be fine" posts aren't as comforting as they used to be.

Yes they are...they are just as comforting. This class that is still committed will rise up and recruit thier tails off for the sake of auburn until nsd. Next year, this same group will contribute and you will not want to play us. So, all is fine, we will be fine.

Actually I don't worry too much about the commits yet.  It wasn't long ago that Tubs would recruit a bunch of highly rated kids, maybe have a top 5 class or so...and then the next fall we learned that about half of them were in prep school or JC.      How many kids on the commit lists for those top ten schools will not qualify?    Gotta give Chiz credit.  What he recruits, we actually see showing up on campus.  The recruiting championship isn't really won until August.

I'm surprised at the hand wringing over this. If the guy isn't doing his job to pass and get into school we should move on.  Tubbs didn't do that enough and we paid for it.  In 09 with almost no depth and in 2011 with a team made up mostly of freshmen and sophomores.

Actually I don't worry too much about the commits yet.  It wasn't long ago that Tubs would recruit a bunch of highly rated kids, maybe have a top 5 class or so...and then the next fall we learned that about half of them were in prep school or JC.      How many kids on the commit lists for those top ten schools will not qualify?    Gotta give Chiz credit.  What he recruits, we actually see showing up on campus.   The recruiting championship isn't really won until August.

You're absolutely right about that. But unfortunately the big splash on TV is what a lot pf people pay attention to now. It's contributing to the downfall of college football, and helps make these kids have the bad attitudes that we are seeing. The team concept is getting lost in all the hype about individual players. These kids love to be the focus of all the attention and recruiting drama..... >:(

This is another ESPN/media-manufactured college football cancer. >:(

Actually I don't worry too much about the commits yet.  It wasn't long ago that Tubs would recruit a bunch of highly rated kids, maybe have a top 5 class or so...and then the next fall we learned that about half of them were in prep school or JC.      How many kids on the commit lists for those top ten schools will not qualify?    Gotta give Chiz credit.  What he recruits, we actually see showing up on campus.   The recruiting championship isn't really won until August.

You're absolutely right about that. But unfortunately the big splash on TV is what a lot pf people pay attention to now. It's contributing to the downfall of college football, and helps make these kids have the bad attitudes that we are seeing. The team concept is getting lost in all the hype about individual players. These kids love to be the focus of all the attention and recruiting drama..... >:(

This is another ESPN/media-manufactured college football cancer. >:(

Immensely aided by the fans that are either too simple or too uncaring to see through it.

Sorry guys, but if he can't do the work @ JC, he won't get it done @ AU...

True.  Or FSU, USC, Oklahoma etc, etc, etc

wde

I may be a sunshine pumper, but I ain't a quitter! When the going gets tough, the tough get going, and that's what I expect Auburn to do. This is real life - deal with it.

Last thing for now, per Latu's twitter...

"There's no other place id rather be than au but things happen and maybe it'll workout or maybe it won't. Appreciate those who been along with me on this journey."

"If yall only knew what's really going on. smh"

Unfortunate situation. God Bless him whatever happens.

I could give a rats behind were we finish in recruiting as long as we get our share of top players and make them into great players. I can remember when the only way you knew who signed with Auburn was if the played a basketball game either the night of signing day or the next and it was talked about at halftime and you still had never heard of a third of the signees. I wish Latu the best; sorry he apparently isn`t coming but the coaches will move on and adjust.

Archived