Barrett Sallee from CFN....on Newton (Good)

dmbseeker00

The following was copy pasted from college football news regarding what was the "Cam Newton situation"....He is spot on in my eyes. It is to-the-point, well written, and exactly how I feel about the situation!

By Barrett Sallee

Follow me on Twitter: @BarrettSallee

I believe what is being passed off as a solicitation by Cecil Newton was more of a conversation among several parties. The NCAA handled it the best they could, because had it kept Newton ineligible, it would have opened up a door that would allow anyone off the streets to suggest that a player’s family solicited money in order to render that player ineligible. The NCAA doesn’t need that type of drama (even though recent legislature may, sadly, make that a reality).

I also believe that fans and media have jumped to far too many conclusions. The facts are that no legitimate report has even tied Auburn to the controversy at all, but yet Auburn’s season is the one thing that’s been tarnished most – at least in the minds of some. It’s also sad that people assume they know the Newton family dynamics based on TV reports magazine articles. Nobody knows the true inner-workings except the Newton's. It was a textbook case of being "guilty until being proven innoncent," and it's sad.

The following was copy pasted from college football news regarding what was the "Cam Newton situation"....He is spot on in my eyes.

By Barrett Sallee

I believe what is being passed off as a solicitation by Cecil Newton was more of a conversation among several parties. The NCAA handled it the best they could, because had it kept Newton ineligible, it would have opened up a door that would allow anyone off the streets to suggest that a player’s family solicited money in order to render that player ineligible. The NCAA doesn’t need that type of drama (even though recent legislature may, sadly, make that a reality).

I also believe that fans and media have jumped to far too many conclusions. The facts are that no legitimate report has even tied Auburn to the controversy at all, but yet Auburn’s season is the one thing that’s been tarnished most – at least in the minds of some. It’s also sad that people assume they know the Newton family dynamics based on TV reports magazine articles. Nobody knows the true inner-workings except the Newton's. It was a textbook case of being "guilty until being proven innoncent," and it's sad.

Well said.

The reason that now 'good' press is coming out is because it was the "death penalty" to give 'good' press to Auburn back then....now that DS has flopped...you will start to see all the "NEGATIVE" from other press and teams as to who started this, why was this in the news so long with no proof, and why did we (being other people and teams and news reporters) follow 'blindly' when we got innuendo, blogs, fantasy beliefs, witchcraft, and etc!!!!

The TRUTH is SETTING US FREE!!!

:believe:

Where was he in Nov. 2010???

I wish he had spoken up then.

Although it did not seem that way, there were media people that did stick to the facts, investigated and reported in a competent and professional manner, and did not embellish things in such a way as to trash Cam Newton and/or Auburn.  Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports was one of them.  Here are three articles he wrote back then:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-greengross110510

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=cr-newtonnext11110

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=cr-newton120110

The following was copy pasted from college football news regarding what was the "Cam Newton situation"....He is spot on in my eyes. It is to-the-point, well written, and exactly how I feel about the situation!

By Barrett Sallee

It is nice to FINALLY see someone put this in the correct context!  Thank You!

I can't recall exactly what Barrett said last fall, but as I remember it, the SEC-specific writers for CFN.com -- all of them volunteer -- were the most sensible I read. I don't think they've ever jumped to conclusions on the Newton case, the Thayer-breathing stories out of Louisiana, the south Florida mess, none of it. ... Now Fuitak is a different story. But he's a national guy for CFN. He can make bad generalizations and gloss over background with the best, er, worst of 'em. Anyway, I just wanted to give Barrett and Russ Mitchell and Harbach shout outs. I couldn't give them any higher a recommendation. 

As for the national water carriers, well, Cam was a victim of the echo chamber/group think/24-7 competition that has been magnified by the Web, Twitter (a horrible medium in that it NEVER allows for context) and message boards. If you have the stomach, compare the way the ESPN writers craft the boilerplate background now versus the first story and the several subsequent stories. Initially, you remember, it was Cecil "shopping around" his son. Now they actually state "solicited up to $180K from Mississippi State." I'm not even sure that such a line accurately captures what happened. Whatever the case, the fact that Low and that UGA-grad-who-shall-not-be-name and Joe Shat-for-Brains have to write that specific language is proof that they know they mishandled the case.

Nothing we can do about it now. I suggest for everyone's sanity that we all recognize that this has been much harder on Cam personally and professionally than it has been on us. Let's try that for perspective.

When was this published and do you have a link?  I could not find it and would like to have it...

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1097912.html

click on "state of the game" story and it is one of the subsections that you can click on...either way the link above will direct you.

Archived