Projecting the FAU game

StatTiger

In terms of yardage:

Auburn is +9.6 percent on offense and +5.4 percent on defense.

Translation: Auburn has gained 9.6 percent more yards than what their opponent has allowed and the defense has allowed the opponent to gain 5.4 percent more yards than what the opponent has averaged.

FAU is -53.9 percent on offense and +7.1 percent on defense.

Projection: Auburn will gain somewhere between 421-yards and 494-yards and FAU will gain somewhere between 97-246-yards.

In terms of scoring:

Auburn is +27.1 percent on offense and -6.8 percent on defense.

FAU is -85.7 percent on offense and +22.4 percent on defense.

Projection: Auburn scores somewhere between 44-54 points and FAU scores somewhere between 0-6 points.

I agree with you.  If FAU scores more than 10 points and has more than 10 first downs then our D is certainly a legit 117th.

wde

I don't know if I'm just being optimistic, but what I saw against Clemson was light years better than what I saw the previous 2 weeks against MSU and USU.  The defense was nowhere to be found in the first two games, but against Clemson the guys were in position most of the time -- they just couldn't tackle.  If we only missed 1 tackle instead of 2 on several of the plays, Auburn wins the game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say -- after the correction of getting guys in position after the first 2 games, the coaches will correct the tackling this week, and Auburn fans will be pleasantly surprised.

I don't know if I'm just being optimistic, but what I saw against Clemson was light years better than what I saw the previous 2 weeks against MSU and USU.  The defense was nowhere to be found in the first two games, but against Clemson the guys were in position most of the time -- they just couldn't tackle.  If we only missed 1 tackle instead of 2 on several of the plays, Auburn wins the game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say -- after the correction of getting guys in position after the first 2 games, the coaches will correct the tackling this week, and Auburn fans will be pleasantly surprised.

excellent point! I share your optimism.

I look to see a lot of sub's in this game.  The perfect time ot rest our starters in the 2nd half and get ready for our road trip to SoCracky next week.

I wouldn't sub. I would put my best 11 out there and give them a better chance to gel together as a unit. They need this game to get better. I am all for playing subs, but our "first" team defense needs to learn to play better more than we need to play subs. Use this game as a scrimmage if you want. Practice different defensive formations, practice situational defenses, and just plan practice angles and tackling.

I would love 0-6 points, but I can't see it. My guess is FAU scres 17-24 points.

I realize AU has struggled horribly on defense but their offense has actually struggled more in terms of efficiency yet you think it's realistic to believe their offense will improve by nearly 90%?

Good breakdown as always. I just hope that we win, show progress and stay healthy. Then let's get it going in probably the hardest October schedule in the nation.

:believe:

I wouldn't sub. I would put my best 11 out there and give them a better chance to gel together as a unit. They need this game to get better. I am all for playing subs, but our "first" team defense needs to learn to play better more than we need to play subs. Use this game as a scrimmage if you want. Practice different defensive formations, practice situational defenses, and just plan practice angles and tackling.

I agree! Brilliant post and I hope the coaches think the same way.

We need to treat this like a full scale game no matter the score. 1st team all night on defensive side.

We need to treat this like a full scale game no matter the score. 1st team all night on defensive side.

You play the starters for a half and establish a huge lead. Chizik would be crucified if we lost a starter on defense for the year because of an injury that occurred in the 4th quarter, leading by 35-40 pts.

You play the starters for a half and establish a huge lead. Chizik would be crucified if we lost a starter on defense for the year because of an injury that occurred in the 4th quarter, leading by 35-40 pts.

Stat is right. Playing a full game compared to a half wouldn't do much if we see good tackling and angles the first half. If they continue to be bad then thats when I'd say they stay out till they prove they can tackle and take good angles. But if we are up then its time to build more depth. You can NEVER had enough depth.

As someone earlier pointed out, there is still the need to build teamwork.....right now we are mostly a team of HS all-stars and the games look like most all-star games with some big exciting plays mixed in with a lot of confusion about what the scheme should be, who has coverage on whom, and so on.    It takes a while to build the "team" concept and this is a good game to work on that aspect. 

Archived