Why does Arkansas seem ...

catch8185

to be one of the teams that we have one of the hardest times with??  How many times have we 'laid an egg' against them??  Maybe it's just the way I perceive it, but it often seems like we don't play that well against them.  2 yrs. ago we went out there to Arky and got it handed to us, last year Cam basically had to score 70 points, and there were numerous times in Tuberviller's tenure that we completely dropped the ball.  (Like that one time with Cox when we were ranked #2 and they came in to JH and just ran through, around, and over us with that small little speedy back). 

Is it because we just don't take them as seriously as we should or what?  It just flew all over me that they always (or at least since Nutt and Gus started it a while back) seemed to take the game much more seriously than we did.  It appeared that they were almost treating it like a rivalry game, and we just approached it as ho-hum.  It's Arkansas.  We'll beat them.  No problem.  And then we've gotten it handed to us. 

Seems like we play better when we are the underdog against them.  Like you said, in 06 we were ranked #2 and they came to JH and stomped a mud hole in us thanks to Run DMC.  The next year we go up there and everyone expects McFadden to run over us again and the D holds him to like 70 yards rushing. I'm anxious to see how our D responds to an excellent passing team.  I must say that I feel ok/good about the D but Im worried about the offense.  This is a first for me since we've had Gus on the Plains.

I think that perception comes from how Auburn has lost some of the games during the series.

In reality...

Since Arkansas joined the the SEC, Auburn is 9-3 vs. Arkansas when the Tigers finish the season with the better record and Arkansas is 2-1.

I think that perception comes from how Auburn has lost some of the games during the series.

In reality...

Since Arkansas joined the the SEC, Auburn is 9-3 vs. Arkansas when the Tigers finish the season with the better record and Arkansas is 2-1.

Part of it may be that we have lost a time or two when we seemed to be on our way to a great season. One such case is 2006 when we beat LSU at home then lost to Arkansas. That loss blew my mind. Another was 2009 when we were 5 - 0 and lost to them in the next game.

I'm feeling good about this game simply bc its the 1st time since I don't know when that we play at arky and its not the noon kickoff game

Wilson got to us last because we had prepared for Mallet all week, that is why it would be nice to see Frazier a lot more with them preparing for a pocket passer like Trotter, fwiw.

05 was a strange year. Lost to Arky and Jawja.....Went 11-2 and didn't even get to play for the SEC championship.

05 was a strange year. Lost to Arky and Jawja.....Went 11-2 and didn't even get to play for the SEC championship.

We beat both Arky and Uga in 2005.  2006 is the year we lost to both in a big way when we were favored.

wde

In reality...

Part of it may be that we have lost a time or two when we seemed to be on our way to a great season. One such case is 2006 when we beat LSU at home then lost to Arkansas. That loss blew my mind. Another was 2009 when we were 5 - 0 and lost to them in the next game.

It also gets to me that when we've lost to them, they've generally cost us a trip to Atlanta. From '00-'07 the winner of the AU v. LSwho went to Atlanta except when we lost to Arky in '02 & '06. It hurt the most due to the fact that we expected to win at just got shalacked.

One thing I have noticed is that we always seem to play them in the 12am slot. And for years we never played well in that time slot. Not sure if the boys aren’t awake yet or what. But every time we played them in that time slot we got beat, especially when we went to Fayetteville.

Here's to hoping that the 7pm game time will make a difference, our boys will be ready to deal with whatever Arky can think of.

War Eagle!

...  (Like that one time with Cox when we were ranked #2 and they came in to JH and just ran through, around, and over us with that small little speedy back). ... 

I remember that game.  We came out on our first offensive series, took the ball, and was moving it like we normally do when we are in control... and then halfway on that drive we tried a trick play that blew up in our face.  You could see a momentum shift in Arkansas' favor and they just ran with that while we whimpered the rest of the game with our tails between our legs.  It looked like the game hinged on one blown up trick play that we didn't really need.

In the last 10 years we are 5-5 and 4 out of the 5 losses were beat downs.

2010/10/16  Auburn     65  -  Arkansas   43 W

2009/10/10  Auburn     23  -  Arkansas   44 L

2008/10/11  Auburn     22  -  Arkansas   25 L

2007/10/13  Auburn      9  -  Arkansas    7 W

2006/10/07  Auburn     10  -  Arkansas   27 L

2005/10/15  Auburn     34  -  Arkansas   17 W

2004/10/16  Auburn     38  -  Arkansas   20 W

2003/10/11  Auburn     10  -  Arkansas    3 W

2002/10/12  Auburn     17  -  Arkansas   38 L

2001/10/27  Auburn     17  -  Arkansas   42 L

I hope KF, MD and GM can get the rest of them fired up for their homecoming!

:we:

...  (Like that one time with Cox when we were ranked #2 and they came in to JH and just ran through, around, and over us with that small little speedy back). ... 

I remember that game.  We came out on our first offensive series, took the ball, and was moving it like we normally do when we are in control... and then halfway on that drive we tried a trick play that blew up in our face.  You could see a momentum shift in Arkansas' favor and they just ran with that while we whimpered the rest of the game with our tails between our legs.  It looked like the game hinged on one blown up trick play that we didn't really need.

I agree. We had two or three first downs, were in Arky territory, then tried a trick play that lost about 10 yards. Never recovered. Wasn't the trick play supposed to be a pass to Cox? Anyway, terrible loss.

Beat Arkansas!

War Eagle

They always come out hot...I say we play keep away with dyer Phillips Omac mason ..hit lutz in the flats

I agree.  Let our team settle into the game and see if we can't disturb their gameplan with a slower start.  I feel like Petrino always circles this game on the schedule and plans to prove to Auburn that he should have been hired when JetGate went down.

So true....They all run together these days. What a letdown that was. I remember that midget for a running back that hid behind the line on that one play, then took off for a T.D. Gus was the O.C. then , was he not ?

I think it has been due to matchups. During Tubs days we were a speed defense and Nutt ran a smashmouth 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. Now they have Petrino throwing the ball all over the place. The 1st 2 years of Chiziks tenure we have been playing with safties that were both much better in run support than in coverage and down on numbers at cb. This year I feel we have the athletes to run with their wr's but we are inexperienced and young so we aren't that consistent rushing the passer or in coverage. If our guys come out focused with a bit of a chip on their shoulder we can slow them down but I just have a feeling it is going to be next year before we can trully challenge them defensively.

I know when nutt was there they were very active in finding those off the board gem type guys from Alabama. I had two good friends growing up who just didn't measure out well and auburn and balance passed And they had great careers at arky. I don't know how their team is made up now but talented under the radar guys can he dangerous when they feel spurned by the team they are playing against. They are a good program but I don't know That we've ever really taken them the kind of serious we should have and when they do beat us its often An upset And a blowout which makes it hang in your mind.

I agree. We had two or three first downs, were in Arky territory, then tried a trick play that lost about 10 yards. Never recovered. Wasn't the trick play supposed to be a pass to Cox? Anyway, terrible loss.

Beat Arkansas!

War Eagle

It was a reverse pass, dont remember who it was intended for. We drove right down the field and was on about the 30 yard line when we tried that play. One of the things that got the ball rolling for Arkansas, was a long touchdown pass to Monk, I believe, which he just mugged our DB( you couldn't see it on TV, but if you were there it was easy to see) on the play and got away with it. It should have been an easy offensive pass interference calls ever, but it was not called and after that we were never the same.

Our players need to eat very "Kosher" prior to the game, and then feast on a good rack of pork ribs during the game and for dinner for Sunday evening after an exciting night of college football where we win of course......56-10!!!!

WDE!!!

Doc

:devil: :devil: :devil::banghead::devil: :devil: :devil:

So true....They all run together these days. What a letdown that was. I remember that midget for a running back that hid behind the line on that one play, then took off for a T.D. Gus was the O.C. then , was he not ?

Yes, Malzahn was their OC then. Muschamp was our DC. I remember that play when that "midget" hid behind their line. I was yelling, "Time out! Time out!" to the tv. I also remember thinking that Malzahn was in high school the previous year, and Muschamp was in the NFL. I hope Malzahn does the same to Muschamp next week.

First things first, though: beat Arkansas.

War Eagle

Archived