Calm it down a bit...

How many of the drops were because they were thrown at mach 3?

That's not an excuse and Trooper will tell you the same. Their hands are strong enough to catch a ball thrown hard. That's why they use the weighted balls thrown from the juggs machine from 10 feet away

A little touch on the ball goes along way to help the receivers that are that great if you want to blame the receivers.

There is a time for touch and a time for zip.  D1 receivers have to catch zip when it is thrown. 

Exactly, he thinks that he needs to zip it every time.

Exagerating a little.  He knows when he needs to zip.  A slant across the middle has to have zip on it.  When you get both hands on it you have to catch the ball.

How many of the drops were because they were thrown at mach 3?

That's not an excuse and Trooper will tell you the same. Their hands are strong enough to catch a ball thrown hard. That's why they use the weighted balls thrown from the juggs machine from 10 feet away

A little touch on the ball goes along way to help the receivers that are that great if you want to blame the receivers.

There is a time for touch and a time for zip.  D1 receivers have to catch zip when it is thrown. 

Exactly, he thinks that he needs to zip it every time.

Exagerating a little.  He knows when he needs to zip.  A slant across the middle has to have zip on it.  When you get both hands on it you have to catch the ball.

ok may a little but are you saying it was all on the receivers tonight? As much as I have read about people harping on our receivers, I would think it wouldn't be there fault. And why was the clint thread deleted?

This is true about catching the ball. But a D1 QB should get better at throwing the ball.

That's true but I think there's only about three starting QB's in the SEC that I would call good - Murray, Wilson and Bray.  The jury is still out on Connor Shaw but he looked good today.

I'm just as frustrated as everyone else with this loss but there are many to blame here.  Trotter missed a couple throws but also we made a couple easy drops that didn't help.  We scored 0 points from 2nd qtr on.  Benton had a awful game and Lutz had a couple untimely holding calls and drops as well.  Ugly loss but there is always next week. Florida is a VERY winnable game and I'm sure our coaching staff will regroup and get them ready for Florida. WDE!!!  :wareagle:

The first holding call on Lutz was bullcrap. It just wasn't there and it was a drive killer.  :banghead:

That call wasnt just a drive killer, the game turned after that play...

This is true about catching the ball. But a D1 QB should get better at throwing the ball.

That's true but I think there's only about three starting QB's in the SEC that I would call good - Murray, Wilson and Bray.  The jury is still out on Connor Shaw but he looked good today.

I am glad he didn't play against us.

Clint needs a shot plain and simple. He was a winner in high school and is bigger and faster than trotter and has a better arm. He certainly couldnt have a worse touch on his passes than Trotter. The starting QB competition went down to wire so the gap between them at that point wasnt much.  Clint knows the plays better than he did before the season and can run the ball better than Trotter.  There is absolutely NO REASON not to give him a shot in a meaningful situation. Some player just need that kind of chance to break thru and shine.

Trotter has not looked sharp/crisp since he got hit pretty hard in the first half against Clemson (he was rolling around on the ground and took a little time getting off the field).  Since that incident, the offense has scored 3 (second half against Clemson), 23 against FAU, 16 against SC, and now 14 against Arkansas. 

3 of the first 4 drives against Clemson, our offense looked GREAT.  I don't think it has looked better this year.  Since that time, we have run "our offense" (fast paced, up-tempo) only once to my memory, and that was our last drive against Clemson, which resulted in an interception at the 5 yard line. 

I don't know if our offensive coaches don't have enough confidence (at the present time) in Trotter to run more than what we have been running, but tonight, we were VERY PREDICTABLE.  It is obvious that Trotter is not a threat to run AT ANY TIME.  This is not a knock on him, just stating facts.  Tonight, he was not a threat to pass...partly his fault, partly to receivers dropping passes.

I am not saying that the Clemson hit had any effect on Trotter, other than it was a starting point for his less than stellar performances.  CGM's offense shines with a mobile quarterback (see last year).  Frazier seems to fit that bill better than anyone we have on the sidelines this year.  Yes, he threw 2 interceptions tonight, and yes, he is a true freshman.  We need to play for the future, and the future is now.

With all that being said, I don't get paid a dime to coach Auburn University football.  I will leave that to the current coaches getting paid nicely to do that.  What I will do is attend next week's game against Florida, where I have plunked down good money, and cheer on the Tigers.

ALL IN ALL, IT IS GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER!!!!!

How many throws/passes has a QB thrown in their life since childhood, and how many catches has an aspiring receiver made in their life, up to this point in their college careers? From when they were knee high to a grass hopper, every male in this country has been throwing a football, envisioning themselves as the next greatest QB to walk the earth. And then anyone running a route in the back yard thinks of themselves as the next greatest receiver to grace the grid iron.

My point being, why does it seem like our QB's are playing/throwing like they just started playing football yesterday and our receivers are catching like they've played soccer all their lives and haven't had to think about trying to catch a ball with their hands yet? I don't get it.

It seems like with Malzahn's spread offense, you're holding out for that perfect QB who has a natural throwing arm and a natural gift to run the ball. Anything outside of that, and you either get more of one thing (less of the other) and it's not enough. If you're a runner, you effectively become a third RB and there's not enough time to practice throwing/passing for you to become a legitimate downfield threat; stack the box, apply the pressure and you've got the spread, dual threat QB where you want him (at least in our O). There are too many options, none of which are good enough, but we don't have time/patience to spend on developing the one we need to. I just don't think Trotter's throwing action is conducive to a good passing threat offense.

Archived