Chuck Oliver's take on Malzahn's departure

AtlantaAU

I this point I have no idea about our quarterback situation. I have reached the point that I do not have a lot of confidence in the two that were starters this season. I do not know what to think about the true freshman. He looks great running the ball. I've been told he's a great passer. Maybe we will get a chance to see that some day soon. Currently I am very concerned about this position.

The only thing I disagree with him on is this, I believe the future is very bright in the QB position at AUBURN.  I think CGM left because CGC wouldn't let him run his offense the way he wanted to run it.  I truly believe CGC was right in slowing down the offense.  It was just too predictable.  When everyone in the stands and watching at home knows the play that AUBURN is going to run, there's a problem.

I honestly think Chizik wanted him to leave. Both sides of the ball needed to be re-worked. Change regardless how painful the perception, is good...bring it on!  :thumbsup:   

I love listening to Chuck in ATL. His show is hilarious. He is usually spot on with any information on Auburn. He has said a couple disturbing things the past couple of days i haven't heard before. He said that early in the season Coach Pelton was struggling so much to coach the DL, that AU brought in a consultant to help him. He also said on the show today that he believes Michael Dyer has played his last down for Auburn.

I love listening to Chuck in ATL. His show is hilarious. He is usually spot on with any information on Auburn. He has said a couple disturbing things the past couple of days i haven't heard before. He said that early in the season Coach Pelton was struggling so much to coach the DL, that AU brought in a consultant to help him. He also said on the show today that he believes Michael Dyer has played his last down for Auburn.

I haven't been able to listen to their show this week, but that does sound yucky.  Hope he's wrong.  I know some people on Auburn boards don't care for him too much, but I like listening to him.  Funny, I was heavily involved with WEGL in the mid-80's and while recently looking at a yearbook photo I noticed Chuck in the shot.  I don't ever remember seeing him around the station.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what Chuck talks about.  He does not have ears inside Auburn's athletic dept. and has been wrong more than right regarding Auburn for a while now. 

i agree with pretty much everything in the article. the offense was doing OK till it was slowed and i dont blame chizik for slowing it because the defense was inept and desperate. i dont think gus' offense works unless either the pace is up or the oline is strong. gus might not have thought this team was going to improve enough for chizik to turn him loose again and his stock was falling.

Seems that a large number of people have have an opinion as to why Gus left.  Interesting that most of them don't even know Gus nor do they have much personal contact with the AU program.  Since we can't believe them all and most pieces have been written by people eager to cast some blame on Chiz or AU, I'm inclined to believe this version which implies that Gus was able to accomplish two of his dreams: 

1.  Coach in the state of Arkansas

2.  Be a head coach. 

When a job oppportunity offers you the chance to fulfil your dreams, money becomes a lesser issue.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gus-malzahn-to-arkansas-state-is-the-feel-good-story-of-the-year-in-college-football-2011-12

I wouldn't put too much stock into what Chuck talks about.  He does not have ears inside Auburn's athletic dept. and has been wrong more than right regarding Auburn for a while now. 

Im sorry but you are dead wrong on this. I've been listening to his show almost every day for 3 years and and his scoop on AU football and pretty much any SEC school has been very accurate. If you listen to his show regularly there isn't a way you could honestly say otherwise

Seems that a large number of people have have an opinion as to why Gus left.   Interesting that most of them don't even know Gus nor do they have much personal contact with the AU program.   Since we can't believe them all and most pieces have been written by people eager to cast some blame on Chiz or AU, I'm inclined to believe this version which implies that Gus was able to accomplish two of his dreams: 

1.  Coach in the state of Arkansas

2.  Be a head coach. 

When a job opportunity offers you the chance to fulfil your dreams, money becomes a lesser issue.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gus-malzahn-to-arkansas-state-is-the-feel-good-story-of-the-year-in-college-football-2011-12

IMO, all this is so true. Every lunatic with a keyboard or a radio show(not speaking of this person specifically) has an opinion, the issue is with new media is they all think that it is a valid opinion. Another voice in the choir doesn't always make it better, sometimes just louder.

One thing Chuck Oliver seemed to miss was the pre-existing relationship between Gus and Kiehl Frazier.  I don't think Gus had written Frazier off the way Oliver described it.

that part is speculation. it makes sense. gus would not publicly say anything negative about kiehl (or to his wife for that matter) but we all prematurely wanted kiehl to be great early and it looks like that is gonna take a lot more time than we all hoped for.

If that is true, then shouldn't a great OC have been able to come up with a way to slow down the offense and still be effective?  I love CGM and what he did while at AU, but if his offensive genius only works one way, then it kind of makes him one dimensional.  A great OC or DC should be able to make adjustments and work within the constraints that are there, (both situational and personnel). 

:dunno:

If that is true, then shouldn't a great OC have been able to come up with a way to slow down the offense and still be effective?   I love CGM and what he did while at AU, but if his offensive genius only works one way, then it kind of makes him one dimensional.   A great OC or DC should be able to make adjustments and work within the constraints that are there, (both situational and personnel).  

:dunno:

if he has the horses, an oc could do whatever he wants, probably. but when you have defeciencies you have to decide what gives you the best chance to win and go with it. for gus it is tempo. we could not block well enough to line up and let the defense catch its breath and go toe to toe with them. if we do hurry up we put our defense back on the field with their tongues hanging out and they gave up 600yards a game the first 3. it was lose-lose we had more defenciencies than we could scheme around and it caused us to lose the best oc in the country. imho, no one to blame just is what it is. the only concern i have about chizik is the hire of roof. not a blockbuster hire. and when chizik was hired i thought it wouldnt matter who the dc was we would consistently have a top 10 defense, im still hoping for this.

It's rare for assistants to have any kind of buyout...in fact, over the years most of them get one year contracts and have about zero job security.  That makes them easy to fire and of course...it's easy for them to move on if they sense any dissatisfaction...or have a chance to move up.  A nomadic lifestyle for lots of them...just look at the resumes of our staff. 

Chuck is way off on this...I guess the only way a coach leaves AU is via controversy.. Just can't leave to be a head coach in his home state, where he will cut his teeth as a HC, CGM has always said right opportunity..right time. But for some AU fans and others this cannot be true. The problem with the offense this year was, youth, poor execution, leadership, and just talent. You lose 4 SEC lineman and replace them with a new line up less Mosely. I expected struggles especially in execution, not to mention the schedule was just brutal.......

Archived