South Carolina Game

jwmboom7

Daggum, the Cox just can't put it in the hole.  They played Vandy kinda tough right after Vandy blew AU out, so they're not 0-16 bad; AU has just responded defensively in the 2nd half.  Most impressive half of basketball I've seen the Tigres play this year!

Nice win and great crowd support. 

:we:

There is still some work to do, but if we can't see the improvement and the defensive effort the guys are putting on the court, we aren't paying attention. Great effort/work ethic on the behalf of the staff and team (ok you too,westie ;D). Folks there is a day coming in the near future when we are going to be at the top of SEC, CTB has this headed in the right direction and it is the first time in years I've felt that way. We coming :we:

what is our record now? (regular & SEC games)

Thanks

With this afternoon's performance, I see the final SEC standings as such:

1. KY

2. VAN

3. MS ST

4. FLA

5. AL

6. OM

7. AU

8. AR

9. TN

10. LSU

11. GA

12. SC

I think that any of the teams 5-10 could get hot, steal a couple of road wins, ane move up or down in those 6 spots.

Great job Tigers! That 2nd half was awesome. Shout out to Charles Barkley for being there to support the team. That was a classy move and I'm sure the golf course was calling his name. Wow, if we could've got those 2 ot wins we'd be @ 4 SEC wins! CTB is making big strides. Great game all around but let me special congrat Sullivan on his big O and Gabriel. Chubb had I think FOUR blocks & Big rebounds too.

Great job Tigers! That 2nd half was awesome. Shout out to Charles Barkley for being there to support the team. That was a classy move and I'm sure the golf course was calling his name. Wow, if we could've got those 2 ot wins we'd be @ 4 SEC wins! CTB is making big strides. Great game all around but let me special congrat Sullivan on his big O and Gabriel. Chubb had I think FOUR blocks & Big rebounds too.

We did win one of those OT games.

I was there and it was awesome.  The team is gelling and FIGHTING now.  Something clicked at half time of that LSU game, and it is showing.  Auburn WILL NOT lay down the rest of this season. 

Frankie and Kenny both had great games, and Varez's ball handling and passing has settled in, and he is starting to impress. 

I was there and it was awesome.  The team is gelling and FIGHTING now.  Something clicked at half time of that LSU game, and it is showing.  Auburn WILL NOT lay down the rest of this season. 

Frankie and Kenny both had great games, and Varez's ball handling and passing has settled in, and he is starting to impress. 

So you noticed that too? I could almost feel it through the TV..... :laugh:

South Carolina appeared to have kinda quit for a large portion of the 2nd half.  Their shots were 1 and done, they turned the ball over a lot, and were giving up a lot of transition buckets (but this was greatly due to AU's increased pressure and defensive intensity).  Great energy, great win, but South Carolina is a bad team this year.  Let's see how our boys do at the Bud on Wednesday...any ideas on what the final free throw discrepancy will be?  I'll say Arkansas is gonna go +16 on free throw attempts.

i think payne has proven to the rest of the team that if you dont produce you will sit.  wallace/payne/langford have proven to the team that if you produce in your limited opportunities, then you will get more minutes.

with the depth that we have, we should be running full court press the entire game (that is the extent of my coaching suggestions that barbee does not need from me!) ...

seems as though barbee wants to play an up tempo transition game, mixed with a very slow deliberate half court O.  If our guys cant run with it based on our tenacious D then slow it to a crawl for a good shot.

1. KY

2. VAN

3. MS ST

4. FLA

5. AL

6. OM

7. AU

8. AR

9. TN

10. LSU

11. GA

12. SC

I think that any of the teams 5-10 could get hot, steal a couple of road wins, ane move up or down in those 6 spots.

Curious why OM is ahead of the good guys here.  AU beat 'em a few wks ago.  Granted it was a home game, and it went to double OT, but from where I sat AU looked like the better team.  Until I'm proven wrong, I say AU is better than OM. 

1. KY

2. VAN

3. MS ST

4. FLA

5. AL

6. OM

7. AU

8. AR

9. TN

10. LSU

11. GA

12. SC

Curious why OM is ahead of the good guys here.  AU beat 'em a few wks ago.  Granted it was a home game, and it went to double OT, but from where I sat AU looked like the better team.  Until I'm proven wrong, I say AU is better than OM. 

Like I mentioned, teams 5-10, or especially 5-9 on my list are like musical chairs.  It'll come down to who steals a road win from 1 or 2 of the others to determine their actual final rank.  But I did list Ole Miss ahead of AU right now b/c of last week's wins over a good Ms. State team (who beat AL and Vandy (in Nashville) on consecutive Saturdays, and Vandy is solid) and their win Sat. in Athens.  I would have had AL as a solid 5 the whole way, but after their tough stretch, they're 2-3 just like AU and LSU, and I see a definite possibility of them creeping toward a final SEC record of 9-7 or so.  I though FLA would be a def. 3 the whole way, but their home win vs. an outmatched LSU team just didn't impress me.  FLA lives and die by the 3.  But I will admit that it seems like OM is peaking right now, Bama has peaked in the pre-conf., and AU/ARK are poised to peak in the next couple of weeks imo.  The problem with GA and TN is that they each have to play UK, VAN, and FLA twice, and that'll cost them placement in the final standings.  We'll see!  Thanks for the interest in my post! WE!

1. KY

2. VAN

3. MS ST

4. FLA

5. AL

6. OM

7. AU

8. AR

9. TN

10. LSU

11. GA

12. SC

our rpi is 131 right now only ahead of Tenn and SC, OM is sitting at 34.

1. KY

2. VAN

3. MS ST

4. FLA

5. AL

6. OM

7. AU

8. AR

9. TN

10. LSU

11. GA

12. SC

our rpi is 131 right now only ahead of Tenn and SC, OM is sitting at 34.

I might be overthinking this, but I still think the best way to tell who has the better basketball team is to have them play basketball against each other.  Same with football, baseball, and most other sports.  If Ole Miss beats AU next time around, then you would probably have to defer to things like RPI, conference record, etc... but where we sit today, IMO, AU has the edge over Ole Miss. 

when each team has played 20 games, it doesn't make much sense to make judgments based on one of those 20, especially one that was on AU's home court and went to OT

when each team has played 20 games, it doesn't make much sense to make judgments based on one of those 20, especially one that was on AU's home court and went to OT

I disagree, and that's okay...just difference of opinions.  I was at the game and I watched them play.  Ole Miss did nothing to prove to me that they are better than AU.  If I remember correctly it took a pretty amazing run down the stretch for Ole Miss to tie it up.  AU held the lead for most of the game. It's not like AU just got lucky, they beat Ole Miss up and down the floor all day. 

Noe that I've written this, I realize it is very likely that AU will go to Oxford and lose by 40 just so I look like a Dum-ace. 

Archived